Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

General info please

General info please

Old Jul 6th 2017, 3:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: General info please

Originally Posted by callumalden
Excellent info- cheeky question... does anyone have a vague idea of the cost for someone in their 30s perhaps? I'm just curious.
Go to www.afpop.com
All information on Allianz cover there even for someone in their 30s....
Old Jul 6th 2017, 6:29 pm
Forum Regular

coffeeman is just really nicecoffeeman is just really nicecoffeeman is just really nicecoffeeman is just really nicecoffeeman is just really nicecoffeeman is just really nicecoffeeman is just really nicecoffeeman is just really nice

Originally Posted by callumalden
Excellent info- cheeky question... does anyone have a vague idea of the cost for someone in their 30s perhaps? I'm just curious.
Also try Fidelidade online, i have nothing to do with them only i got my health cover from them.€40pcm
Old Jul 7th 2017, 5:38 am
Just Joined

Escocia is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Loafing Along
There is an Expat organisation Afpop which has a deal with Allianz at very reasonable price , for someone of your age a plan will be about Euro 800,- a year and, unlike many schemes in Portugal they cover you when you are over 70. Only drawback it is an annual policy and the premium has to be paid as a lump sum in January. Otherwise excellent scheme

The national health service here is also very good - our local GP excellent, very thorough and seems to have "all the time in the world" inspite of the pressures to meet patient processing time deadlines.
Hi again, had a quick look in this Afpop site, I do not see any reference to this insurance company Allianz, it is not listed anywhere on the site, there is another insurance broker listed as a partner but not this company.
I will try to get Allianz direct on the net and see, because an Algarve specific group is not really any benefit to me living close to Lisbon.
Old Jul 7th 2017, 12:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Escocia
Hi again, had a quick look in this Afpop site, I do not see any reference to this insurance company Allianz, it is not listed anywhere on the site, there is another insurance broker listed as a partner but not this company.
I will try to get Allianz direct on the net and see, because an Algarve specific group is not really any benefit to me living close to Lisbon.
Sorry yes it is the Medal insurance broker on the Afpop site. You need to be a member of the group to get the special price on the insurance but that is a "One-Off" charge and , as far as I know, they are not "Algarve Exclusive"
Old Jul 7th 2017, 1:22 pm
Just Joined

Escocia is an unknown quantity at this point

OK I see that one, but is the health policy with Allianz or someone else, who is the actual company that insures you, I may have had quotes from them before as I have had a lot so don't want to waste time going over old leads or contact with insurance companies. If anyone knows which actual insurance company it is that would be helpful.
Old Jul 7th 2017, 2:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Escocia
OK I see that one, but is the health policy with Allianz or someone else, who is the actual company that insures you, I may have had quotes from them before as I have had a lot so don't want to waste time going over old leads or contact with insurance companies. If anyone knows which actual insurance company it is that would be helpful.
It is Allianz with a specific rate and price structure via Medal/Afpop
Old Jul 7th 2017, 7:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ukkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to all

Believe you me but I am a free loader and a cheap skate. There is NO medical insurance cheaper than Allianz via Medal via AFPOP.
I did many hours of research on this and it is one of a very few or perhaps the only one that insures you after the age of 70.
Old Jul 8th 2017, 8:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute

We have the Afpop / allianz plan and we're super happy with it.
Short wait times at the private hospital
Had many diagnostics, treatments, and a couple of surgeries.

However, it should be said that there are limitations; annual spending limit [depends on which plan you choose], no cover for some diseases including HIV and hepatitis, no cover for work related injuries.

If you're a resident of Portugal you qualify for free social medical cover; you can have both.
When you have the Portuguese state insurance number, medicines are much cheaper. Automatic discount at the pharmacy.
Old Jul 17th 2017, 9:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Pilou is a jewel in the roughPilou is a jewel in the roughPilou is a jewel in the roughPilou is a jewel in the roughPilou is a jewel in the rough

Hi,
We (both Dutch) plan to immigrate to Portugal at the end of the year. We are not retired yet, but in 2 / 3 years.

I read that every legal resident in Portugal is able to join the social security/ national health, BUT in order to become a legal resident you need to proof you have a valid health insurance. We are not covered by any other national health system once we immigrate to Portugal!

Does this mean we need to start with a private insurance in order to become legal resident and once we are resident, we can join the national health care??

The problem I have with private insurance is that for example you have high blood pressure, they exclude everything related to that. So that is risky. Therefore I like to be covered by a national health system.
Old Jul 17th 2017, 11:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Ukkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to all

When I applied for residency they did not ask if I had private medical at all. My wife who is from South Africa had to apply at SEF and they too did not ask for her medical insurance. They sent her to the local health center to get her PT health card (SNS number)
Old Jul 17th 2017, 11:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Ukkram
When I applied for residency they did not ask if I had private medical at all. My wife who is from South Africa had to apply at SEF and they too did not ask for her medical insurance. They sent her to the local health center to get her PT health card (SNS number)
Exactly , residency and health care treated quite separately. We actually did our SS healthcare application at the local Social Security office who issued a certificate we took to the Health Centre to register.
Old Jul 17th 2017, 12:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pilou is a jewel in the roughPilou is a jewel in the roughPilou is a jewel in the roughPilou is a jewel in the roughPilou is a jewel in the rough

I read this:

"Portuguese immigration policy for longer than 90 days
If you are an EU/EFTA citizen in Portugal for more than 90 days (three months), you will need to get a registration certificate from your local city council to formalise your residence in Portugal. Each member in your family will need to be registered. You will also typically need to sign up to social security in Portugal.

The registration certificate is valid for five years. Once you have been in Portugal for 90 days, you have 30 days to apply for your registration certificate. The cost is around EUR 15.

To apply for the registration certificate, you will need:

a valid passport/travel ID
written confirmation of employment or self-employment, or that you have sufficient funds for you and your family to stay in Portugal
proof of health insurance in Portugal (if the same applies to Portuguese citizens in your country of origin)."

Proof of health insurance needed in order to become a resident?
Old Jul 17th 2017, 12:44 pm
Forum Regular

rollermum83 is on a distinguished road

Hi we have just done the residency form was 15eu each provided passport and fiscal no copy of bank book/statement and done. Nothing about healthcare or proof of work. Depends where you are in Portugal I think
Old Jul 17th 2017, 6:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute

The health insurance requirement was for non-EU emigrants as I recall, and was dropped when the rules changed so all residents get Portuguese health insurance.
Old Jul 17th 2017, 9:52 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rollermum83
Hi we have just done the residency form was 15eu each provided passport and fiscal no copy of bank book/statement and done. Nothing about healthcare or proof of work. Depends where you are in Portugal I think
Welcome to "the Portuguese way". Like most bureaucratic requirements, it depends on what day of the week it is and who you speak to.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.