Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Getting to and from the airport

Getting to and from the airport

Old May 13th 2007, 12:57 pm
Just Joined

last chance is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Getting to and from the airport

All being well, my wife and I will be buying a rural property in the north later this summer. We're not yet ready to retire and make it a permanent move but once we've got the place furnished and sorted, we'll be able to travel over for at least one weekend a month, plus a couple of longer holidays a year.

We're on a fairly tight budget so we want to cut costs as much as possible. Does anyone have any innovative suggestions for minimising the expense of travel to and from the airport? A taxi would be far too expensive, plus we'd then be left without transport for the weekend. Car hire, too, will work out expensive as a regular thing (unless anyone knows of any really good 'loyalty' deals). If we buy a car (or bring over a UK one) so that we've got transport, that still leaves us with the problem of getting to and fro the airport.

How do other holiday home owners solve this? Or is it an expense that has to be taken on the chin by those who choose to live out in the wilds!?
Old May 13th 2007, 1:30 pm
Forum Regular

Odd Balls is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Getting to and from the airport

Hi, where abouts are you in relation to the train? The train is cheap and from my experience punctual, taxi to the train station in Faro and then onwards?

Taxi to Tavira approx 35 euros, hopefully I am not being ripped off!

There is also various coach companies/ mini bus operators that you can use, otherwise unless anyone says any differently it is on the chin! OB
Old May 13th 2007, 2:25 pm
eheheheeeeeeeeeer!

gazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Odd Balls
Hi, where abouts are you in relation to the train? The train is cheap and from my experience punctual, taxi to the train station in Faro and then onwards?

There is also various coach companies/ mini bus operators that you can use, otherwise unless anyone says any differently it is on the chin! OB
any ideas how much the train from faro to lagos in the west might be OB?
Old May 13th 2007, 2:30 pm
Forum Regular

Odd Balls is an unknown quantity at this point

It cost 38euros return from Tavira to lagos for 2.OB
Old May 13th 2007, 2:32 pm
eheheheeeeeeeeeer!

gazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond repute

It cost 38euros return from Tavira to lagos for 2.OB
Old May 13th 2007, 2:55 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by last chance
All being well, my wife and I will be buying a rural property in the north later this summer. We're not yet ready to retire and make it a permanent move but once we've got the place furnished and sorted, we'll be able to travel over for at least one weekend a month, plus a couple of longer holidays a year.

We're on a fairly tight budget so we want to cut costs as much as possible. Does anyone have any innovative suggestions for minimising the expense of travel to and from the airport? A taxi would be far too expensive, plus we'd then be left without transport for the weekend. Car hire, too, will work out expensive as a regular thing (unless anyone knows of any really good 'loyalty' deals). If we buy a car (or bring over a UK one) so that we've got transport, that still leaves us with the problem of getting to and fro the airport.

How do other holiday home owners solve this? Or is it an expense that has to be taken on the chin by those who choose to live out in the wilds!?
It would help to know where exactly you mean to buy.
Old May 16th 2007, 9:59 am
Forum Regular

Tavira-Dream is just really niceTavira-Dream is just really niceTavira-Dream is just really niceTavira-Dream is just really niceTavira-Dream is just really niceTavira-Dream is just really niceTavira-Dream is just really niceTavira-Dream is just really niceTavira-Dream is just really niceTavira-Dream is just really niceTavira-Dream is just really nice

from Faro to Tavira you can get a transfer with resorthoppa.com for about 15.00 euro's both ways depending on time of year - I've used them twice now and they are very reliable
Old May 23rd 2007, 10:30 am
BE Enthusiast

bejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nice

Hi all,

We are getting close to buying a property near Ourique and the problem regarding to/from airport is something we will need to address while we are not permanent in PT.

We have hired a car on or visits to date and I guess we'll buy a car eventually, but until then, can anyone advise on alternatives from Faro to Ourique, e.g. train, mini-bus, other?

When Beja airport opens, that will ease things in terms of distance.

BB
Old May 27th 2007, 8:57 pm
Just Joined

Caja is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Last chance,just wanted to share our experience with you.
We were in a somewhat similar situation, luckily, we were able to give the house in the country, a trial run(several month vacations), without buying the house(long story). We had thought we would love it for retirement. Such beautiful countryside, miles away from anything, how wonderful. Not!! I recall one trip in Oct. Constant rain, cold (we had no means of heating, chimney clogged with birds nest), clapped out fridge, a stove that ran on gas from the cylinder, which had run out, before we arrived. No food and no shops to buy it in. Lucky we had some wine!
We couldn't even phone out for pizza! We had to drive for miles if we wanted anything at all, and that was day time only! It becomes a pain in the neck. We realised then, if we were to buy the house, we would have to run to the expense of having a car and keeping it maintained,there was no option, it still would not solve the problem of getting to and from the airport, there was no train/ bus service and taxi fares would have been out of the question. Other difficulties we observed, no medical service, not good in an emergency and we did have one of them, lack of services, plumbers & chimney sweeps, for example. After hashing and re-hashing our plan to retire there, our conclusion was, we gave up on the idea of the rural home,it would not have worked for us, we have now bought a place by the sea,with everything we could need only a short taxi ride away. Easy access for our visitors by train, from Lisbon/Porto . We're glad we took a second look at things , in all honesty it would have been a very costly mistake for us.
Plan wisely and Good Luck!
Old May 27th 2007, 9:13 pm

Cleri is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Caja
Hi Last chance,just wanted to share our experience with you.
We were in a somewhat similar situation, luckily, we were able to give the house in the country, a trial run(several month vacations), without buying the house(long story). We had thought we would love it for retirement. Such beautiful countryside, miles away from anything, how wonderful. Not!! I recall one trip in Oct. Constant rain, cold (we had no means of heating, chimney clogged with birds nest), clapped out fridge, a stove that ran on gas from the cylinder, which had run out, before we arrived. No food and no shops to buy it in. Lucky we had some wine!
We couldn't even phone out for pizza! We had to drive for miles if we wanted anything at all, and that was day time only! It becomes a pain in the neck. We realised then, if we were to buy the house, we would have to run to the expense of having a car and keeping it maintained,there was no option, it still would not solve the problem of getting to and from the airport, there was no train/ bus service and taxi fares would have been out of the question. Other difficulties we observed, no medical service, not good in an emergency and we did have one of them, lack of services, plumbers & chimney sweeps, for example. After hashing and re-hashing our plan to retire there, our conclusion was, we gave up on the idea of the rural home,it would not have worked for us, we have now bought a place by the sea,with everything we could need only a short taxi ride away. Easy access for our visitors by train, from Lisbon/Porto . We're glad we took a second look at things , in all honesty it would have been a very costly mistake for us.
Plan wisely and Good Luck!
I agree totally.
After living here in Algarve,the thought of living in a field sounded like bliss.
Luckily common sense kicked in.
We have to be near amenities,its what we are used to.
Have hopefully found the perfect solution,a small Portuguese village,but only 10 mins drive to Big civilisation........perfect,i hope!!!!
It looks good on paper,but................also on our house hunting trip we saw a beautiful house,in the middle of nowhere,and lo and behold,they are planning a golf course 5 mins away,think of the construction,and villas etc being built on the doorstep,it was a beautiful location.....but not for long