Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Fitting a Log Burner

Fitting a Log Burner

Old Jan 10th 2017, 5:36 pm
Forum Regular

rollermum83 is on a distinguished road
Default Fitting a Log Burner

Hi I if anyone can give me some advice on fitting the burner ,the ceiling is the old type bamboo with old roof tiles, can i take a pipe straight up the wall and through the ceiling if I metal plate around the hole I make in the roof. There is no chimney available in the house, or should I put it in the back room and just take it out the outside wall and pipe up to make sure the vent is above the roof apex. I hope someone understands what I mean lol Thanks
Old Jan 10th 2017, 7:29 pm
Forum Regular

Knoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fitting a Log Burner

Going up inside the room will mean more heat will escape into the room.

Loft insulation (glass fibre) is fire retardant, or modern equivalent to asbestos

Paul
Old Jan 10th 2017, 7:35 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

It depends who's doing it and how good the roof is. The problem with taking anything straight through an existing roof is that you compromise it - so you can end up with leaks and other issues that don't exist now. Normally people take the flue through an outside wall close to the woodburner to avoid this, but someone who knows what they're doing can seal the outlet. The problem is that the metal tube will expand and contract, so sealing completely is far from simple.

However, another thing to think about is cleaning - tar and soot can build up quickly, especially if you burn the wrong wood or it's not well seasoned or you have inefficient combustion. Tar build-up can pose a fire risk. Flexible (concertina-type) tubing makes fitting a woodburner easy, but it can be a sod to clean - and any tar will build up in the creases. So, if possible, fit a flue with a "T" connection to the back of the woodbrner and a removable plate to allow access for cleaning. Whoever supplies the kit will advise you. It might cost a bit more - but otherwise you'll have to disconnect the flue to clean it.

Good luck.
Old Jan 10th 2017, 7:37 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Knoxy_UK
Going up inside the room will mean more heat will escape into the room.

Loft insulation (glass fibre) is fire retardant, or modern equivalent to asbestos

Paul
There will be no insulation in old-type roofs, just tiles over rafters and cane ceilings. Putting a hot metal tube up through that might not be the best idea.....
Old Jan 10th 2017, 7:49 pm
Forum Regular

Knoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by macliam
There will be no insulation in old-type roofs, just tiles over rafters and cane ceilings. Putting a hot metal tube up through that might not be the best idea.....
I too have just tiles and canes. I was going to put the stove pipe up through and wrap the surrounding wood with loft insulation. I'll let you know late March if it's a bad plan
Old Jan 10th 2017, 9:23 pm
M.O.V.E.D. !

Annetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Knoxy_UK;12148443]I too have just tiles and canes. I was going to put the stove pipe up through and wrap the surrounding wood with loft insulation. I'll let you know late March if it's a bad plan[/QUOTE]

Old Jan 11th 2017, 8:43 am
Forum Regular

rollermum83 is on a distinguished road

Thanks for all the info has given me food for thought, and knoxy please let me know how you get on id be very interested. Meanwhile I might get some expert advise.