Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Pay tax on money earned here ?

Pay tax on money earned here ?

Old May 28th 2012, 7:56 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Costa de Caparica: 2007-2010. Then Olivais, Lisboa: 2010-2017. Currently back in Cambridge, UK.
ah207 has a reputation beyond reputeah207 has a reputation beyond reputeah207 has a reputation beyond reputeah207 has a reputation beyond reputeah207 has a reputation beyond reputeah207 has a reputation beyond reputeah207 has a reputation beyond reputeah207 has a reputation beyond reputeah207 has a reputation beyond reputeah207 has a reputation beyond reputeah207 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Pay tax on money earned here ?

Quick question (probably been asked before...)

For the past 5 years while in Lisbon, I have been receiving a tax free "bolsa" (government grant) from the Portuguese Science Foundation. Its been paid as a monthly salary. If was to return to the UK and wanted to take all my savings back with me to the UK, would I have to declare it as income and pay tax on it ? Perhaps someone can point me to the correct website. I can´t seem to find the info on the Inland Revenues website.

Thanks.
Old May 29th 2012, 9:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Joao has much to be proud ofJoao has much to be proud ofJoao has much to be proud ofJoao has much to be proud ofJoao has much to be proud ofJoao has much to be proud ofJoao has much to be proud ofJoao has much to be proud ofJoao has much to be proud ofJoao has much to be proud ofJoao has much to be proud of
Default Re: Pay tax on money earned here ?

Why don't you phone them and ask the question, usually they are very helpful and not, as most people seem to think, always after your hard earnt money
Joao
Old May 29th 2012, 12:21 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Costa de Caparica: 2007-2010. Then Olivais, Lisboa: 2010-2017. Currently back in Cambridge, UK.
ah207 has a reputation beyond reputeah207 has a reputation beyond reputeah207 has a reputation beyond reputeah207 has a reputation beyond reputeah207 has a reputation beyond reputeah207 has a reputation beyond reputeah207 has a reputation beyond reputeah207 has a reputation beyond reputeah207 has a reputation beyond reputeah207 has a reputation beyond reputeah207 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Joao
Why don't you phone them and ask the question, usually they are very helpful and not, as most people seem to think, always after your hard earnt money
Joao
Hi Joao - I called HMRC. They have a tel number if you are calling from outside the UK. The guy on the line was very helpful. You CANNOT be taxed twice if you have already paid tax once and are simply tranferring funds. So that´s the good news.

Regarding my own situation, he said he did not know the answer off hand, but if I write to HMRC giving details of the type and nature of the grant, they will be able to give a more specific answer. He also mentioned that a second alternative would be that if I returned to the UK and started working there again, I might be be asked to do a self-assessment and it would be possible on the form to declare my grant, when/where it was received, and whether it was taxed. Based on that I might be liable or not. But I will write to them anyway.
Old May 29th 2012, 3:04 pm
Banned

sir recorder is a jewel in the roughsir recorder is a jewel in the roughsir recorder is a jewel in the roughsir recorder is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by ah207
Quick question (probably been asked before...)

For the past 5 years while in Lisbon, I have been receiving a tax free "bolsa" (government grant) from the Portuguese Science Foundation. Its been paid as a monthly salary. If was to return to the UK and wanted to take all my savings back with me to the UK, would I have to declare it as income and pay tax on it ? Perhaps someone can point me to the correct website. I can´t seem to find the info on the Inland Revenues website.

Thanks.
One is reminded of the comments made by Lagarde and Greece

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-18227230
Old May 29th 2012, 3:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Joao has much to be proud ofJoao has much to be proud ofJoao has much to be proud ofJoao has much to be proud ofJoao has much to be proud ofJoao has much to be proud ofJoao has much to be proud ofJoao has much to be proud ofJoao has much to be proud ofJoao has much to be proud ofJoao has much to be proud of

Hi Joao - I called HMRC. They have a tel number if you are calling from outside the UK. The guy on the line was very helpful. You CANNOT be taxed twice if you have already paid tax once and are simply tranferring funds. So that´s the good news.

