Freesat

Old Apr 20th 2009, 2:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

The_Hog is on a distinguished road
Default Freesat

Hi, just to let you know, I have just installed a Freesat box. A Humax Foxsat HDR to replace my Sky+ box.
The reasoning behind it was to be able to use the record facility which you lose from Sky the minute you cancel your subscription and just want the free channels .
The installation couldn't have been simpler. Remove Sky box and connect up Freesat box. It tunes itself in and then off you go. Marvellous
I have a 1.4 metre dish and am in the Eastern Algarve. No re-positioning of dish, no doing anything.
So, those of you that want Freesat, it does work (and work well) down here in the Eastern Algarve.

Cheers,

Allan
Old Apr 20th 2009, 4:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

CHOPPER is a name known to allCHOPPER is a name known to allCHOPPER is a name known to allCHOPPER is a name known to allCHOPPER is a name known to allCHOPPER is a name known to allCHOPPER is a name known to allCHOPPER is a name known to allCHOPPER is a name known to allCHOPPER is a name known to allCHOPPER is a name known to all
Cool Re: Freesat

Did you buy it here or bring it over from the UK, I mentioned this a couple of months ago to a TV engineer here when I saw it advertised on the tele and he said it would not work here.
Old Apr 20th 2009, 4:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

fraserjames1 has a reputation beyond reputefraserjames1 has a reputation beyond reputefraserjames1 has a reputation beyond reputefraserjames1 has a reputation beyond reputefraserjames1 has a reputation beyond reputefraserjames1 has a reputation beyond reputefraserjames1 has a reputation beyond reputefraserjames1 has a reputation beyond reputefraserjames1 has a reputation beyond reputefraserjames1 has a reputation beyond reputefraserjames1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Freesat

Originally Posted by CHOPPER
Did you buy it here or bring it over from the UK, I mentioned this a couple of months ago to a TV engineer here when I saw it advertised on the tele and he said it would not work here.
That was my question too. We are just about to go back to the UK for a few days so it would be great to know whether we should buy this over there, or could get one here that works?
Old Apr 21st 2009, 7:40 am
C'est la vie

TaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond repute

You can get them over here but you'll pay a lot more (in the region of €500) so, if you can get one in the UK, it would be worth it. Why not order from Amazon as they had the best prices last time I looked. Then get someone like Direct Transport to ship it over for twenty or so euros. You'll save a bomb.
Old Apr 21st 2009, 8:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Hi, yes I did buy mine in the UK.
There was a supply problem around Christmas but pretty well everywhere has them now.
I got mine from Argos (£293) but I have seen them advertised in Richer Sounds for £270.
I have seen them on Amazon.com too but do they deliver electrical goods to Portugal?

Saúde

Allan
Old Apr 21st 2009, 8:47 am
Forum Regular

sukitess is an unknown quantity at this point

All this is new to me, but we are going out to PT next week and looking to buy a TV and satellite. The dish is already there. We are in Eastern Algarve . Can you suggest where to buy the TV and do we only need the Humax Box.
Old Apr 21st 2009, 9:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Hi Sukitess,
If you are moving out to Portugal it would be cheaper to buy a TV in the UK and bring it with you. Having said that, a friend of mine recently bought a 32" flat screen TV from the Carreffour at Cartaya (just over the border in Spain) for 299 Euros. Quite a bargain.
If you have a 1.4m dish then yes, all you will need is the Humax box to receive UK telly.

Good luck.

Allan
Old Apr 21st 2009, 9:13 am
Forum Regular

Many Thanks Allan.
Old Apr 21st 2009, 10:17 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by The_Hog
Hi Sukitess,
If you are moving out to Portugal it would be cheaper to buy a TV in the UK and bring it with you. Having said that, a friend of mine recently bought a 32" flat screen TV from the Carreffour at Cartaya (just over the border in Spain) for 299 Euros. Quite a bargain.
If you have a 1.4m dish then yes, all you will need is the Humax box to receive UK telly.

Good luck.

Allan
Just another point. I believe you have to enter your post code when installing. How do you get round that in Portugal
Old Apr 21st 2009, 10:36 am
BE Enthusiast

brodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by sukitess
Just another point. I believe you have to enter your post code when installing. How do you get round that in Portugal
Put in your old post code
Old Apr 21st 2009, 11:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Supremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud of

Make sure you buy one with PVR function (Personal video recording), not just the standard freesat box if you want the recording facilities. The PVR versions haven't been out long and are more expensive.

That engineer just didn't know his stuff, Freesat is still relatively new in the UK and although it's advertised on TV now it's only really the people really interested in Satellite TV that know more about it.

Humax are the best PVR Freesat box.

G
Old Apr 21st 2009, 7:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to all

Hi, first post so please forgive any c*ck ups.

Presumably you need 2 cables like Sky+ to record?

Any idea what a new LNB and cable would cost in Tavira?

Is the Freesat signal as good as Sky?

Thanks, John
Old Apr 21st 2009, 7:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Supremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud of

The cost I was quoted in the Lagos area was 200 euros for cable, quad lnb (Invacom one) and fitting, but tbh the fitting is so simple so I have bought cable off Ebay and will also get the lnb before we move over (about £60). There is someone selling an Invacom quad lnb on Ebay who is based in Spain so I'm sure they'd ship to Portugal.

Yes you need two cables, one is for the channel you watch the other is to record. (in simple terms!)

I believe Freesat is 'on' the same satellite as sky so it's the same signal strength etc. If you already have a dish no need to move it basically, which is why you can simply disconnect the wires from the sky box and connect a freesat box.

HTH
G

Edited to say you might find this article interesting..though it's a little out of date:
http://www.techradar.com/news/televi...-choice-475394

Here is a link to their channels:
http://www.radioandtelly.co.uk/freesatchannels.html

Last edited by Supremegermalene; Apr 21st 2009 at 7:33 pm.
Old Apr 21st 2009, 7:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to all

Many thanks SM, I'll give it go myself.
J
Old Apr 26th 2009, 9:57 am
BE Enthusiast

brodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of light

If you replace the LNB yourself please be aware that the angle that the LNB sits in the holder is very important. mark on the holder the angle of the one you are taking out and make sure the one you put in is at the same angle.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.