Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

European Union Small Claims Procedure

European Union Small Claims Procedure

Old Feb 23rd 2018, 10:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

BlackBeardie has a reputation beyond reputeBlackBeardie has a reputation beyond reputeBlackBeardie has a reputation beyond reputeBlackBeardie has a reputation beyond reputeBlackBeardie has a reputation beyond reputeBlackBeardie has a reputation beyond reputeBlackBeardie has a reputation beyond reputeBlackBeardie has a reputation beyond reputeBlackBeardie has a reputation beyond reputeBlackBeardie has a reputation beyond reputeBlackBeardie has a reputation beyond repute
Default European Union Small Claims Procedure

Hi All,
Has anyone had experience using the European Union Small Claims procedure? I am a bit confused as to the maximum value of a claim.

On the home page it says a claim can be made for a maximum value of €5000.

https://e-justice.europa.eu/content_...laims-42-en.do

But on the UK guide it refers to an maximum amount of £2000, which to my mind is significantly less than €5000.

https://e-justice.europa.eu/fileDown...2-7ed16180d541

Thank you.

Last edited by BlackBeardie; Feb 23rd 2018 at 10:22 pm. Reason: additional info.
Old Feb 25th 2018, 9:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: European Union Small Claims Procedure

I don't think Portugal has such a thing as small claims court; I was waiting for one of our many members with legal knowledge to write something about it, but no one answered this thread.
Old Feb 26th 2018, 6:05 am
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

No legal knowledge required

The discrepancy between the amounts mentioned is due to the published date of the links. One of them's past its use-by.

The procedure was revised last year to make it simpler and quicker and the amount raised from 2,000€ to 5,000€ :

A new fast-track procedure to enable consumers and SMEs to settle small claims cheaply, quickly and hassle-free came into force across the EU today (14 July). ...

...The revised rules introduce a new threshold of €5,000 up from €2,000 which will allow more consumers and businesses to solve cross-border problems and enable the use of online procedures and video-conferencing which cut out unnecessary travelling to courts saving time and money.
...etc

New simpler and faster small claims rights for consumers and SMEs
Old Feb 26th 2018, 6:47 am
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute

And is this procedure available in Portugal?

I've heard a few stories of small contracts that were broken, and with the slow ponderous court system here, it wasn't worth pursuing suing.
Old Feb 26th 2018, 5:12 pm
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by liveaboard
The procedure's available across the entire EU, except in Denmark which has opted out.

I've heard a few stories of small contracts that were broken, and with the slow ponderous court system here, it wasn't worth pursuing suing.
It looks from this as though the responsible court is obliged to work at quite a pace :
https://europa.eu/youreurope/busines...s/index_en.htm
Old Feb 27th 2018, 8:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

BlackBeardie has a reputation beyond reputeBlackBeardie has a reputation beyond reputeBlackBeardie has a reputation beyond reputeBlackBeardie has a reputation beyond reputeBlackBeardie has a reputation beyond reputeBlackBeardie has a reputation beyond reputeBlackBeardie has a reputation beyond reputeBlackBeardie has a reputation beyond reputeBlackBeardie has a reputation beyond reputeBlackBeardie has a reputation beyond reputeBlackBeardie has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Red Eric,
As usual you are on top of it. I did get a reply back from the EU's Portal team

Here it straight from the horse's mouth :
" Dear Mr. Rodrigues,

Thank you for contacting us.

The maximum value for a small claim in the EU is €5 000, we are currently waiting for the updated official guides to include in the European e-justice Portal. As soon as we receive the guides we will update our pages.

We apologise for any inconvenience you may experience in the meantime.

Kind regards,
The European e-Justice Portal team
"
Old Feb 27th 2018, 8:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Red Eric
No legal knowledge required

The discrepancy between the amounts mentioned is due to the published date of the links. One of them's past its use-by.

The procedure was revised last year to make it simpler and quicker and the amount raised from 2,000€ to 5,000€ :

...etc

New simpler and faster small claims rights for consumers and SMEs
Thanks Red Eric
Old Feb 27th 2018, 8:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

It may still be ponderous as you have to do a lot of the leg work yourself Portugal as I don't think they have a dedicated small claims court. So you need to find the right tribunal to send the claim to. Força
Old Feb 28th 2018, 6:42 am
Polished expat

Originally Posted by BlackBeardie
It may still be ponderous as you have to do a lot of the leg work yourself Portugal as I don't think they have a dedicated small claims court.
I don't think it's a great deal different in principle to what goes on in Britain :
England and Wales does not have a separate small claims court.[13] They are usually dealt with in the County Court after being allocated to the small claims track of the County Court system. Small claims take place under a modified set of rules.[14] Low-value cases, including most non-personal injury cases up to £10,000, are usually assigned to the small claims track, producing a small claims action in the County Court. These cases are heard by district judges under an informal procedure.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Small_...land_and_Wales

Originally Posted by BlackBeardie
So you need to find the right tribunal to send the claim to. Força
There's a search tool on this page to help you find the competent courts - I don't know how well it works, obviously. Does it confirm what you've already found out, (assuming you have)? https://e-justice.europa.eu/content_...en.do?clang=en
Old Mar 2nd 2018, 9:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Red Eric
I don't think it's a great deal different in principle to what goes on in Britain :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Small_...land_and_Wales

There's a search tool on this page to help you find the competent courts - I don't know how well it works, obviously. Does it confirm what you've already found out, (assuming you have)? https://e-justice.europa.eu/content_...en.do?clang=en
Hi Red Eric,
Thanks for pointing out the link to me for the finding the appropriate court to file the small claim with. It works very well. It is the Tribunal Judicial da Comarca de Faro, in Faro for me should I decide to go this route.
Old Mar 2nd 2018, 10:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Good luck if you do, and I hope you'll let us know how it goes.

I have nothing that needs litigating and hope to keep it that way, but you never know.
Old Mar 9th 2018, 11:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Hi chaps,
I seem to have run into a stumbling block with this. When filling the Claim form one section states:"
5. Cross-border nature of the case
In order to make use of the European Small Claims Procedure, your case must be of a cross-border nature. A case is of a
cross-border nature if at least one of the parties is domiciled or habitually resident in a Member State other than the Member
State of the court/tribunal."

Does anyone have some advice on how I can overcome this obstacle as I am a Resident in Portugal and have change my Domicile to Portugal. The defendant's domicile is also Portugal. Thank you.