Go Back   British Expats / Living & Moving Abroad / Europe / Portugal

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old Nov 29th 2017, 7:48 pm   #1
Pilou Female
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Jul 2017
Location: Spain but soon Portugal
Posts: 260
Pilou is a jewel in the roughPilou is a jewel in the roughPilou is a jewel in the roughPilou is a jewel in the roughPilou is a jewel in the rough
Default gas butano

What is the price for a bottle butano?
I know it is more expensive than in Spain.
Today I saw at AKI: Rubis Gas 13 kg butano Tara EUR 9.

What does that mean? That cannot be the price for 13 kg gas?
Pilou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29th 2017, 8:51 pm   #2
Rather sunburnt
 
Red Eric's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2014
Location: Arcos de Valdevez, Portugal. UNESCO World Biosphere Reserve.
Posts: 6,379
Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: gas butano

About €24.

The €9 is the deposit on the canister.
__________________
Still a bit ginger, after all these years
Red Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29th 2017, 9:27 pm   #3
Pilou Female
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Jul 2017
Location: Spain but soon Portugal
Posts: 260
Pilou is a jewel in the roughPilou is a jewel in the roughPilou is a jewel in the roughPilou is a jewel in the roughPilou is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: gas butano

Thanks!
Pilou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11th 2017, 9:15 pm   #4
Pilou Female
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Jul 2017
Location: Spain but soon Portugal
Posts: 260
Pilou is a jewel in the roughPilou is a jewel in the roughPilou is a jewel in the roughPilou is a jewel in the roughPilou is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: gas butano

Hi,

Can I buy gas bottles or is a technical check of the installation at home neccesary before I can buy (like in Spain)?

Thanks
Pilou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11th 2017, 11:58 pm   #5
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: Belfast & Luz
Posts: 559
RichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: gas butano

I think that you might encounter that problem if you ask a supplier to deliver and connect the bottles for you. If you go to a supplier and buy the bottles how can they possibly know what you are going to do with them? I've never been asked for proof of anything.
RichardHenshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12th 2017, 8:30 am   #6
Pilou Female
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Jul 2017
Location: Spain but soon Portugal
Posts: 260
Pilou is a jewel in the roughPilou is a jewel in the roughPilou is a jewel in the roughPilou is a jewel in the roughPilou is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: gas butano

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardHenshall View Post
I think that you might encounter that problem if you ask a supplier to deliver and connect the bottles for you. If you go to a supplier and buy the bottles how can they possibly know what you are going to do with them? I've never been asked for proof of anything.
Thanks. We now contacted a plumber / company who works with Rubis to install a gas heater. We will ask him to deliver 2 new bottles.

I also read the discussion in the government about the high prices for butano/ propano. They want to change that in 2018. The government wants a maximum price.
In Spain we pay +/- EUR 15.50 for 13 kg butano.

Wait and see.
Pilou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15th 2017, 10:12 am   #7
BE Forum Addict
 
liveaboard's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,676
liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: gas butano

I believe electric would be cheaper, especially if you have a storage boiler run on night rate power.
liveaboard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15th 2017, 10:15 am   #8
Pilou Female
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Jul 2017
Location: Spain but soon Portugal
Posts: 260
Pilou is a jewel in the roughPilou is a jewel in the roughPilou is a jewel in the roughPilou is a jewel in the roughPilou is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: gas butano

Quote:
Originally Posted by liveaboard View Post
I believe electric would be cheaper, especially if you have a storage boiler run on night rate power.
The place where we need to put the new one is too small for an electric one. The chimney is already in place. So no other choice for us at the moment.
Pilou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17th 2017, 3:02 am   #9
zoff Male
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Dec 2015
Location: New Jersey, USA - Porches, Algarve
Posts: 72
zoff is just really nicezoff is just really nicezoff is just really nicezoff is just really nicezoff is just really nicezoff is just really nicezoff is just really nicezoff is just really nice
Default Re: gas butano

Quote:
Originally Posted by liveaboard View Post
I believe electric would be cheaper, especially if you have a storage boiler run on night rate power.
I've recently heard that butane is now illegal in apartments. Is this true?
zoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19th 2017, 6:11 pm   #10
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Tavira
Posts: 406
Jonny22 has a brilliant futureJonny22 has a brilliant futureJonny22 has a brilliant futureJonny22 has a brilliant futureJonny22 has a brilliant futureJonny22 has a brilliant future
Default Re: gas butano

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoff View Post
I've recently heard that butane is now illegal in apartments. Is this true?
I don’t know if it’s actually illegal but a friend of mine told me that it was prohibited in her block of apartments. Don’t know if that’s law or just a condominium safety issue. As an aside we were discussing the price of gas here vs the U.K. Her apartment has mains gas but is provided by a distributor from a storage tank in the area, so it’s probally propane or butane. Looking at her gas bill the distributor is charging her €5 a cubic meter which by my sums makes that about 50 cents a kW vs 20 cents or so for electricity. Natural gas in the UK is more like 5p a kWh. So 10 times more expensive for her. I know there’s calorific differences but it still doesn’t add up.

