Reload this Page >

Grant of probate in Portugal

Grant of probate in Portugal

Old Mar 23rd 2017, 11:04 pm
Ndy
Just Joined

Ndy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Grant of probate in Portugal

Hi my dad had an account in Portugal bank and now after his death we are trying to sort of the account he had in bank, but they are asking for inheritance heir certificate..Something like that.we live in UK and we got the grant of probate, but we dont know how to go about it. Will the probate help to sort out bank accounts of my dad in Portugal. Apparently Portuguese bank wants heirs certificate and in London no one knows why do they need the when you have grant of probate.i don't understand what to do. Any advice?
Old Mar 23rd 2017, 11:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

AliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Grant of probate in Portugal

I'm sorry that you have to try and deal with this at such a sad time.
Was your father living in Portugal?
Did he have a will stating that he'd like to follow UK inheritance laws?
Portuguese inheritance rules are complicated.
Old Mar 24th 2017, 6:06 am
Ndy
Just Joined

Originally Posted by AliceCaroline
I'm sorry that you have to try and deal with this at such a sad time.
Was your father living in Portugal?
Did he have a will stating that he'd like to follow UK inheritance laws?
Portuguese inheritance rules are complicated.
Hi ,
No my dad was living in UK, and he had a will in the UK ,which was then we got the grant of probate.now that we have that will they accept it or make our life complicated. My mum can't deal with it as she doesn't know much about Portuguese language or we don't.
Old Mar 24th 2017, 7:11 am
BE Forum Addict

mfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond repute

Might I suggest you put it in the hands of an English speaking Portuguese lawyer close to where the bank is located.

It won't cost much & will save you a lot of headaches.

And sorry for your loss.
Old Mar 24th 2017, 8:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute

I'm wondering why your father had an account in a Portuguese bank? Does he have property here?
Mfesharne is right in suggesting a local lawyer to deal with this. UK law will prevail here and he/she will know what certificates to ask for. Lawyers here are not wildly expensive so don't worry too much about that aspect. If you say which is the closest town to the bank he used maybe someone can recommend a lawyer to you--- Sorry for your loss
Old Mar 24th 2017, 9:06 am
Ndy
Just Joined

Hi,
My dad used to live in Portugal and then he moved to UK. We did go once to sort out his account but at the time he had this card that was expired then when didn't get time to go back as we had to fly back to UK. The bank he has account is millennium bcp. They have an office here in London but doesn't really help much for us. Is it possible to find lawyer that speaks English and Portuguese over here or it ould be difficult ?
Old Mar 24th 2017, 9:30 am
BE Enthusiast

MrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really nice

Portuguese language is spoken by 215 million people and is the sixth most widely spoken language in the world. The odds on finding one of those who is a lawyer and based in the UK are better than certain. Don't know where you are in the UK but here is a list for London .. https://www.google.pt/search?q=briti...s+em+londres&*

A Google search for your preferred location will bring up a further list

Alternatively find a Portuguese Lawyer with a branch office in the UK - there are many of those too
Old Mar 24th 2017, 9:39 am
BE Forum Addict

mfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ndy
Hi,
My dad used to live in Portugal and then he moved to UK. We did go once to sort out his account but at the time he had this card that was expired then when didn't get time to go back as we had to fly back to UK. The bank he has account is millennium bcp. They have an office here in London but doesn't really help much for us. Is it possible to find lawyer that speaks English and Portuguese over here or it ould be difficult ?
If you can tell us the area the bank is in then someone could probably recommend an English speaking lawyer in that area.
Old Mar 24th 2017, 9:41 am
Ndy
Just Joined

Originally Posted by mfesharne
If you can tell us the area the bank is in then someone could probably recommend an English speaking lawyer in that area.
The bank is called millennium bcp
Old Mar 24th 2017, 9:54 am
BE Enthusiast

brodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of light

It is not the name of the bank we need but the name of the town that it is in (or the nearest large town)
Old Mar 24th 2017, 11:12 am
Ndy
Just Joined

I don't really know but, it's in Lisbon that's what i know. I don't know if that really helps much.
Old Mar 24th 2017, 4:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Ndy
I don't really know but, it's in Lisbon that's what i know. I don't know if that really helps much.
so the obvious answer is to find an English speaking lawyer based in Lisbon......

I'm sure someone here can recommend such a person.

Got there in the end hey!