Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Foreign car, road tolls?!

Foreign car, road tolls?!

Old Jul 26th 2014, 7:56 am
BE Forum Addict

gedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to behold
Default Foreign car, road tolls?!

A friend is coming over on holiday and he was wondering what the story is with this, he was under the impression he would just drive through the green v and ignore the scuts. I am sure that was fine years back but now, I would imagine he would receive an inflated bill at his UK address?

I am sure I read the tolls can be pre-paid online? What about those pesky scuts?
Old Jul 26th 2014, 11:13 am
BE Forum Addict

RichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Foreign car, road tolls?!

Home - Portal de Portagens
Old Jul 28th 2014, 1:49 pm
Just Joined

lulas is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes, I'm confused about this too. My car is Spanish. I drive on the N-125 from the border so I don't have to pay tolls to get to Tavira. But then what? If I need to go to Lisbon? Please help, anyone who knows.

Last edited by lulas; Jul 28th 2014 at 1:56 pm.
Old Jul 28th 2014, 3:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

bxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond repute

Using a Spanish car I buy the toll card at the fuel station as directed. It seldom works via my phone usually comes back failed several times and often never works. The last half dozen I have bought that have worked I have never had a confirmation sms either. I have never had an alert telling me I have no credit either !

I registered on the post office website as instructed, to check my balance and when tried to access it again it would not accept my password, sounds simply to fix just request a new one ! NOPE several requests later NO new password nor any communication as to how to reset one either.

I was also with some one recently doing the same journey twice in one day and guess what ? you cannot pay the tolls for that journey twice in one day either.

Another I have noticed is that most of the time I get a scratch card but sometimes just a receipt but other people doing same trip and asking for same as me always get just the till receipt .... why make something simple ! mass confusion and incorrect info on websites and utter stupidity in set up seems the way to go !
My last option seems to be try to make a phone to sort out the password thing, but you can bet your bottom dollar that although several places are sure you can speak in English to them it will not be available when I try.

Has anyone tried ringing the number for the Portuguese Post office ?

Added ..... I have just re registered via the link in this thread. I had to use a different email address gave the car reg. I followed the activation link given in an email but still nowhere on that site can I see where to find my balance.

Last edited by bxpuser24710519; Jul 28th 2014 at 3:49 pm.
Old Jul 28th 2014, 7:37 pm
Just Joined

kelliebrian is an unknown quantity at this point

We are driving from gijon in Spain to Castelo branco with our own car (uk reg) plus a uk rental lorry in September and then lorry going back to uk a few days later via gijon going to have to look into getting pre paid toll for the car and small lorry any help on best way to get them would be great
Old Jul 29th 2014, 9:05 am
Just Joined

OK, so I guess this is just very confusing. I tried to pay after the fact in the P.O. but they told me only PT cars can do that. They said I must pre-pay at the border, but my car stays here, and I never know where I'll go next, so.... Maybe I'll just have to stick to national roads?
Old Jul 29th 2014, 9:54 am
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

If you car is staying in Portugal then you need to make it legal and change it to Portuguese plates. otherwise you may have more problems. Not being able to pay the toll charges would be the least of them.
Old Jul 29th 2014, 9:56 am
BE Forum Addict

gedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to behold

Thanks all for replies and that handy link! I have sent him this thread so he can get a look!(although he is already around the south of France by now) If he enters and passes through Scut roads or Via Verde, will he recieve a bill at his UK address? Do they really follow it up?
Old Jul 29th 2014, 11:53 am
Just Joined

Thanks, EMR. It's only for the summer so it should be OK.
Old Jul 29th 2014, 5:06 pm
Forum Regular

capdan is an unknown quantity at this point

We drove to Portugal last year and are doing the same this year. We travelled through France then Spain and as we entered Portugal on the first toll road we were directed into a 'foreign car' lane. We were the only car about but were met by a very helpful 'Toll man' who advised us to give credit or debit card details , which we did. This was valid for 30 days, all explained in a leaflet he gave us, and all tolls were collected from our bank account for that period. It worked perfectly, no problems and considerably cheaper than the French tolls . We intend to do exactly the same again this year. We didn't even have to get out of the car!
Old Jul 30th 2014, 9:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gedscottish
Thanks all for replies and that handy link! I have sent him this thread so he can get a look!(although he is already around the south of France by now) If he enters and passes through Scut roads or Via Verde, will he recieve a bill at his UK address? Do they really follow it up?
I drove along the A22 on the morning of 8/12/2011 the first day of tolls and did not pay.
There was at that time no way of paying except at a post office 2-3 days later and I was not going to make a 600+Km round trip in order to do so.

I have received no notification as yet

However they may by now have got their act together, but I am not sure if it is yet legal to pursue toll debts in another jurisdiction.
Old Jul 30th 2014, 10:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Fredbargate
I drove along the A22 on the morning of 8/12/2011 the first day of tolls and did not pay.
There was at that time no way of paying except at a post office 2-3 days later and I was not going to make a 600+Km round trip in order to do so.

I have received no notification as yet

However they may by now have got their act together, but I am not sure if it is yet legal to pursue toll debts in another jurisdiction.
Interesting, I am ure I read somewhere that they now come after you but it would be good to hear of more recent cases. My mate could save himself a fortune! (we will be heading to Algarve, thats about 100€ return alone!)
Old Jul 30th 2014, 11:31 am
BE Forum Addict

BillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond repute

I know a few people who have driven down to the Algarve in UK registered cars for holidays in 2012, 2013 and 2014. They entered Portugal on the A22 from Spain, passed under several toll gantries and returned the same way. None of them paid toll money and none of them have received any payment demands back in the UK. It seems that there is no pursuit for toll debts in operation in the UK. I haven't been through the border control area recently, so I am not bang up to date on the system currently in operation. All I know is that there does not appear to be any pursuit for toll debts back in the UK.
Old Jul 30th 2014, 1:49 pm
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

The unpaid tolls may not yet be chaseable back in the UK but travelling in a foreign-plated car with no prepaid arrangement is an offense punishable by a fine of 10 times the toll fees with a minimum of 25€

The operators apparently make "frequent" spot checks, in conjunction with the police.

Judging by newspaper reports they have accurate stats with regard to the numbers of foreign-plated vehicles and the proportion of non-payers.
Old Jul 31st 2014, 5:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Red Eric
but travelling in a foreign-plated car with no prepaid arrangement is an offense punishable by a fine of 10 times the toll fees with a minimum of 25€
I thought it was possible to drive in from Spain to the first petrol station on the A22 and then pay there

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.