Forest Fires

Old Jun 18th 2017, 8:13 am
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute
Default Forest Fires

Once again the season of forest fires is upon us.

About 60 forest fires broke out across the country overnight, with close to 1,700 firefighters battling them across Portugal. The news that 43 people have been delared dead so far in the Pedrógão Grande area is truly awful and my thoughts are with all those in the area - I hope mfesharne is unaffected.

My thoughts are also with the Bombeiros, who will be in a non-stop fight to save lives at the risk of their own and I would call upon everyone, even if unaffected by the fires, to support them at this time.
Old Jun 18th 2017, 8:25 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Forest Fires

Thank you for this post, well said.

My thoughts are with all of those affected by these horrendous fires and as you so rightly said the firemen are extraordinary people.

Rosemary
Old Jun 18th 2017, 8:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by macliam
Once again the season of forest fires is upon us.

https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/news/624/cp...34508_fire.jpg

About 60 forest fires broke out across the country overnight, with close to 1,700 firefighters battling them across Portugal. The news that 43 people have been delared dead so far in the Pedrógão Grande area is truly awful and my thoughts are with all those in the area - I hope mfesharne is unaffected.

My thoughts are also with the Bombeiros, who will be in a non-stop fight to save lives at the risk of their own and I would call upon everyone, even if unaffected by the fires, to support them at this time.
Well said Macliam.. I also hope that mfesharne is safe..
This is the horror we fear every summer . The temps reached over 40 deg's here in the Algarve yesterday,so heaven knows what they reached in the centre of the country.
I hope that these fires were not caused by arsonists ?

Our thoughts and support also go out to our brave Bombeiros.. Having just been part of raising funds for and finally delivering a new ambulance to the Lagos team. We will continue our efforts to help them
Old Jun 18th 2017, 9:16 am
BE Enthusiast

peterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GeniB
Well said Macliam.. I also hope that mfesharne is safe..

I hope that these fires were not caused by arsonists ?
Hi All

As well my thoughts are with my friend Steve "Mfeshame" the picture in the first post i know well so i like others have concern.

Secondly i read a couple of years ago that most fires and app 80% are not started by accident. I am surprised to hear that maybe 43 are already reported dead The Bombeiros have an amazing record at low loss of life figures lets hope that the reports are wrong.

The reports on the BBC news is 57 a black day here in Portugal.

From the BBC news ....
Many died while trying to flee the Pedrógão Grande area, 50 km (30 miles) south-east of Coimbra, in their cars, according to the government.
Several firefighters are among the 59 people injured.
"Unfortunately this seems to be the greatest tragedy we have seen in recent years in terms of forest fires," said Prime Minister Antonio Costa.

Peter

Last edited by peterfc; Jun 18th 2017 at 9:21 am.
Old Jun 18th 2017, 9:46 am
Just Joined

Eric.is..... is an unknown quantity at this point

Any readers from the Graça, Noderinho area ?
Old Jun 18th 2017, 10:26 am
BE Enthusiast

ouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond repute

Truly dreadful news and thought are with the familes and also the bombeiros.

We support our local bombeiros and will be giving water and cereal bars, as well as socks this week.
Old Jun 18th 2017, 10:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Ingles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond repute

Sadly on this mornings TV News ,the death toll is now 57

Tragédia em Pedrógão Grande: O que se sabe até ao momento - Atualidade - SAPO 24

Year in year out & nothing changes

p.s. The fire commenced after a lighting strike, this is the official explanation !

Last edited by Ingles; Jun 18th 2017 at 11:01 am. Reason: comment added
Old Jun 18th 2017, 11:22 am
BE Forum Addict

gedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to behold

I'll second the concern for our fellow poster on here Mfeshame as he is for sure from the affected area. Tried to contact him through Facebook, nothing yet, hopefully he's Unaffected
Old Jun 18th 2017, 11:23 am
BE Forum Addict

gedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to behold

You know the root of the problem, eucalyptus, that along with the eu austerity measures.
Old Jun 18th 2017, 11:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Ingles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gedscottish
You know the root of the problem, eucalyptus, that along with the eu austerity measures.
Yes & No
There was a Law brought into play years ago that stated any body/ company who owned "forestry land" had to ensure that the natural detritus build up had to be cleared on a regular basis !
The Police Authorities where tasked with ensuring this law was enforced & if it was not the "land owner" could be fined.
Eucalyptus is main problem with Pine running a very close second.
Is this law enforced , no it is bloody well not !!!!

