Fish for food

Old Nov 29th 2015, 12:02 pm
Forum Regular

nogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Fish for food

Hi all, on my recently acquired Quinta, i have a pond; 37m long 17m wide 7m deep, it has a spring source and an over flow, from tanks on terraces above it, that are also spring feed. I wish to stock it with fish for food. The majority of info. i have found, online, is American related; suggesting large mouth bass.
Do any of you have any knowledge, experience, of which type of fish i could stock. I am in central Portugal.
Thanks.
Old Nov 29th 2015, 12:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

mfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fish for food

My only qualification for comment is that I was involved with a trout fishery some years ago but FWIW, I'd think trout or carp might be good options but for any fish you might have trouble with the high summer temperatures & low oxygen levels......... also, bearing in mind you can buy a portion of something like monkfish or several other (mostly farmed) fish for about €1 per portion, I wonder if it's economically viable to farm fish for you own table?

I also wonder if you've considered stocking it with trout and running a small put & take fly fishing operation because there's not a single one of those in the central zone?

And there's an awful lot of frustrated fly fishermen here!
Old Nov 29th 2015, 12:35 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mfesharne
My only qualification for comment is that I was involved with a trout fishery some years ago but FWIW, I'd think trout or carp might be good options but for any fish you might have trouble with the high summer temperatures & low oxygen levels......... also, bearing in mind you can buy a portion of something like monkfish or several other (mostly farmed) fish for about €1 per portion, I wonder if it's economically viable to farm fish for you own table?

I also wonder if you've considered stocking it with trout and running a small put & take fly fishing operation because there's not a single one of those in the central zone?

I have to say I agree - unless you happen to like Carp, there's a difference between pond-fish and other freshwater fish........ and (in my opinion) both fall short of the cut in a land where good seafish is so easily available. I too have a similar baragem on my land, but it already has its native population of hungry turtles so fish wouldn't be much of an option....
Old Nov 29th 2015, 12:36 pm
Forum Regular

nogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the above. Water overflow from the tanks will oxygenate the pond, it is a 2m drop, flow?
At 7m deep over that area; high Summer temperatures?
As for the; Put and Take. I am too found of my privacy; sorry!
Old Nov 29th 2015, 1:29 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Most freshwater fish taste of not much, or of the mud and silt that they ingest. There is a reason why one common freshwater fish in the US is named a "crappie". While bass fishing is very popular in the US, I have never heard of anyone eating them.

I would say trout would be your best option, assuming they can deal with the temperatures - I seem to recall they prefer cool water.
Old Nov 29th 2015, 1:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

mfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond repute

Ah well...... it was worth a try!

Will the spring run through the hot/dry summer months? - If so then it'll be much easier for you but actual water temperature might still be a problem.

Also, do you know what type of bottom the lake has because if it's very muddy, whatever you put in there will probably taste like it.
Old Nov 29th 2015, 2:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

peterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Nogard

Are you looking to raise fish possibly like the Aquaponics system perhaps the link below may help. The fastest growth rate for fish kept for food is the Tiapia and there are many types to choose from. Being a fish keeper in my previous life i looked here in Portugal and various Forums where to get tropical or cold water fish but i have not been able to find any. Probably you will need to import fingerlings to start you breeding stock.

Where about in Central Portugal are you?

Good luck

Peter

https://www.google.pt/search?client=...OuKr8wftg4SQAg

https://www.google.pt/search?client=...Nu2r8wempZKICQ

Live Tilapia for Aquaponics in the UK

Last edited by peterfc; Nov 29th 2015 at 2:21 pm.
Old Nov 29th 2015, 4:43 pm
Forum Regular

Ah well...... it was worth a try!

Will the spring run through the hot/dry summer months? - If so then it'll be much easier for you but actual water temperature might still be a problem.

Also, do you know what type of bottom the lake has because if it's very muddy, whatever you put in there will probably taste like it.
Yes, the spring/springs run throughout the Summer. I have a lot of water on this Quinta; springs, a mine and a number of large old granite water tanks; all spring fed, plus the two large ponds.
One of the tanks; mountain spring fed, 1.6m deep x 25m. sq is used as a plunge pool. In the height of the Summer, in full sun, mid afternoon, it is bl--dy cold!
At 7m deep, i would expect the bottom to be granite, albeit, it could be muddy by now, as the Quinta is 120 years old. However; it is drainable and i intend to drain it and see!
Old Nov 29th 2015, 4:47 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by peterfc
Hi Nogard

Are you looking to raise fish possibly like the Aquaponics system perhaps the link below may help. The fastest growth rate for fish kept for food is the Tiapia and there are many types to choose from. Being a fish keeper in my previous life i looked here in Portugal and various Forums where to get tropical or cold water fish but i have not been able to find any. Probably you will need to import fingerlings to start you breeding stock.

Where about in Central Portugal are you?

Good luck

Peter

https://www.google.pt/search?client=...OuKr8wftg4SQAg

https://www.google.pt/search?client=...Nu2r8wempZKICQ

Live Tilapia for Aquaponics in the UK
Hi Peter, thanks for the links and advice. I am in the Fundao region.
Old Nov 29th 2015, 6:39 pm
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

A fisherman neighbour of mine keeps barbel he's caught in a local river in a granite water tank with a continual in/out flow of spring water until they grow to eating size.
Old Nov 30th 2015, 10:04 am
Just Joined

Centralbound is an unknown quantity at this point

...running a small put & take fly fishing operation because there's not a single one of those in the central zone?
The economics aren't there. There is fly fishing on the Alva and Ceira though, probably an hour north for you. Bass as well. Ask in your local hunting shop. Locals eat barbel and zander (invasive species), pike, lamprey, other eels, brown trout etc but I have never been able to buy any. Never any time to take my own, and the only game I have seen is in the freezer in bloody makro.
Old Nov 30th 2015, 2:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Centralbound
The economics aren't there. There is fly fishing on the Alva and Ceira though, probably an hour north for you. Bass as well. Ask in your local hunting shop. Locals eat barbel and zander (invasive species), pike, lamprey, other eels, brown trout etc but I have never been able to buy any. Never any time to take my own, and the only game I have seen is in the freezer in bloody makro.
All the fishing that I'm aware of is in rivers & although some are stocked from time to time, the large bag limits they allow here mean it's very much a feast or famine situation........ mostly famine though.

What there isn't much of is small put & take fly fisheries such as are so common in the UK.

As for game meat, try your local hunting association who should be able to put you onto the local suppliers....... and for what it's worth, one particular area that has a fair amount is around Castelo Branco.

That said, most areas have several monterias every year.
Old Dec 1st 2015, 8:46 am
Just Joined

Re the monteiras, no shortage of javali but I don't like it much. Partridge, pheasant, hare, wild rabbit, venison oh yes, but precious little for sale. I know a couple of hunters, they scoff their own catch though.
Old Dec 1st 2015, 9:52 am
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Centralbound
Re the monteiras, no shortage of javali but I don't like it much. Partridge, pheasant, hare, wild rabbit, venison oh yes, but precious little for sale. I know a couple of hunters, they scoff their own catch though.
I live in the hills of the Alentejo, 8km from the nearest village - and there is hardly any wildlife, precious sign of rabbit and nothing bigger. Only the things they don't yet shoot remain....apart from some red legged grouse roosting in my hedge because my few hectares are NOT open to hunting. The "hunters" have denuded the land of almost all wildlife.
Old Dec 1st 2015, 11:34 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by macliam
The "hunters" have denuded the land of almost all wildlife.
Historically the same here in the centro but things are improving. Not to the point of rustling up a rabbit pie without the help of the supermarket yet though...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.