Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Goodbye England...Hello Portugal!

Goodbye England...Hello Portugal!

Old Oct 31st 2006, 8:44 pm
Forum Regular

camogirl is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Goodbye England...Hello Portugal!

Evening All.

I hope you are all well.

What an amazing and informative and supportive website.

Well, we will be off soon. Can't wait. My family and I are all so excited to get to Portugal. Bought a property 'off the beaten track'.

House in UK sold a few weeks ago. Waiting for exchange and then completion date and then can start arranging flights and booking our dogs for travel.

Garage is partly filled with packed boxes. Trying to do a room every couple of days.

There is no going back for us. As a family we have discussed this move for 2 years now and we are all finally ready to go and make a new life.

IMHO this country has no future and is going to the dogs. Can't live a decent life anymore, too many new laws being laid. No future for our children.

We bought a place in Southern Portugal, in the Alentejo region. Our aim is to be self-sufficient in a year after settling.

Is there anyone else that has settled in this region or thereabouts. Our village is close to the town called, Ourique.

Goodnight All.

Regards,
Carole
Old Nov 1st 2006, 9:16 am

Cleri is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Goodbye England...Hello Portugal!

Hi Carole
Welcome!!!!
I bet you are very excited,and Im sure you are doing the right thing.
Hope all goes well with the house sale.

I like to think we are not informative at all Ha!
You may already have seen it but if not,go to expat focus website,it has loads of info on everything you need to know.
Of course that doesnt mean we wont help,but we are often not sober enough,well Ged isnt anyway
Ourique is a beautiful area,you will love it!
Best wishes Cleri x
Old Nov 1st 2006, 1:52 pm
Forum Regular

Hi gogirl,

We will all get on then because I look forward to wine o'clock.

Was in Portugal briefly to view the house last year and yes Ourique is lovely. Fairly central and not too far to drive to the beach.

Very excited and can't wait to get out of this sh1thole!!!
Old Nov 1st 2006, 3:39 pm
Digging the tunnel

langkate is a name known to alllangkate is a name known to alllangkate is a name known to alllangkate is a name known to alllangkate is a name known to alllangkate is a name known to alllangkate is a name known to alllangkate is a name known to alllangkate is a name known to alllangkate is a name known to alllangkate is a name known to all

Hi Camogirl

Lucky you being ready to go - still have another couple of years before we can even think about putting the house on the market and heading for Portugal. I hope everything works out for you. As Cleri says, join us also on expatfocus - everyone there is really friendly and there are lots of interesting threads going on.

Good luck

Kate
Old Nov 1st 2006, 4:34 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Kate,

When the count down starts it does tend to get a bit stressful. But I am taking things in my stride and as long as I do something everyday 'towards the cause' I feel better.

At the end of the day everything will fall into place. As each day passes we are cutting our bills down to size. Got rid of TV's in the house as TV license expired end Oct.
We decided to not renew. Got rid of Sky a few months ago. Car is going in a few weeks so no car insurance to pay. Will, however buy a car in Portugal so that cost will continue in a few months but we bought decent bikes so we will use that to go to the local shops to buy basics, initially.

Mortgage in Portugal is half of what we are paying here. Have downsized from 4 to 3 bedrooms. But we have more land. 10 times bigger than here. There is an olive grove but apparently if you want to remove it you have to get permission from the local council, so we have been told. I am not sure if this is the case.

Sorry for prattling on. Yes I have looked at the expat focus website. There is another one expats portugal

Do you use the same names on the expats focus or do you have a different username?

Two years will fly by. You have plenty of time to start planning. Will you buy or rent property?

All for now.

Cheers
Carole
Old Nov 1st 2006, 9:33 pm
Digging the tunnel

langkate is a name known to alllangkate is a name known to alllangkate is a name known to alllangkate is a name known to alllangkate is a name known to alllangkate is a name known to alllangkate is a name known to alllangkate is a name known to alllangkate is a name known to alllangkate is a name known to alllangkate is a name known to all

Hi Carole

All sounds idyllic and you seem to be very centered, which is great. I have the same name here and on expat focus. I also belong to the other site, but don't use that one so much. I envy you so much and cannot wait until our big adventure begins.

Much love.

