Forest Fires

Old Feb 23rd 2018, 9:34 pm
Forum Regular

Mac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Forest Fires

I guess they used the Finanças email system because it is an existing, comprehensive communications database available to the government and already set-up for e-mailings. Good use of existing network, I thought. I can't link to the leaflet it provided, which was of some help, but everyone with access to the Finanças/AT web portal should have received it or soon will be. It mentions 50metres around rural properties as well as 100 metres around villages. So I called the helpline number provided for clarification. The english-speaking gentleman was very helpful and I would recommend people use the helpline - 808 200 520 (local call rate). He said that it's either/or on the 50m/100m thing. If a village is closely situated together, or in the case of an industrial park or campsite or condominium, there should be a managed area of 100m around the whole. If houses or other buildings are isolated, or in a village more spread out, it's 50m around the building, with the first 5m being clear of anything except garden type plants kept managed (bought from store, he described), or fruit trees including olives, but again kept tidy, clear of shoots and not touching or overhanging the building. By managed 100m or 50m area he meant undergrowth, grasses, bushes and trees kept tidy, no bushes above 50cm height, trees kept clear of shoots up their trunk 4m from the bottom, or half the height of the tree if the tree is less than 8m high, trees no closer together than 4m between their outer most reach i.e. foliage. He also said that managed fields of crops, or grasses for hay or straw did not apply, they could be within 50 or 100 metres, whichever applies. As I said, I was told olives and other fruit trees don't apply, but corks do and as they're a protected species, he advised that if one needs to cut off branches drastically or cut down completely in order to comply then the appropriate form should be completed on the ICFN website to advise of your actions.

He was able to look at our village on his computer and advise that, as our village is spread out, (one house here, another there, as he described it) then the 50m around our own home applies, not 100m around the village.

I'm pretty sure all of this applies only to rural areas. I also believe that the advice about storage of gas, firewood etc. is advice (conselho) only rather than obligatory, and I read it as just advising people to be sensible, not stockpile unnecessary quantities of fuel close to the property.

Safe Communities Portugal have put this together:
http://www.safecommunitiesportugal.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/Protecting-your-house-against-wildfires-2018-Update-pdf.pdf
Old Feb 24th 2018, 6:39 am
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute

That's good info, thanks for sharing it.
Old Feb 24th 2018, 9:10 am
Banned

007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute

I know it's a PT national policy, but does each fregusia 'interpret' the Regs, or is it that the area fire-fighters decide what needs doing?
Old Feb 24th 2018, 9:55 am
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 007Steve
I know it's a PT national policy, but does each fregusia 'interpret' the Regs, or is it that the area fire-fighters decide what needs doing?
Around us according to the neighbours it was the bombeiros who demanded that land owners provide access for their vehicles in the event of fire in addition to reducing the risk.
We now have cleared pathways with trees only on one side where before they were on both sides.
Along roadways , hedges are being cut down or reduced in size.
Old Feb 24th 2018, 9:59 am
Forum Regular

Mac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond repute

I imagine, as with most things, there will be some variance of 'interpretation' of the regulations camara to camara, freguesia to freguesia, even person to person. Try the helpline for a more definitive answer.
Old Feb 24th 2018, 10:13 am
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mac and Mabel
I imagine, as with most things, there will be some variance of 'interpretation' of the regulations camara to camara, freguesia to freguesia, even person to person. Try the helpline for a more definitive answer.
Or better still contact your local Camara or the bombeiros.
It's our job and responsibility to make their lives a lot easier than it has been in recent years.
Old Feb 24th 2018, 11:17 am
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute

I've just been to town for shopping; I was told that chainsaw oil and chains, as well as strimmer blades, are sold out.

Apparently, this is actually being taken seriously. Small engines are spinning all around.

The local market had a pamphlet with more clear illustrations; as stated above for homes, and as well, 10 meters to the sides of roads tress have to be thinned until there's a 4 meter clearance between the canopies.
He thought that won't be enforced for a while, as the Camara will have to cut hundreds of large trees along all the main roads before they can start finger pointing.

How strict the enforcement will be remains to be seen.
Old Feb 24th 2018, 11:35 am
Banned

007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by liveaboard
I've just been to town for shopping; I was told that chainsaw oil and chains, as well as strimmer blades, are sold out.

Apparently, this is actually being taken seriously. Small engines are spinning all around.

How strict the enforcement will be remains to be seen.
A golden opportunity for a Trade Deal...
Old Mar 20th 2018, 11:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Ingles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ingles
Well what a surprise , a couple off weeks ago ,a Court in Braga sent a arsonist to Jail for 7 years off which HE has to sever @ least 3.5.

Then comes the "rub" ,this is the third time this guy been caught & sentenced ,but the two previous sentences off 3.5 years where suspended ?????????

I think I could my head around that the first sentence could have been suspended , but hell's teeth not the 2nd one.

If the PT System is at all serious about attempting to stop these criminal acts ,that cause massive damage & sometimes the loss off life , then send these bat -hit crazy individuals down the steps every time they get caught !
Reported in PT Press last Friday

Drunk Cyclist sent to Prison for 3 week's
They really do have there head up there -rse
Old May 19th 2018, 9:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Ingles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond repute

The PT Government has adopted a new approach in the efforts to try to clear the forests off scrubland & undergrowth,
which as we all know are the main causes off the fires getting started in the first place.
They have put up 3.5 million €'s to get this off the ground , 4.900 goats which will be split into 39 flocks.

Old May 19th 2018, 10:57 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Ingles
The PT Government has adopted a new approach in the efforts to try to clear the forests off scrubland & undergrowth,
which as we all know are the main causes off the fires getting started in the first place.
They have put up 3.5 million €'s to get this off the ground , 4.900 goats which will be split into 39 flocks.
... As long as they're not British goats!!!; - British goats will refuse to remain part of any 39 flocks arrangements, demand that other goats entering their scrubland carry ID, don't claim benefits & stop munching their undergrowth !!
(Still it should be a enhance to the old cabra Denominação de Origem Protegida standard)...
Old May 26th 2018, 10:01 am
BE Forum Addict

This years "Clean up Portugal Day" is on 15th September ,all info available on WS
Volunteers needed all over the country , these actions go some way in helping to
stop Forest Fires

http://www.amoportugal.org/pt/newsletter/20180521
Old May 26th 2018, 11:29 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute

... As long as they're not British goats!!!; - British goats will refuse to remain part of any 39 flocks arrangements, demand that other goats entering their scrubland carry ID, don't claim benefits & stop munching their undergrowth !!
(Still it should be a enhance to the old cabra Denominação de Origem Protegida standard)...
More like sheep than goats
Old Jun 10th 2018, 11:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Even in the area I live in ,this is turning out to be a big problem ,so who's going to pay for the clearance ?

http://algarvedailynews.com/news/143...-be-identified
Old Aug 1st 2018, 9:52 am
BE Forum Addict

In today's PT Press it was reported that so far this year there have been 1327 Fires.
As in the past, the usual tally for Fires @ the end off July was +/- 30.000, it seems that the precautions being taken now could/may be having some effect !
But ,being a complete cynic, my personal opinion is that, as the average temperatures this year have been well below normal ,the Bat -hit Crazies who get there kick's from starting fires are holding back until there sure off a good display.
But I sincerely hope I'm utterly wrong !

Last edited by Ingles; Aug 1st 2018 at 9:53 am. Reason: spelling

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.