Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Problem with Long-Term Rentals in Algarve

Problem with Long-Term Rentals in Algarve

Old May 24th 2017, 7:17 am
Just Joined

bellintre is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Problem with Long-Term Rentals in Algarve

I want to move permanently to the Algarve and thought it would be easy to find an estate agent or other facility to rent an apartment long-term, as it is here in Spain where I currently live. But, all I get when I search the internet are HOLIDAY LETS. I don't want a holiday let and I wonder, in desperation, how possible it is to find somewhere or someone to whom I can talk or discuss the possibility of finding a suitable property to rent in east Algarve, preferably. Later, when I find my feet in Portugal, I will search for a more permanent property to buy. Can anybody give me guidance on this? Many thanks. Daniel
Old May 24th 2017, 7:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Problem with Long-Term Rentals in Algarve

Originally Posted by bellintre
I want to move permanently to the Algarve and thought it would be easy to find an estate agent or other facility to rent an apartment long-term, as it is here in Spain where I currently live. But, all I get when I search the internet are HOLIDAY LETS. I don't want a holiday let and I wonder, in desperation, how possible it is to find somewhere or someone to whom I can talk or discuss the possibility of finding a suitable property to rent in east Algarve, preferably. Later, when I find my feet in Portugal, I will search for a more permanent property to buy. Can anybody give me guidance on this? Many thanks. Daniel
Hi Bellintre .Welcome to the forum. I think if you narrow down where you want to be. Tavira? maybe.? and then get in touch with agents there you might have more luck. Unfortunately you have chosen the worst time of year to be looking for a long term, let It is far more lucrative for owners to have holiday lets now. They pay less tax as well on them. Long term lets can be like looking for hen's teeth. It took us several weeks to find ours when we first arrived..
I am in the western Algarve so can't help much ,but I am sure others in that area will have more info.. Goof luck.
Old May 24th 2017, 7:45 am
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

There are fewer long term rentals as the increase in sales has removed from the property pool large numbers of properties that had been on the market for years.
The Internet is probably not the place to start.
There is probably no better way than to visit and call on as many estate agents in your area of choice and see what they might have.
Areas not popular with tourists are more likely to provide you with a rental.
Old May 24th 2017, 10:33 am
Just Joined

Many thanks for your replies; I agree that a visit is probably the best way as this time of year is indeed a busy one. I am considering east Algarve, in the Tavira region, so I will contact estate agents in that area personally. Any other suggestions would still be welcome... Daniel
Old May 24th 2017, 11:04 am
BE Forum Addict

mfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond repute

Pretty much anywhere near the coast is going to be expensive in the summer simply because the owners can charge more for a week than a long term let will pay for a month....... Perhaps one answer might be to either move further inland or to the central or northern zones for the summer & then look for a long term winter let on the coast?
Old May 24th 2017, 11:06 am
BE Enthusiast

carvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond repute

hi here's two links to rental apartments in the Algarve - includes some from the Tavira area -
Apartamentos para alugar em Faro, Algarve
https://www.olx.pt/imoveis/apartamen...scription%5D=1

one of the issues you will have is that the Portuguese idea of a let - and indeed most europeans idea - is that a long term let - ie not holiday - is a life choice - and they will expect a minimum of one year - two in many countries
Sadly there have also been many times Brits have agreed long lets and either not turned up or stayed for a short time - i've spoken to several portuguese on other forums about this and it makes the Portuguese wary of us
Here its not like Spain - the supply and demand is much smaller and there aren't a huge amount of Brits looking to rent long term to other Brits
Also as emr said the property market has picked up so its even harder now
As per Spain long term - ie UK idea - a few months - in the summertime - April - October is almost impossible - why would anyone rent out for 500 per month when they can easily get 600 per week in that period
Good luck

- its also worth while directly contacting some of the large companies local to the area hotels -
appartment complexes etc that do holiday lets - they sometimes do long lets or are aware of owners who would consider the possiblility

Last edited by carvoeiro; May 24th 2017 at 11:15 am.
Old May 24th 2017, 11:20 am
BE Enthusiast

carvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond repute

you could try an advert here
https://www.angloinfo.com/algarve/classifieds
or here
Ads -
Old May 24th 2017, 1:21 pm
Just Joined

