Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

In the future a possiable very big problem

In the future a possiable very big problem

Old Sep 11th 2015, 9:32 am
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: In the future a possiable very big problem

Originally Posted by GeniB
Once they get the North Atlantic Treaty signed there will be no stopping them insisting that GM products are introduced to Europe. Why we persist in thinking that some American companies are just ' Richer ,pushier,better qualified and informed and therefore successful' competitors I don't know. No they are not.If they are big enough however the American very biased law will back them up,they have used the Patents law like a weapon since the early 1900's ,grabbing other peoples/countries work and inventions for their benefit and then locking everyone else out.They do not want to compete they want to control.You only have to look at the Internet..That 'little bit of something and nothing we invented,and let go to the USA.Many other examples, including I might add the horrendous treatment of BP in the Mexican Oil Spill affair.A blatant attempt to destroy a rival company over what was an accident caused by their own companies negligence.

This isn't America bashing by the way.I admire the general spirit of the country and always have.What I don't admire is our 'roll over and give up one' If I thought those five greedy young things who run Monsanto now had an ethical bone in their bodies and were doing this for the good of the poor.I might think again.But they don't and they aren't.It's as always for power and the mighty dollar
We were onnthe gulf coast in April, there is an industry there with one intention to maximise the compensation that can be claimed from BP.
Local papers were carrying adverts suggesting that anyone whose income or lifestyle had been affected in anyway by the spill even now should make a claim.
Of course it will take BP decades if even that to get its counter claim against the US equipment supplier through the courts.
Old Sep 11th 2015, 2:08 pm
Forum Regular

andypmg is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by EMR
There is more than enough past evidence to doubt any assurances given by the GM companies who rely on scientific research and short term trials.
It took years for the effects of DDT and similar to be revealed in nature, not to mention thalidomide and the addictive effects of anti depressants that were handed out like sweeties for decades.The effects of estrogens on fish life etc etc.
We are right to question and doubt anything that commercial organisations keep saying are good for us.
Once they get the North Atlantic Treaty signed there will be no stopping them insisting that GM products are introduced to Europe. Why we persist in thinking that some American companies are just ' Richer ,pushier,better qualified and informed and therefore successful' competitors I don't know. No they are not.If they are big enough however the American very biased law will back them up,they have used the Patents law like a weapon since the early 1900's ,grabbing other peoples/countries work and inventions for their benefit and then locking everyone else out.They do not want to compete they want to control.You only have to look at the Internet..That 'little bit of something and nothing we invented,and let go to the USA.Many other examples, including I might add the horrendous treatment of BP in the Mexican Oil Spill affair.A blatant attempt to destroy a rival company over what was an accident caused by their own companies negligence.

This isn't America bashing by the way.I admire the general spirit of the country and always have.What I don't admire is our 'roll over and give up one' If I thought those five greedy young things who run Monsanto now had an ethical bone in their bodies and were doing this for the good of the poor.I might think again.But they don't and they aren't.It's as always for power and the mighty dollar
Of course I would be first to recognise the many benefits of USA and yes there have been inventions/inventors much improved by a move to the USA Marconi being one. I try and distance my argument from any country as such because many have global links and investment impossible to untangle. The moves by GM producers now to have the legislation on labelling changed and eased so that GM ingredients do not have to be itemised is worrying.

Perhaps this is the payback for all as we welcome cheap food, do not ask questions and accept globalisation. UK imports cheap lamb from AUS and NZ lamb produced in the UK shipped out to Europe apparently Portugal is one buyer of prime Welsh lamb. We get the horse meat scandal - UK Government blame some Mexican cartel/mafia and hey ho we find UK slaughter and packing houses as well as in Europe guilty.

And as ever the PR wins and these companies have it all -

Science - of course can help but does get it wrong - we thought LSD would help mentally ill - we thought Clozapine a new wonder drug in the treatment of schizophrenia, until patients died. (it depletes the white blood cells and patients died form minor infections) and so on the list is endless but the pharmaceutical industry is again global. No one countries government to account. The flag of convenience flies above more than dodgy ships.

Last edited by andypmg; Sep 11th 2015 at 2:14 pm.
Old Sep 11th 2015, 2:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute

I agree Andy.which is why I said it wasn't 'America Bashing' We have been just as guilty in the past in trying to monopolise an Industry. Vestie's(s) is a point in case.Massive British operation based in Argentina ,cornering the market on beef products for a time (no idea whats happened to them now?)

It's that mythical housewife again is it? Who demands this cheap food? In my experience the mainly uniformed consumer is presented with a 'Fait Acompli' with every new product pushed onto the market. She didn't sit down one day and say.'Heh butter-smutter. lets add this chemical created in the lab to some veggie oil's and colour it yellow.(It was OK to leave it white when stuffing turkeys with it..)but Naawh I don't think anyone will go for it that state.if we ask humans to eat it. If she asked any questions about it ,she got 'well it's easier to spread than butter dear' It was made entirely for an industry that needed a new market ,Butter didn't travel well across the USA Flora did.One molecule short of plastic this disgusting stuff Has been peddled as healthy.Butter meanwhile has been almost anihalated as being extremely bad for you..Utter tosh of course. Can't turn the clock back
It's where do you draw the line now ? I find a frightening correlation between the massive increase in the use of chemicals in everything we touch ,wear, eat and grow and the surge in serious illness's -most of all cancers Yet we won't go down that line of investigation.!!? we would rather beg people for money on the TV to 'fight cancer' whilst showing people baking cakes containing some of the very chemicals described as causing cancer i.e. Trans Fats to name one Durh !!! .Is it me?.
Old Sep 11th 2015, 4:18 pm
Forum Regular

I agree Andy.which is why I said it wasn't 'America Bashing' We have been just as guilty in the past in trying to monopolise an Industry. Vestie's(s) is a point in case.Massive British operation based in Argentina ,cornering the market on beef products for a time (no idea whats happened to them now?)

