Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

English hubby & US wife able to move to Portugal?

English hubby & US wife able to move to Portugal?

Old May 14th 2006, 12:35 am
Forum Regular

istoleabloke is a jewel in the roughistoleabloke is a jewel in the roughistoleabloke is a jewel in the roughistoleabloke is a jewel in the rough
Default English hubby & US wife able to move to Portugal?

Hi, all,

We are researching the logistics of moving to Portugal in the next several years, but first wanted to confirm if we will have a problem.

Short background, husband is from England (and citizen) and moved to US in August 2004 in order to marry lil ole me. I was born and have always lived in US. We were going to wait until he can naturalize (in 2008 or so) before we relocate, but I wondered if we will have a problem moving to Portugal if he has not lived in England the past few years? He was going to retain his British citizenship, but if he can naturalize in the US before we move, we then wouldn't have any problems back and forth to the US as needed.

I wanted to verify this before continuing in case it puts a damper on our plans. I realize the importance of learning Portuguese and the like, so my question is only about any problems we may encounter due to his absence in the UK. He seems to think we would be fine, and as his spouse I could relocate with him (I would not be seeking employment there).

Any assistance or advice on where I can locate the regulations?

Thanks so much!

Last edited by istoleabloke; May 14th 2006 at 12:35 am. Reason: additional info
Old May 14th 2006, 7:41 am
Just Joined

matthew111 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: English hubby & US wife able to move to Portugal?

Originally Posted by istoleabloke
Hi, all,

We are researching the logistics of moving to Portugal in the next several years, but first wanted to confirm if we will have a problem.

Short background, husband is from England (and citizen) and moved to US in August 2004 in order to marry lil ole me. I was born and have always lived in US. We were going to wait until he can naturalize (in 2008 or so) before we relocate, but I wondered if we will have a problem moving to Portugal if he has not lived in England the past few years? He was going to retain his British citizenship, but if he can naturalize in the US before we move, we then wouldn't have any problems back and forth to the US as needed.

I wanted to verify this before continuing in case it puts a damper on our plans. I realize the importance of learning Portuguese and the like, so my question is only about any problems we may encounter due to his absence in the UK. He seems to think we would be fine, and as his spouse I could relocate with him (I would not be seeking employment there).

Thanks so much!
Hi there.If your husband will retain a UK passport then you will have no problems to relocate to Portugal what so ever.For more information try this link www.homeoffice.gov.uk
Matt
Old Aug 2nd 2006, 10:25 am
Just Joined

Clary Sage is an unknown quantity at this point

Any one who is European may move to another member state under specific circumstances.

1. To look for work (either freelance/self employed or employed) case law gives around 6 months for this.

2. To take up employment

3. retirement has its own rules

Refusal for permanant stay can be issued on

1. puplic health policy (diseases listed in World Health Org. list and attached to annex of free movement of worker directive)

2. Public policy - i.e. some crim convictions (drug dealing etc) although this element must be interpreted narrowly and the EU will not allow refusal on any flimsy ground such as economic reasons, passport has expired or you have 20 speeding tickets etc.

Your dependants may accompany you (under 21 for children) and partners who you are MARRIED to.

hope this helps.

Originally Posted by istoleabloke
Hi, all,

Thanks so much!
Old Aug 2nd 2006, 5:50 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

One quick question. Have you ever been there? If not, before you do decide to retire there, I would suggest a 2 week vacation at least.