Thanks again for all your replies and suggestions, I am very grateful for the information. I think that it's best that I visit the Tavira region within the next few weeks to see the area for myself and talk to estate agents there, there seems to be no alternative. The suggestion to move outside of the tourist areas for the summer may be worth looking at as well. I know absolutely nothing about life in Portugal but hear that it is much quieter than Spain and that the taxes are lower - including income tax which is very high in Spain. Is it true that new ex-pats about to settle in Portugal for the first time receive a ten-year remission, as it were, from all taxes, including income tax? Very hard to believe but I have a paper here that suggests exactly that. However, any comments on that would be very welcome. Many thanks again for your help so far. Daniel
Old May 24th 2017, 1:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

mfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks again for all your replies and suggestions, I am very grateful for the information. I think that it's best that I visit the Tavira region within the next few weeks to see the area for myself and talk to estate agents there, there seems to be no alternative. The suggestion to move outside of the tourist areas for the summer may be worth looking at as well. I know absolutely nothing about life in Portugal but hear that it is much quieter than Spain and that the taxes are lower - including income tax which is very high in Spain. Is it true that new ex-pats about to settle in Portugal for the first time receive a ten-year remission, as it were, from all taxes, including income tax? Very hard to believe but I have a paper here that suggests exactly that. However, any comments on that would be very welcome. Many thanks again for your help so far. Daniel
As you say you don't know about life in Portugal you probably first need to know that it varies immensely by even just a few miles...... It has everything from bustling, touristy beaches complete with fish n chip shops & English pubs through to bubbling trout streams, river beaches & knights templar castles & convents & everything in between.

Yes, you can apply for the non Habitual Residence (NHR ) 10 year tax holiday & on top of that, if you're a new immigrant, you can often get several years free of house rates etc & if you can meet the criteria, import a car free of import/registration tax.

One thing you do also need to know is that whilst the Portuguese people are fabulously friendly & welcoming, the vast majority of them don't have an iota of marketing skills in their body which means it's very hard to find out about areas and/or what facilities there are in any given area......... Even most of the videos released by the tourist boards are usually in Portuguese only which doesn't exactly help when the intention is to market Portugal to the world. lol

We're near Figueiro Dos Vinhos in the central zone & if you want to see what our area is like, just click on the link immediately below this post & then click 'About Central Portugal' & watch the videos......... and try to ignore the Portuguese dialogue.
Old May 25th 2017, 10:53 am
BE Enthusiast

toots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond repute

Have you tried https://www.longtermlettings.com/fin...tugal/Algarve/
Old May 25th 2017, 11:08 am
Just Joined

Thank you for that link, I did find a property and have contacted the owner. Let's see what happens...
Old May 25th 2017, 1:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute

Really tough - we spent two visits looking for properties, the second one we got a deal through "Homeaway" , an owner who was prepared to drop their price for an extended stay of six weeks. From this base , in the middle of winter, we scoured the area - virtually nothing to see. In six weeks three properties and we took one almost out of desperation.
Try Idealista.pt and look under "Arrendar" - there are places in the Eastern Algarve such as Cabanas which do have a few properties
Old May 25th 2017, 5:33 pm
Just Joined

Thank you very much for your suggestion, it really does seem to be very tough to find a an extended stay rental apartment. I will try the site you gave me and probably visit East Algarve sometime in June. Many thanks again. Daniel
Old May 25th 2017, 10:21 pm
Forum Regular

SilviaAlgarve is just really niceSilviaAlgarve is just really niceSilviaAlgarve is just really niceSilviaAlgarve is just really niceSilviaAlgarve is just really niceSilviaAlgarve is just really niceSilviaAlgarve is just really niceSilviaAlgarve is just really nice

There is another site called:
www.Aluga-Algarve.com
Old Sep 3rd 2017, 4:10 pm
Just Joined

Seahorse7 is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=bellintre;12259306]I want to move permanently to the Algarve and thought it would be easy to find an estate agent or other facility to rent an apartment long-term, as it is here in Spain where I currently live. But, all I get when I search the internet are HOLIDAY LETS. I don't want a holiday let and I wonder, in desperation, how possible it is to find somewhere or someone to whom I can talk or discuss the possibility of finding a suitable property to rent in east Algarve, preferably. Later, when I find my feet in Portugal, I will search for a more permanent property to buy. Can anybody give me guidance on this? Many thanks. Daniel[/QUOT

Hello Daniel
If you're still looking for an apartment, I know of a 2bed/2 bath in Tavira which will be available Nov.1st for at least 6 months.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.