It's that mythical housewife again is it? Who demands this cheap food? In my experience the mainly uniformed consumer is presented with a 'Fait Acompli' with every new product pushed onto the market. She didn't sit down one day and say.'Heh butter-smutter. lets add this chemical created in the lab to some veggie oil's and colour it yellow.(It was OK to leave it white when stuffing turkeys with it..)but Naawh I don't think anyone will go for it that state.if we ask humans to eat it. If she asked any questions about it ,she got 'well it's easier to spread than butter dear' It was made entirely for an industry that needed a new market ,Butter didn't travel well across the USA Flora did.One molecule short of plastic this disgusting stuff Has been peddled as healthy.Butter meanwhile has been almost anihalated as being extremely bad for you..Utter tosh of course. Can't turn the clock back
It's where do you draw the line now ? I find a frightening correlation between the massive increase in the use of chemicals in everything we touch ,wear, eat and grow and the surge in serious illness's -most of all cancers Yet we won't go down that line of investigation.!!? we would rather beg people for money on the TV to 'fight cancer' whilst showing people baking cakes containing some of the very chemicals described as causing cancer i.e. Trans Fats to name one Durh !!! .Is it me?.
Yet we won't go down that line of investigation.!

well some are going down that line thankfully and this is where the PR and dirty tricks to protect income/ satisfy shareholders comes from. It happens again and again but the collective attention span is short and wiped with any and every PR trick. One prime example Coca Cola and thier efforts to bring tap water bottled what ever all nice packaged and ready to consume.

I may well be wrong but my thoughts are that our Governments now rely heavily upon the Global food chain and supermarkets etc to artificially lower the price of "food" to gain stability within a failing economy. And in return the Party politics cash machine of donations rings as much as the tills with donations.

Sadly the rate fixing lying fraudsters aka bankers are an example of this with the UK failing to even bring one close to prosecution let alone jail.

There is no one Joe Public can trust - Science can be bought and sold as well as economics - libor rates some dodgy meat in someone's pie.
Old Sep 11th 2015, 4:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ingles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond repute

As the above post & chemicals in the food chain, when I was a kid the only allergy I had was going to the School Dentist.

It seems now that allergies are so very common amongst the kid's today !
Why ?
Old Sep 11th 2015, 10:24 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Ingles
As the above post & chemicals in the food chain, when I was a kid the only allergy I had was going to the School Dentist.

Why ?
http://www.psmag.com/health-and-beha...problems-67067
Old Sep 11th 2015, 10:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute

Why ?

You might like to read Doctor Tim Spector's book The Diet Myth..He has done a lot of research over decades about the effects our food has on us ,in particular our gut microbes. His research indicates that the enormous number of chemicals put into our food either directly or indirectly have had the ability to change our Microbiome.To reduce our healthy gut flora in other words ,and even change our genes.His theory is that this is what is inducing the huge rise in Allergic symptoms.and food intolerance
Old Sep 12th 2015, 8:21 am
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

Why ?
They do not eat enough dirt, everything is cleaned and bleached to extinction.
Old Sep 12th 2015, 9:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by EMR
Doc Tim also mentions that negative habit of modern living.Plus the propensity for too many women to follow celebs in opting for Caesarean births.ie too posh to push syndrome. Or rather maybe hospitals using it to control the hours doctors work.The huge increase in C sections directly mirrors the increase in asthma and allergies in children. Not to get too graphic-but Doc Tim has confirmed that the trip through the birth canal is essential for our health and immunity. Even found that a child who is born through a C section can pick up foreign microbes from the first human being that handles he/she.and later present with totally alien (to the family) allergies.
Old Sep 12th 2015, 9:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Ingles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EMR
We used to get a dose off "dirt" every day, I grew up in the east end of London & it was just one endless bomb site,great for playing on.
Old Sep 12th 2015, 10:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Off thread, but relevant to some extent .
Because the truth only comes to light after the damage has been done !

Second guilty verdict in Monsanto poisoning case
Old Sep 12th 2015, 12:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Off thread, but relevant to some extent .
Because the truth only comes to light after the damage has been done !

Second guilty verdict in Monsanto poisoning case
I would hazard a guess the guy only got this far because the case was heard in France.Monsanto will not give up though,this is a Leviathan .They are used to rolling over anything in their path.They will be aware that a win here opens up the prospect of thousands of cases around the world suing for compensation.This was a brave judge.The next one might not be either so brave or so honest
Old Sep 12th 2015, 10:32 pm
Forum Regular

I would hazard a guess the guy only got this far because the case was heard in France.Monsanto will not give up though,this is a Leviathan .They are used to rolling over anything in their path.They will be aware that a win here opens up the prospect of thousands of cases around the world suing for compensation.This was a brave judge.The next one might not be either so brave or so honest

I would think that given the huge number of cases Monsanto have been involved in be it as defendant or plaintiff - they simply regard the costs legal and compensation as a business expense. By far the profits outweigh any such costs and Monsanto is known (amongst others) to re name - re brand shell companies to remove the main trade names from litigation. The weed killer used and now banned Canada - Europe etc is still legal in the USA but then the millions of $ spent on PR and lobbying does buy.
Old Sep 14th 2015, 9:29 am
BE Forum Addict

No comment !

The Hidden Food Ingredient that is Linked to Pain and Inflammation | Care2 Healthy Living
Old Sep 16th 2015, 9:10 am
BE Forum Addict

I received this today.

STOP TTIP - recomende a um amigo!

May be off interest

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.