EN report
https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...n-forest-fires

Last edited by Ingles; Jun 18th 2017 at 11:45 am.
Old Jun 18th 2017, 11:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Eric.is.....
Any readers from the Graça, Noderinho area ?
Yes mfesharne is from there, i just read there is 11 dead in than village alone, including a 3 year old who fled the fire with the grandfather in the car. Ic8 runs past that village.
Old Jun 18th 2017, 12:38 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ingles
Yes & No
There was a Law brought into play years ago that stated any body/ company who owned "forestry land" had to ensure that the natural detritus build up had to be cleared on a regular basis !
The Police Authorities where tasked with ensuring this law was enforced & if it was not the "land owner" could be fined.
Eucalyptus is main problem with Pine running a very close second.
Is this law enforced , no it is bloody well not !!!!
The problem, as always, is the enforcement of all the new laws that the government is so quick (?) to make.

Last year a small fire affected my land. The bombeiros attended, the local GNR arrived, took measurements and statements. Then later the GNR ambiental (SEPNA) came and did it all again.... and noted that my neighbour had not ploughed his firebreak or cut back the scrub on his land 50m from my house (both offences). I was called to make a statement in January - but, until now, nothing. The SEPNA sergeant told me that they were based in Aljustrel (about 50km from me), that there were 5 in the team and they cover about 2000 sq.km. between them - and three were at my fire! That same team have to cover animal cruelty and environmental protection in the area, as (in his words) the local GNR "would rather chase cars"..... Law, without the resource to enforce it, is meaningless.

Equally, it is true that the vast plantations of Eucalyptus and Pine in the mid to north of Portugal are a didaster waiting to happen. Both resinous, both easily flammable and largely unattended. Control of eucalyptus is also on the statute books, yet if "new" planatations are banned, I still see plenty of "infill" in the existing areas.

But the elephant in the room is arson. A high percentage of the fires are not accidental.......
Old Jun 18th 2017, 1:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute

A friend of mine has 40 hectares, much of it is mountainous.
To keep the brush clear, he bought a "crawler" tractor, like a mini bulldozer, with a rear mounted brush cutter.
After 10 years, he's selling the machine. He's old, it's dangerous, it's expensive to maintain and operate, no one else clears their land.

The reality is that hilly land is VERY hard to keep clear, in fact nearly imposable. you can pass all the laws you want, it's just not going to happen. Not in Portugal, and not anywhere else.

I have 4 hectares and I do keep it cleared, but my land is flat.
Old Jun 18th 2017, 2:20 pm
Forum Regular

rollermum83 is on a distinguished road

We live on the East coast Tavira area but is there anything we can do to help, this is our first year here although I have read about the fires in the past. I know in some countries there are collection areas to take items to the areas in need. If we can help in any way please let us know.
Old Jun 18th 2017, 2:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by liveaboard
A friend of mine has 40 hectares, much of it is mountainous.
To keep the brush clear, he bought a "crawler" tractor, like a mini bulldozer, with a rear mounted brush cutter.
After 10 years, he's selling the machine. He's old, it's dangerous, it's expensive to maintain and operate, no one else clears their land.

The reality is that hilly land is VERY hard to keep clear, in fact nearly imposable. you can pass all the laws you want, it's just not going to happen. Not in Portugal, and not anywhere else.

I have 4 hectares and I do keep it cleared, but my land is flat.
Agree whilst the bombeiros managed to control the fires near to human habitation in last yrs horrendous fires in Monchiques . They could only tackle the ones in the deep valleys with planes filled with water. Expensive, dangerous. We have just lost an almost new' forest fire ' fire engine in the latest fire in Monchique last week... was it insured? who knows.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.