Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

General info please

General info please

Old Jun 17th 2017, 10:24 am
Just Joined

BrazilBill is an unknown quantity at this point
Default General info please

I am British but have lived in Brazil for 11 years with full residency. My wife is Brazilian but has dual Italian nationality through her father so between us we guess we qualify for residency in Portugal.

We intend to sell our property here and then live in Portugal off my UK pension and Brazilian investment income.

We will have approx 120,000.00 Euros to purchase a property and a total monthly income of around 2,700.00 Euros.

Does the above stack up financially to a reasonable life in somewhere like Braga?

I appreciate there are various cost comparison sites on the web but in practice these don't always add up.
Old Jun 17th 2017, 10:49 am
BE Forum Addict

mfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: General info please

Yes you do qualify for residency & the monthly income will allow you to live relatively well.

As for lump sum & property prices, the best thing you can do is look at websites for the local estate agents & see if that amount will buy you what you want/need.
Old Jun 17th 2017, 11:48 am
Just Joined

Thanks for responding.

We've already looked at property types and reckon we can get an apartment with enough outside area for a few pots and a view for well less than 100,00.00 Euros so that equates. Also, we won't be running a car so that will be a considerable chunk not needed every month.

The only major concern we have is medical costs. I'm 67 and with the uncertainty of Brexit may end up having to buy a private plan and I've not been able to source a cost for this. The comparison sites either want some agent to call you or what might or might not be included is too difficult to define from the online blurb.

My wife is 20 years younger than me and we suppose her half Italian status will get her access into free or at least subsidized health care.
Old Jun 17th 2017, 2:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

mfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond repute

I'd say you're both covered on the NHS issue & the residency issue even after Brexit.

If your wife is half Italian then she's presumably entitled to an Italian passport and with that she'll have right to reside anywhere in the EU (even after Brexit) & she'll have the right for you to reside with her under the reunification of family rules and as right to PT NHS care is based solely on residence you're as entitled to the same care as any Portuguese person.
Old Jun 17th 2017, 3:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BrazilBill
Thanks for responding.

We've already looked at property types and reckon we can get an apartment with enough outside area for a few pots and a view for well less than 100,00.00 Euros so that equates. Also, we won't be running a car so that will be a considerable chunk not needed every month.

The only major concern we have is medical costs. I'm 67 and with the uncertainty of Brexit may end up having to buy a private plan and I've not been able to source a cost for this. The comparison sites either want some agent to call you or what might or might not be included is too difficult to define from the online blurb.

My wife is 20 years younger than me and we suppose her half Italian status will get her access into free or at least subsidized health care.
There is an Expat organisation Afpop which has a deal with Allianz at very reasonable price , for someone of your age a plan will be about Euro 800,- a year and, unlike many schemes in Portugal they cover you when you are over 70. Only drawback it is an annual policy and the premium has to be paid as a lump sum in January. Otherwise excellent scheme

The national health service here is also very good - our local GP excellent, very thorough and seems to have "all the time in the world" inspite of the pressures to meet patient processing time deadlines.

Last edited by Loafing Along; Jun 17th 2017 at 3:47 pm.
Old Jun 17th 2017, 3:53 pm
Forum Regular

zoff is just really nicezoff is just really nicezoff is just really nicezoff is just really nicezoff is just really nicezoff is just really nicezoff is just really nicezoff is just really nice

Originally Posted by Loafing Along
The national health service here is also very good - our local GP excellent, very thorough and seems to have "all the time in the world" inspite of the pressures to meet patient processing time deadlines.
Does one have to go to the local GP or to any GP?
Old Jun 17th 2017, 3:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zoff
Does one have to go to the local GP or to any GP?
When we arrived ( UK pensioner with S1 in hand and Spanish wife ) we registered with the Social Security . Then received a number which we then had to present to the local Health Centre and we were allocated a GP.

Now when we make an online appointment we automatically get it with the same GP. Should we need "Out of Hours" service there is a clinic linked to the surgery complex which we can go to. Never been so no idea whom we would see but presumably a duty GP, not our own.
Sensible parts of system :
1. Everyone has to pay Euro 4,50 for the appointment
2. Blood tests etc etc are done on GP's instruction but at private clinics
3. Prescriptions reduced in price but not"super cheap"
Old Jun 17th 2017, 4:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Just to add to the above, consultation & prescription fees are waived or partially waived for certain groups of people such as diabetics etc & they also have a clever system where a code for those same groups of people is automatically sent elsewhere so they automatically get 'social discounts' on things such as electricity bills etc.
Old Jun 17th 2017, 4:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by mfesharne
Just to add to the above, consultation & prescription fees are waived or partially waived for certain groups of people such as diabetics etc & they also have a clever system where a code for those same groups of people is automatically sent elsewhere so they automatically get 'social discounts' on things such as electricity bills etc.
Old Jun 17th 2017, 5:07 pm
Just Joined

Many thanks again for the responses.

The UK NHS card I had has long expired but from the information posted here I'm pretty sure it won't be a problem registering with the local system.
Old Jun 17th 2017, 5:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Many thanks again for the responses.

The UK NHS card I had has long expired but from the information posted here I'm pretty sure it won't be a problem registering with the local system.
Presumably you still have your NI Nº ? If so speak with the SS people, think they are in Newcastle as UK probably still has a responsibility for you ( number of years contributions is the key ) and will have to issue an S1 - key to registering in an EU country medical system at the moment for a pensioner
Old Jun 17th 2017, 5:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

I am British but have lived in Brazil for 11 years with full residency. My wife is Brazilian but has dual Italian nationality through her father so between us we guess we qualify for residency in Portugal.

We intend to sell our property here and then live in Portugal off my UK pension and Brazilian investment income.

We will have approx 120,000.00 Euros to purchase a property and a total monthly income of around 2,700.00 Euros.

Does the above stack up financially to a reasonable life in somewhere like Braga?

I appreciate there are various cost comparison sites on the web but in practice these don't always add up.
Final question - have you worked and paid SS contributions in Brasil ? If so maybe entitled to a pension from them as well .. I was there for six years and now receive a "Salario Minimo" . As the Tesco Ad goes "Every Little Bit Helps"
Old Jun 17th 2017, 5:18 pm
Just Joined

Presumably you still have your NI Nº ? If so speak with the SS people, think they are in Newcastle as UK probably still has a responsibility for you ( number of years contributions is the key ) and will have to issue an S1 - key to registering in an EU country medical system at the moment for a pensioner
Thanks. I read about the need for an S1 but wasn't sure if this could be issued remotely. Certainly will not be possible to go back to the UK to achieve this but I'll ring the DHS to find out.
Old Jun 17th 2017, 5:21 pm
Just Joined

Final question - have you worked and paid SS contributions in Brasil ? If so maybe entitled to a pension from them as well .. I was there for six years and now receive a "Salario Minimo" . As the Tesco Ad goes "Every Little Bit Helps"
Good point. I have never worked as such (physically) in Brazil but I have received a salary for 8 years into my Brazilian account for a web consultancy job. This income has always been declared in Brazil and I do have the necessary documentation for it. Not sure if this alone gets me anything from Brazil but I'll check to find out.
Old Jun 17th 2017, 5:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Good point. I have never worked as such (physically) in Brazil but I have received a salary for 8 years into my Brazilian account for a web consultancy job. This income has always been declared in Brazil and I do have the necessary documentation for it. Not sure if this alone gets me anything from Brazil but I'll check to find out.
You need to have made SS contributions and you should know if you have done that. Paying taxes is not enough

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.