Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Filing UK tax return online

Filing UK tax return online

Old Sep 29th 2008, 4:53 pm
Forum Regular

PubChampion has much to be proud ofPubChampion has much to be proud ofPubChampion has much to be proud ofPubChampion has much to be proud ofPubChampion has much to be proud ofPubChampion has much to be proud ofPubChampion has much to be proud ofPubChampion has much to be proud ofPubChampion has much to be proud ofPubChampion has much to be proud ofPubChampion has much to be proud of
Default Filing UK tax return online

Has anyone submitted their UK tax return online? Is it difficult to get registered on the IR site and fill in the form?

My accountant it telling me that the new deadline is Oct 31. However, he "forgot" to tell me that apparently the deadline is still Jan 31 if you file online.
Old Sep 29th 2008, 5:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hettyb has a reputation beyond reputeHettyb has a reputation beyond reputeHettyb has a reputation beyond reputeHettyb has a reputation beyond reputeHettyb has a reputation beyond reputeHettyb has a reputation beyond reputeHettyb has a reputation beyond reputeHettyb has a reputation beyond reputeHettyb has a reputation beyond reputeHettyb has a reputation beyond reputeHettyb has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Filing UK tax return online

Originally Posted by PubChampion
Has anyone submitted their UK tax return online? Is it difficult to get registered on the IR site and fill in the form?

My accountant it telling me that the new deadline is Oct 31. However, he "forgot" to tell me that apparently the deadline is still Jan 31 if you file online.
I file my VAT online and that's quite easy.
Old Sep 29th 2008, 6:13 pm
Forum Regular

nigel.b is just really nicenigel.b is just really nicenigel.b is just really nicenigel.b is just really nicenigel.b is just really nicenigel.b is just really nicenigel.b is just really nicenigel.b is just really nice

It's relatively easy to register online...

...BUT unless I've missed the point, one of the first things you see online is a message "if you are a non-resident you cannot file online."

Don't take this as gospel - all these forms are mind-bogglingly complicated and I may have got it wrong. If I'm right I suspect it's because non-residents have a different set of hoops to jump through.

Of course you may be a UK resident (and even ordinarily resident, perhaps even domiciled...)

Boa sorte!
Old Oct 5th 2008, 7:54 pm
Forum Regular

sukitess is an unknown quantity at this point

we live in england and own property in tavira.The good old ir tell us we can not file our tax form online because they do not yet have the facility yet.Had endless problems getting the right forms for declaring income abroad from uk. The tax office are not educated to recognise our needs. Not sure if you are filing in portugal or england but good luck
Old Oct 5th 2008, 8:28 pm
Forum Regular

PubChampion has much to be proud ofPubChampion has much to be proud ofPubChampion has much to be proud ofPubChampion has much to be proud ofPubChampion has much to be proud ofPubChampion has much to be proud ofPubChampion has much to be proud ofPubChampion has much to be proud ofPubChampion has much to be proud ofPubChampion has much to be proud ofPubChampion has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by sukitess
we can not file our tax form online because they do not yet have the facility yet.
Sorry I'm confused. They don't have the facility to declare foreign income online? Or they don't have the facility to file a tax return online? Please clarify if you can.

My tax return is as simple as it gets, with no foreign income.
Old Oct 5th 2008, 9:16 pm
Forum Regular

loonytoon is an unknown quantity at this point

I've filed UK return online for last 3 years - it's a doodle. Dead easy to get access codes but not sure if they will send to an overseas address (never looked as it was never relevant to me).
Old Oct 6th 2008, 4:53 am
Forum Regular

nigel.b is just really nicenigel.b is just really nicenigel.b is just really nicenigel.b is just really nicenigel.b is just really nicenigel.b is just really nicenigel.b is just really nicenigel.b is just really nice

As I understand it the key point is your residency status. Are you resident in England for tax purposes? If you are, no problem filing online. They will send the access codes to Portugal.

If you are non-resident (ie basically have lived outide the UK for some years), you cannot file online. The point seems to be that a non-resident fills in different forms, and these are not online.

None of the contributors above have mentioned their residency status (which is complicated - you can be non-resident but ordinarily resident, or not ordinarily resident but domiciled... Eyes start to glaze over.
Old Oct 6th 2008, 4:56 am
Forum Regular

PS Your accountant ought to be able to advise you!
Old Oct 6th 2008, 8:42 am
Forum Regular

sukitess is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by PubChampion
Sorry I'm confused. They don't have the facility to declare foreign income online? Or they don't have the facility to file a tax return online? Please clarify if you can.

My tax return is as simple as it gets, with no foreign income.
Sorry to confuse. We are British resident earning a income from a appartment in Portugal. The IR in England do not have the facility to file a tax return on line for people getting income from Portugal. Hope this clarifies the confusion.
I agree with Nigel. It depends where your residency is if all you want to do is file a ordinary tax return.
Old Oct 6th 2008, 12:59 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by nigel.b
As I understand it the key point is your residency status. Are you resident in England for tax purposes? If you are, no problem filing online. They will send the access codes to Portugal.

If you are non-resident (ie basically have lived outide the UK for some years), you cannot file online. The point seems to be that a non-resident fills in different forms, and these are not online.

None of the contributors above have mentioned their residency status (which is complicated - you can be non-resident but ordinarily resident, or not ordinarily resident but domiciled... Eyes start to glaze over.
Thanks for clarifying the whole issue, I can understand where I stand now.

I'm still a UK resident, unable to sell my house like many other people at present. Regarding my accountant, I'm not sure I need him anymore. Nice chap, but if it's easy to do it online and do away with posting silly forms to and fro... The web is changing the way we live.