Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Drivers Licence registration renewal

Drivers Licence registration renewal

Old Aug 20th 2017, 4:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

morro has a reputation beyond reputemorro has a reputation beyond reputemorro has a reputation beyond reputemorro has a reputation beyond reputemorro has a reputation beyond reputemorro has a reputation beyond reputemorro has a reputation beyond reputemorro has a reputation beyond reputemorro has a reputation beyond reputemorro has a reputation beyond reputemorro has a reputation beyond repute
Default Drivers Licence registration renewal

My Drivers licence registration renewal is due soon.
I do not like to queue for hours in Faro, is it possible to register online?
Old Aug 21st 2017, 6:30 am
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Drivers Licence registration renewal

If I'm reading this correctly it sounds to me as though you might actually be reaching a point where you need to exchange your UK licence for a PT one. I'm not aware of any circumstance where you could re-register it.
Old Aug 21st 2017, 8:17 am
BE Enthusiast

Sunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really nice

You need to renew your Portuguese driving license at age 65 and 70 then every two years thereafter. I have to do mine again next birthday. I also do not like queuing or getting up at the crack of dawn so as to be in Faro to do so. Therefore, I pay an an agency to do it for me!

As you need new/current photographs and for those ages a doctor's certificate I don't see how it can be done on line. I don't know however for those under 60 although, again. current photographs will be required..
Old Aug 21st 2017, 12:43 pm
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Ages and requirements for PT licence renewals vary a bit according to categories held and when the licence was obtained. For just a car licence acquired before January 2013, it's now at 50 without the need for a medical, then at 60, 65 and 70 and thereafter every 2 years, all requiring a doctor's certificate. There are slightly different rules for licences acquired between Jan 2013 and Jul 2016, and again from Jul 2016. See here

However, holders of a Cartão de Cidadão can renew online and at a slight discount under changes that were effected as part of the Simplex programme as of 1st Jan this year. Another of those changes does away with the holder's address being printed on the face of the licence, thus doing away with the need to have the licence re-issued to reflect current address if one moves house. Most of us won't have a Cartão de Cidadão, though.

I'm not sure the OP is talking about a PT licence renewal anyway....
Old Aug 21st 2017, 1:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

morro has a reputation beyond reputemorro has a reputation beyond reputemorro has a reputation beyond reputemorro has a reputation beyond reputemorro has a reputation beyond reputemorro has a reputation beyond reputemorro has a reputation beyond reputemorro has a reputation beyond reputemorro has a reputation beyond reputemorro has a reputation beyond reputemorro has a reputation beyond repute

My mistake, it is my British Licence that I need to reregister. Every 2 years!
Old Aug 21st 2017, 1:51 pm
Polished expat

Originally Posted by morro
My mistake, it is my British Licence that I need to reregister. Every 2 years!
Are you sure about that?

The only circumstance I'm aware of involving registration of the UK licence is when you become resident and it's a one-off process, as an alternative to exchanging the licence.

Once that registration has been done, the UK licence is valid until the date on the document from the IMT but must then be exchanged for a PT licence.
Old Aug 21st 2017, 2:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

RichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond repute

I also think you will have to exchange your UK licence for a Portuguese one. You cannot renew a UK licence if you live in Portugal.
Old Aug 21st 2017, 3:17 pm
Forum Regular

rollermum83 is on a distinguished road

Having just recently been to Faro to get paper to allow us to drive in Portugal it states on the document the run out date, this coincides with the run out date on your UK licence.
It only actually took us around 40 mins in the end.
Old Aug 21st 2017, 4:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

gedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to behold

I think I know exactly what you are on about Morro, you registered your UK licence with the IMTT 2 years ago and they told you that the document would be valid for 2 years. However you don't now renew that document, you now have to change to a PT licence.
Old Aug 21st 2017, 4:59 pm
Forum Regular

zoff is just really nicezoff is just really nicezoff is just really nicezoff is just really nicezoff is just really nicezoff is just really nicezoff is just really nicezoff is just really nice

Originally Posted by morro
My Drivers licence registration renewal is due soon.
I do not like to queue for hours in Faro, is it possible to register online?
AFAIK You can now renew a PT license locally. My parents used to go to Faro but this last time they renewed locally in Porches.
Old Aug 21st 2017, 7:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

I had to register my UK Licence in Faro because I own a holiday home in Portugal and own a Portuguese car.
Now after 2 years I have to reregister my licence.
Nobody said I had to exchange my UK Licence, as I live in the UK!
Old Aug 21st 2017, 8:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

RichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe you were told you needed to register your UK licence because they thought you were still Portuguese resident? You've previously posted that you received exemption from IMI when you bought your property - that exemption was only available to Portuguese residents, on their first home, so you must have been registered as such with the tax authorities. Did you fail to change your status when you became Portuguese non-resident?

AFAIK, there is no requirement for a non-resident holder of an EU licence to register that licence just to drive a Portuguese car, whether a property owner or not. Portuguese residency does bring a requirement to register and/or exchange your licence and generally restricts you to a Portuguese car.
Old Aug 22nd 2017, 5:54 am
Polished expat

Originally Posted by RichardHenshall
AFAIK, there is no requirement for a non-resident holder of an EU licence to register that licence just to drive a Portuguese car, whether a property owner or not. Portuguese residency does bring a requirement to register and/or exchange your licence and generally restricts you to a Portuguese car.
That is exactly my understanding.

Furthermore, one of the documents listed on the IMT website as required for registering a foreign licence is a residency certificate!
Old Aug 23rd 2017, 7:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Thankyou for the replies. I now have 2 choices; sell the car , or become a non resident!How do I become a non resident?
Old Aug 24th 2017, 6:21 am
Polished expat

The car's irrelevant. With regard to drivers' licence, assuming you really are non resident by the usual definitions (ie spend fewer than 183 days per year in total in PT and restrict visits to fewer than 90 days at a time), you don't have to do anything.

As a separate issue, you might want to check on the Finanças website to see whether they have you down as a PT resident because if they have and you fail to submit tax returns, that could land you in bother.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.