To rub salt in the wounds, if you check the Galp website for natural gas pricing, where it’s available, only up north, they show prices similar to the UK. So no wonder portuguese houses are so cold, no-one can afford to heat them. If Portugal had a nationwide natural gas system a lot more people could afford to heat their homes but I guess that will never happen.
Jonny22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19th 2017, 6:23 pm   #11
EMR 
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 19,534
EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: gas butano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny22 View Post
I don’t know if it’s actually illegal but a friend of mine told me that it was prohibited in her block of apartments. Don’t know if that’s law or just a condominium safety issue. As an aside we were discussing the price of gas here vs the U.K. Her apartment has mains gas but is provided by a distributor from a storage tank in the area, so it’s probally propane or butane. Looking at her gas bill the distributor is charging her €5 a cubic meter which by my sums makes that about 50 cents a kW vs 20 cents or so for electricity. Natural gas in the UK is more like 5p a kWh. So 10 times more expensive for her. I know there’s calorific differences but it still doesn’t add up.



To rub salt in the wounds, if you check the Galp website for natural gas pricing, where it’s available, only up north, they show prices similar to the UK. So no wonder portuguese houses are so cold, no-one can afford to heat them. If Portugal had a nationwide natural gas system a lot more people could afford to heat their homes but I guess that will never happen.
Simply because unlike the UK Portugal does not have its own natural gas fields and the pipeline system that connects the UK to continental ,Russian gas also does not exist in Portugal.
Any attempts by the Portuguese to search for oil and gas are met with
protests from environmentalists and the tourist industry.
EMR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19th 2017, 6:32 pm   #12
Pilou Female
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Jul 2017
Location: Spain but soon Portugal
Posts: 260
Pilou is a jewel in the roughPilou is a jewel in the roughPilou is a jewel in the roughPilou is a jewel in the roughPilou is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: gas butano

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoff View Post
I've recently heard that butane is now illegal in apartments. Is this true?
Maybe!
We have a house and we contacted a professional who will install the gas boiler. The gas bottle will be outside.
Pilou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19th 2017, 7:25 pm   #13
I still dont believe it..
 
Joined: Oct 2013
Location: 12 degrees north
Posts: 1,608
uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: gas butano

Thats interesting, rubis is a supplier here in the caribbean, gas is from venezuela, a cylinder is about 12 euros for 30 pounds weight [bit cheaper than spain i think.]
__________________
Just over 64.3% of statistics are made up, the rest are lies.
uk_grenada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19th 2017, 8:08 pm   #14
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Tavira
Posts: 406
Jonny22 has a brilliant futureJonny22 has a brilliant futureJonny22 has a brilliant futureJonny22 has a brilliant futureJonny22 has a brilliant futureJonny22 has a brilliant future
Default Re: gas butano

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMR View Post
Simply because unlike the UK Portugal does not have its own natural gas fields and the pipeline system that connects the UK to continental ,Russian gas also does not exist in Portugal.
Any attempts by the Portuguese to search for oil and gas are met with
protests from environmentalists and the tourist industry.
Point taken. So where do Lisbon and Porto get their gas from where they can charge 5c a kW and in the Algarve it’s 10x the price? No Russian pipelines to Lisbon or Porto.
Jonny22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19th 2017, 8:12 pm   #15
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Tavira
Posts: 406
Jonny22 has a brilliant futureJonny22 has a brilliant futureJonny22 has a brilliant futureJonny22 has a brilliant futureJonny22 has a brilliant futureJonny22 has a brilliant future
Default Re: gas butano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilou View Post
Maybe!
We have a house and we contacted a professional who will install the gas boiler. The gas bottle will be outside.
Just as advice. If the gas bottles are outside and you have space, ask him to install a 2 bottle manifold so when one runs out you can switch over without the need to change bottles immediately. That’ll buy you time.
Jonny22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   British Expats / Living & Moving Abroad / Europe / Portugal


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT. The time now is 12:13 am.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 1999-2010 BritishExpats.com