Kate
Old Nov 1st 2006, 9:34 pm
Digging the tunnel

We already own a property in Vale da Telha. We bought the land a couple of years ago and the house has been built for over a year now, so we are all set.
Old Nov 1st 2006, 11:23 pm

anabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by camogirl
Evening All.

I hope you are all well.

What an amazing and informative and supportive website.

Well, we will be off soon. Can't wait. My family and I are all so excited to get to Portugal. Bought a property 'off the beaten track'.

House in UK sold a few weeks ago. Waiting for exchange and then completion date and then can start arranging flights and booking our dogs for travel.

Garage is partly filled with packed boxes. Trying to do a room every couple of days.

There is no going back for us. As a family we have discussed this move for 2 years now and we are all finally ready to go and make a new life.

IMHO this country has no future and is going to the dogs. Can't live a decent life anymore, too many new laws being laid. No future for our children.

We bought a place in Southern Portugal, in the Alentejo region. Our aim is to be self-sufficient in a year after settling.

Is there anyone else that has settled in this region or thereabouts. Our village is close to the town called, Ourique.

Goodnight All.

Regards,
Carole

I just want to wish you all the best! x
Old Dec 11th 2006, 3:01 pm
G'Day Mate

AussieFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeAussieFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeAussieFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeAussieFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeAussieFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeAussieFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeAussieFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeAussieFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeAussieFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeAussieFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeAussieFlyer has a reputation beyond repute

Alentejo, love it... Cercal do Alentejo, gorgeous!!!

Will post some piccies when i get home later on today.

Good luck Carole with the move.
Old Dec 14th 2006, 8:28 am
Forum Regular

violets'n'vanilla will become famous soon enough

Hi Camogirl,

violets'm'vanilla here

I'm new here, but still want to wish you and your family every good wish.
Hope all goes well for your family's future in Portugal.
As you can guess, not only am I new to this forum, but am a real greenhorn regarding moving over to Portugal.

'Boa sorte'

Did it really take you a year to buy?
Old Dec 14th 2006, 5:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

gedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by clerigogirl
Hi Carole
Welcome!!!!

Of course that doesnt mean we wont help,but we are often not sober enough,well Ged isnt anyway
Cheeky!! I was alright till I met up with you clerigo....but you certainly know how to drive a man to drink!! clerigo....gogirl (i had not thought of that) How about gogogirl.....hmm...I think that suits you better !

Welcome to the site camagirl...I hope it all works out fotr you over here!

Kate....all friendly on expatfocus....hmm....
Old Dec 14th 2006, 5:09 pm
---------

Nomad_H has a reputation beyond reputeNomad_H has a reputation beyond reputeNomad_H has a reputation beyond reputeNomad_H has a reputation beyond reputeNomad_H has a reputation beyond reputeNomad_H has a reputation beyond reputeNomad_H has a reputation beyond reputeNomad_H has a reputation beyond reputeNomad_H has a reputation beyond reputeNomad_H has a reputation beyond reputeNomad_H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gedscottish
Cheeky!! I was alright till I met up with you clerigo....but you certainly know how to drive a man to drink!! clerigo....gogirl (i had not thought of that) How about gogogirl.....hmm...I think that suits you better !

Nice one Ged!!
Old Dec 14th 2006, 5:29 pm
Escaped to the Sun

Mattiespeople is just really niceMattiespeople is just really niceMattiespeople is just really niceMattiespeople is just really niceMattiespeople is just really niceMattiespeople is just really niceMattiespeople is just really niceMattiespeople is just really niceMattiespeople is just really niceMattiespeople is just really niceMattiespeople is just really nice

Originally Posted by Nomad_H
Nice one Ged!!
Ola Ged & Nomad
not sure how Cleri will like being a gogogirl ! But then far better than being boring sod! Weather is fab vivid blue sky's and soft warm winter sun when you are in a corner out of the wind! Nomad you will so love it!!! Get here soon!
off for a glass off red cheers
Old Dec 14th 2006, 6:32 pm

Cleri is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by gedscottish

Actually I am quite flattered at my age to be a gogo girl Ha! bring it on!!!!
Ola Ged how goes it?
Nomad you are a cheeky monkey
Old Jan 12th 2007, 1:55 pm
Forum Regular

violets'n'vanilla will become famous soon enough

Hi all, has anyone heard how Camogirl is doing?

Just wondering how the move went for her.

byee

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.