Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Gas water heater problem.

Gas water heater problem.

Old Jan 29th 2017, 10:05 am
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Gas water heater problem.

Originally Posted by Ukkram
This flat is a relatively new build and modern.
I throttled that strange knob lower but it had no effect on the water volume at all but the flame got smaller.

I then got clever and thought to throttle the water supply tap. This also made the flame smaller.

Seems I'm stuck with the kettle to up my bath temperature in winter. This is a schlep.
It could be down to the temperature of the gas supply ...... the previous owners of my house found that in the winter that they sometimes got poor combustion and a lukewarm bath. They got around this by swapping to propane in the winter, as the standard butane gasifies at a higher temperature than the propane, although it's generally more efficient. I get around it by taking showers!

Not much help to you, as you're on piped supply - but it might be worth talking to EDP to see if anything can be done.
Old Jan 29th 2017, 6:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute

That's an issue with liquefied butane in bottles, but does not affect natural gas [city gas supply].
Old Jan 29th 2017, 8:38 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by liveaboard
That's an issue with liquefied butane in bottles, but does not affect natural gas [city gas supply].
Sorry, I'm not an expert on EDPs gas supply- are you? As I said, it's worth raising the issue with them if the heater fails to produce sufficient water at a high enough temperature for a bath.
Old Jan 30th 2017, 9:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Ingles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond repute

If you live in a area that has "hard" water , then it's possibly that the heater tubing coil flow is restricted due to a build up off calcium deposit in the tubing.
Once again I suggest getting in a professional to check it over.
Old Jan 30th 2017, 10:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Ukkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Ingles
If you live in a area that has "hard" water , then it's possibly that the heater tubing coil flow is restricted due to a build up off calcium deposit in the tubing.
Once again I suggest getting in a professional to check it over.
The water pressure is strong so there cannot be a restriction. Also, the gas flame is strong and high. I can actually hear the flame throughout the flat.
I just don't get it.
Old Jan 30th 2017, 12:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

RichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond repute

It may be stating the obvious but have you tried reducing the rate at which you fill your bath using the bath tap? The heater can only produce a limited amount of heat which either means you have a lot of warm water or a lesser amount of hotter water. The reduced temperature of the incoming water in winter will also be a factor as more heating will be needed to reach the same target temperature. If the water is flowing more slowly, it can get hotter.

There will probably be a minimum flow requirement to keep the flame alight - you may need to experiment.
Old Jan 30th 2017, 12:54 pm
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RichardHenshall
It may be stating the obvious but have you tried reducing the rate at which you fill your bath using the bath tap? The heater can only produce a limited amount of heat which either means you have a lot of warm water or a lesser amount of hotter water. The reduced temperature of the incoming water in winter will also be a factor as more heating will be needed to reach the same target temperature. If the water is flowing more slowly, it can get hotter.

There will probably be a minimum flow requirement to keep the flame alight - you may need to experiment.
The mains water is certainly much cooler in winter, we do not need anything like the same amount of cold.
Its a good suggestion.
Old Mar 25th 2017, 5:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ukkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to all

As I was saying some 2 months ago that I had a problem with the gas boiler not heating up the water enough so now it got worse. It stopped working altogether.

I could hear the clicking of the starter and the pilot flame would light but no gas came out the nozzles. I phoned EDP and 3 days later they still did not respond so I replaced the 2 batteries and voila...I had flame and hot water.

There must be a battery monitor circuit that for safety it would shut off the gas if the voltage got too low. Although it kept sparking and lit the pilot flame, the battery voltage was just not sufficient to open the main gas valve.

Just thought I'll post this info should it happen to others.
Old Mar 25th 2017, 5:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ingles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond repute

Hi.Ukkram, Thanks for posting this info , It broadens the check list if any body has a similar problem.
Old Mar 25th 2017, 5:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

carvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond repute

if you know the make of the boiler try and find the manual online
that someties helps

forget it just read the happy ending