Regarding my own situation, he said he did not know the answer off hand, but if I write to HMRC giving details of the type and nature of the grant, they will be able to give a more specific answer. He also mentioned that a second alternative would be that if I returned to the UK and started working there again, I might be be asked to do a self-assessment and it would be possible on the form to declare my grant, when/where it was received, and whether it was taxed. Based on that I might be liable or not. But I will write to them anyway.
Glad to have been of some help

Joao
Old May 29th 2012, 3:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

tombo is just really nicetombo is just really nicetombo is just really nicetombo is just really nicetombo is just really nicetombo is just really nicetombo is just really nicetombo is just really nice

Hi Joao - I called HMRC. They have a tel number if you are calling from outside the UK.
Hi ah207. What number did u call? I have had loads of problems
trying to speak to real people at HRMC.

My SA200 self assesment forms and letters come from various locations around the UK.
When I have tried to track down an office I am told "this is a virtual office" and does not really exist!
Old May 29th 2012, 3:37 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by tombo

My SA200 self assesment forms and letters come from various locations around the UK.
When I have tried to track down an office I am told "this is a virtual office" and does not really exist!
The number I called is: 44 135 535 9022

And here is the link to the actual webpage: http://search2.hmrc.gov.uk/kb5/hmrc/...rd=hpkspulskxM

I called at about 11AM this morning using Skype - and managed to get through almost straight away. So its worth a try.
Old May 29th 2012, 3:54 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by sir recorder
One is reminded of the comments made by Lagarde and Greece

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-18227230
In the UK, government funded postdoctoral research positions are fixed term (2 years, or 3 years) and are renewable as long as the work is accomplishing its intended targets, or until a patent is filed. But the big difference there is that postdoctoral posts are normal job contracts - you pay NI contributions+tax+pension - exactly as you would for any other job.

Unfortunately in Portugal, postdoctoral work does not count as a ´proper´job - it counts as a scholarship - so its a bit like being a rather well-off student. Its completely tax free. In fact, unless you are a full lecturer, any other research position with a University is simply a scholarship. The thought of not paying tax, yet getting a monthly salary may sound lucrative - but the drawbacks are that (a) it doesn´t count as a proper job and (b) you have to explain it to the tax man if you return to the UK.

My current contract in Portugal comes to an end in May 2013 - a year from now. So I´m thinking ahead. "Proper" jobs in research and development in Portugal are rare - often someone is already lined up for a post but they go through the advertising/interview process anyway to make it look fair. So if I do return to the UK - I want to make sure I have done things by the book as far as the tax man there is concerned. I´ll keep records of all correspondence - so at least it´ll show good will on my part.
Old May 29th 2012, 7:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

The_Hog is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by tombo

Hi Tombo,
I too have been plagued by HMRC and their self-assesment forms.
However, I phoned them on 0161 931 9070 and spoke to them directly and have to say they have been excellent.
So much so that they told me I didn't have to complete this years self assessment and it is unlikely that I will received any more - unless my circumstances change.
All done over the phone in about 8 minutes.
Good luck.
Old May 30th 2012, 12:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

tombo is just really nicetombo is just really nicetombo is just really nicetombo is just really nicetombo is just really nicetombo is just really nicetombo is just really nicetombo is just really nice

I have made a note of the the numbers both from The Hog and AH207.

I have just about completed the 2011/12 SA200 but am awaiting 975's from
Santander UK. They are a real mess. Stole the Abbey, A&L and BB accounts but got lumbered with taking over the existing staff who are not up to scratch.
My last visit to Branch. Fortunately I got a chinese UK uni graduate, just newly started who new her way around IT and computers. She got various accounts sorted out which I was unable to do online as Branch and Online are two complete entities to Santander.