Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

A few more Q´s re: Pt to UK move

A few more Q´s re: Pt to UK move

Old Sep 20th 2013, 12:38 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Costa de Caparica: 2007-2010. Then Olivais, Lisboa: 2010-2017. Currently back in Cambridge, UK.
ah207 has a reputation beyond reputeah207 has a reputation beyond reputeah207 has a reputation beyond reputeah207 has a reputation beyond reputeah207 has a reputation beyond reputeah207 has a reputation beyond reputeah207 has a reputation beyond reputeah207 has a reputation beyond reputeah207 has a reputation beyond reputeah207 has a reputation beyond reputeah207 has a reputation beyond repute
Default A few more Q´s re: Pt to UK move

Apologies for posting so many questions lately. Yes, there are older threads that already deal with such topics, but since things change a lot in Pt from year to year, its worth getting fresh input. So here goes:

1. Assuming we take with us a double bed, dining room table+6 chairs, couple of office desks+chairs, 2 cupboards, usual mix of kitchen pots/pans, a sofa, a futon....could all of these fit into a large van, or perhaps a small lorry ?

2. What is the approx cost range these days of moving the above mentioned items from Pt (Lisbon) to the UK (Cambridge) ?

3. Would our Samsung flat screen TV work in the UK on cable ?

If by now you are wondering whether the wife and I are moving back to the UK - the answer is, we may have to. We have a March 2014 time frame in mind. Unless of course, in the meantime I find a job here. My contract ended at the end of May 2013. Since then, I have sent off 128 job applications and received just three job interviews (but got no offers). 3 interviews in 4 months is not very encouraging. Meanwhile back in the UK, ex-colleagues and friends living in the Cambridge-London-Oxford triangle have been sending me multiple job alerts almost every day.

It will be sad if we leave Pt because of work, rather than any other reason. Life here has been fantastic - loved it! But alas, jobs in science/technology are scarce. So we have to think about our careers and long term financial security. Perhaps someday we will come back to retire here - but for now, Pt is not where its all happening.
Old Sep 20th 2013, 1:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

peterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A few more Q´s re: Pt to UK move

Hi AH207

Sorry to hear that you may haveto go bac to the UK.

A long wheel base Transit should be OK, it's what i used, it all depends how good you are at packing.

UK TV's work here so your TV from here should work in the UK without any problem.

My cost for a van and huge box trailer from Le Harve to Gois were about about 90€ but that was in 2011. As for fuel it all depends on teh type of van ad the way you drive. I drive at about 55/ 60 mph as this is the most economical speed for fuel economy.

If you use the ferry in the middle of the night the cost is a lot less.

Good luck

Peter " Dreams can come true "
Old Sep 20th 2013, 2:23 pm
Forum Regular

coleio has a reputation beyond reputecoleio has a reputation beyond reputecoleio has a reputation beyond reputecoleio has a reputation beyond reputecoleio has a reputation beyond reputecoleio has a reputation beyond reputecoleio has a reputation beyond reputecoleio has a reputation beyond reputecoleio has a reputation beyond reputecoleio has a reputation beyond reputecoleio has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

If you do the move yourself and none of it dismantles then sofa+tables+cupboards+desks+chairs+etc won't fit in a van (try measuring the volume and compare with the spec of the van) unless its the biggest LWB Luton or possibly a 7.5 tonne truck which is a "small lorry". Hire of a 7.5 tonne is 700 euro a week -- UK to France to Portugal maybe 1500km one way drive at 6 km/litre (18mpg) or 500litre for the return journey -- 500L at 1.3 euro = 650 euro . Then add the ferry crossing DFDS Freight 250 euro return Total = 1600 euro then add any road tolls. That is if your licence covers you for 7.5 tonne, I have not found any one who does a "one way hire" which is why you need the return. If you do the volume measure then try a shipping company who may have a part container going to the UK as should be cheaper but more complex logistically.

Originally Posted by ah207
Apologies for posting so many questions lately. Yes, there are older threads that already deal with such topics, but since things change a lot in Pt from year to year, its worth getting fresh input. So here goes:

1. Assuming we take with us a double bed, dining room table+6 chairs, couple of office desks+chairs, 2 cupboards, usual mix of kitchen pots/pans, a sofa, a futon....could all of these fit into a large van, or perhaps a small lorry ?

2. What is the approx cost range these days of moving the above mentioned items from Pt (Lisbon) to the UK (Cambridge) ?

3. Would our Samsung flat screen TV work in the UK on cable ?

If by now you are wondering whether the wife and I are moving back to the UK - the answer is, we may have to. We have a March 2014 time frame in mind. Unless of course, in the meantime I find a job here. My contract ended at the end of May 2013. Since then, I have sent off 128 job applications and received just three job interviews (but got no offers). 3 interviews in 4 months is not very encouraging. Meanwhile back in the UK, ex-colleagues and friends living in the Cambridge-London-Oxford triangle have been sending me multiple job alerts almost every day.

It will be sad if we leave Pt because of work, rather than any other reason. Life here has been fantastic - loved it! But alas, jobs in science/technology are scarce. So we have to think about our careers and long term financial security. Perhaps someday we will come back to retire here - but for now, Pt is not where its all happening.
Old Sep 21st 2013, 9:22 am
Forum Regular

Location: Costa de Caparica: 2007-2010. Then Olivais, Lisboa: 2010-2017. Currently back in Cambridge, UK.
ah207 has a reputation beyond reputeah207 has a reputation beyond reputeah207 has a reputation beyond reputeah207 has a reputation beyond reputeah207 has a reputation beyond reputeah207 has a reputation beyond reputeah207 has a reputation beyond reputeah207 has a reputation beyond reputeah207 has a reputation beyond reputeah207 has a reputation beyond reputeah207 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Peter & Coleio for the info. I´ve done a bit of browsing on the web and managed to get answers to some of my other queries and concerns.

As for removals - its unlikely I will hire a van and drive it myself. I estimate our furniture to have a volume of around 15 cubic meters - more or less that of a Luton van. I can budget 1000 Euros - maybe stretch it to 1500. Might be able to find a removals company happy to do it for that.

In the meantime, I will continue job-seeking in Pt, even making spontaneous (speculative) applications right up until December. You never know. But from Jan 2014 onwards, I´ll have to start making enquiries back in the UK. If both the wife and I do move back and find jobs there, it is unlikely we will return to live in portugal except perhaps for retirement. That won´t be for another 25 years.
Old Sep 21st 2013, 9:22 am
Forum Regular

duplicate post - deleted.