Finding jobs

Old Oct 7th 2008, 7:42 pm
Just Joined

Location: currently living in Peterborough, wanting to move to portugal
Evegang is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Finding jobs

We are planning to move over to Portugal in the next couple of months, where is the best place to start looking for jobs. We are planning to move to Santa Barbara De Nixa (not sure if spelt right) and we do not have a clue where to start.
Pleeeeaaase help......
Old Oct 8th 2008, 6:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Hettyb has a reputation beyond reputeHettyb has a reputation beyond reputeHettyb has a reputation beyond reputeHettyb has a reputation beyond reputeHettyb has a reputation beyond reputeHettyb has a reputation beyond reputeHettyb has a reputation beyond reputeHettyb has a reputation beyond reputeHettyb has a reputation beyond reputeHettyb has a reputation beyond reputeHettyb has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Finding jobs

Originally Posted by Evegang
We are planning to move over to Portugal in the next couple of months, where is the best place to start looking for jobs. We are planning to move to Santa Barbara De Nixa (not sure if spelt right) and we do not have a clue where to start.
Pleeeeaaase help......
First of all welcome to the forum.

St Barbara de Nexe (Prounounced Nesh) is a great place but I would have thought the job opportunities were pretty thin. Most expats are retired or work in the UK and travel out as often as they can. What sort of thing were you aiming for, do you speak Portuguese and what transport will you have?
Old Oct 8th 2008, 8:55 am
eheheheeeeeeeeeer!

gazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond repute

Have you thought it through as jobs are not eay to come by here and many return home dissapointed
Old Oct 8th 2008, 8:58 am
BE Enthusiast

omostra06 has a brilliant futureomostra06 has a brilliant futureomostra06 has a brilliant futureomostra06 has a brilliant futureomostra06 has a brilliant futureomostra06 has a brilliant futureomostra06 has a brilliant futureomostra06 has a brilliant future

Hi welcome to the forum,
as Hettyb says, the language may be the factor between gettiñg some work and not. if you speak Portuguese it will help, unless you try to find work with the expats, but bear in mind everyone else will be trying this too.
Old Oct 8th 2008, 9:12 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Hettyb
First of all welcome to the forum.

St Barbara de Nexe (Prounounced Nesh) is a great place but I would have thought the job opportunities were pretty thin. Most expats are retired or work in the UK and travel out as often as they can. What sort of thing were you aiming for, do you speak Portuguese and what transport will you have?
We don't speak Portugese yet, we have been told its a waste of time trying to learn the language until we get there...At the mo i work in foreign currency and my husband is in telecoms, but to be honest we will try our hands at anything (well almost lol) we will also have at least one car so we would be able to travel. Are there any recruitment agencies out there and if so which ones are the best?
Old Oct 8th 2008, 9:14 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by gazz
Have you thought it through as jobs are not eay to come by here and many return home dissapointed
We went to an exhibition in Birmingham (A Place in the Sun) and we were told that there are jobs out in Portugal but the wages are a lot less than here in the UK. We just don't know where to start...
Old Oct 8th 2008, 9:18 am
eheheheeeeeeeeeer!

gazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond repute

We don't speak Portugese yet, we have been told its a waste of time trying to learn the language until we get there...At the mo i work in foreign currency and my husband is in telecoms, but to be honest we will try our hands at anything (well almost lol) we will also have at least one car so we would be able to travel. Are there any recruitment agencies out there and if so which ones are the best?
Well whoever told you that learning the language before you get here is a waste?, trying to learn as you go along could take years, can you afford to wait that long?
You should be able to find work with one of the foreign currency agents here i would of thought but your husband would definetly need the language to continue with telecommunications here, otherwise do remember that the average wage here is far less than that of the UK.
Old Oct 8th 2008, 9:23 am
eheheheeeeeeeeeer!

We went to an exhibition in Birmingham (A Place in the Sun) and we were told that there are jobs out in Portugal but the wages are a lot less than here in the UK. We just don't know where to start...
There are a few within the tourist trades but mainly seasonal, beyond that it will be tough but i suppose not impossible, don´t always believe what you hear at those trade shows, jobs are tough to find especially here in the Algarve even for the locals and trust me learn as much of the language as you can before coming, would be my no1 tip
Old Oct 8th 2008, 9:33 am
Just Joined

There are a few within the tourist trades but mainly seasonal, beyond that it will be tough but i suppose not impossible, don´t always believe what you hear at those trade shows, jobs are tough to find especially here in the Algarve even for the locals and trust me learn as much of the language as you can before coming, would be my no1 tip
Best get me phrase book out again then.... lol
Are there any job centers out there and where ate they based, every time i try to google them i don't get very far...
Old Oct 8th 2008, 9:50 am
eheheheeeeeeeeeer!

Are there any job centers out there and where ate they based, every time i try to google them i don't get very far...
Sorry don´t know if they exist here?, have you tried contacting the main players i nthe currency markets here? you could probabaly get something set up before you came over , if you want some connections i may be able to help you, let me know
Old Oct 8th 2008, 10:06 am
Just Joined

Sorry don´t know if they exist here?, have you tried contacting the main players i nthe currency markets here? you could probabaly get something set up before you came over , if you want some connections i may be able to help you, let me know
That would be fantastic, at the moment i am a Client Manager within Travelex but i would be willing to start at the bottom again.
Sue
Old Oct 8th 2008, 10:07 am
eheheheeeeeeeeeer!

That would be fantastic, at the moment i am a Client Manager within Travelex but i would be willing to start at the bottom again.
Sue
Have PM´D you ok
Old Oct 8th 2008, 10:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Hettyb has a reputation beyond reputeHettyb has a reputation beyond reputeHettyb has a reputation beyond reputeHettyb has a reputation beyond reputeHettyb has a reputation beyond reputeHettyb has a reputation beyond reputeHettyb has a reputation beyond reputeHettyb has a reputation beyond reputeHettyb has a reputation beyond reputeHettyb has a reputation beyond reputeHettyb has a reputation beyond repute

I think your expectaions may be set a little high, things just are not as organised out there. Why don't you go out for a week and have a good look about on the job front? It is difficult, don't fall for the place in the sun hype. I have known at least four families open up a restaurant business in St Barbera in the past four years and none of them have lasted more than two years, two of them closed after their first season.

Good luck with your search.
Old Oct 8th 2008, 10:23 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Hettyb
I think your expectaions may be set a little high, things just are not as organised out there. Why don't you go out for a week and have a good look about on the job front? It is difficult, don't fall for the place in the sun hype. I have known at least four families open up a restaurant business in St Barbera in the past four years and none of them have lasted more than two years, two of them closed after their first season.

Good luck with your search.
I'm not expecting to walk straight into the role level i am at the mo, it's more about the quality of life for me and my family. We have spoken to people who have made the move already so we know what we are up against....i also know i will have to get rid of most of my shoes with heels lol: thumbdown:
Old Oct 8th 2008, 11:38 am
Forum Regular

Saz1 is just really niceSaz1 is just really niceSaz1 is just really niceSaz1 is just really niceSaz1 is just really niceSaz1 is just really niceSaz1 is just really niceSaz1 is just really nice

Hi

I would really recommend looking at the threads started by Aaron and Jo on this forum, as they were requiring the same kind of info.

We were speaking to a german friend in the Algrave last week, whose daughter speaks fluent german, english and portuguese. She went for a job in a hotel (reception I think ) and after all the taxes etc, she was going to be left with 400 euros a month! Lucky she is living at home. . . . and no rent to pay.

Anyway, your situation is not the same, but that was just an indication as to how low the wages can be.

Good luck with it all.

Saz1

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.