Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

The English on Holiday

The English on Holiday

Old Jul 5th 2017, 11:52 am
Forum Regular

AllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The English on Holiday

Originally Posted by morpeth
It could be an interesting discussion whether the social changes resulting in the behavior of some or many today, have been overall beneficial to society. The lack of stability in families and effects on children hardly is an improvement. However due to ideology a hard discussion o have in this modern world.

Judging from where I was born in North East, and what my parents and grandparents told me, and what I see around today maybe "human nature" the same, but the human behavior has declined considerably.
The first coherent argument I have heard for while mate....

I think it is more a result of opportunity, in my grandfather's day the wife beating happened because the poor woman was there when he got home, probably nagging him about spending all the housekeeping, at a time when he was drunk.

Today people have enough money to get pissed every day...and go abroad on a holiday and get pissed...and pay the fine... and go to Spain next year...and get pissed again.

The bars in these places are making money and then eventually shit happens.
Old Jul 5th 2017, 11:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AllanB
The fact is I have had a lot of first hand experience of these incidents, in many different countries and have then seen those same incidents reported on the TV afterwards. Most bear little resemblance to the reality, they are made to look 100 times worse just to sell the story to couch potatoes.

These punch ups invariably involve only those who want to get involved, apart from a few broken windows. A bit scary for some, possibly.

A perfect example has already been mentioned, the Mod v Rockers, which was shown on the news, front page, for weeks like it was a major war. But they never mentioned that no one was killed, or seriously injured and very little damage was done too.

I also saw first hand, the aftermath of the IRA bombing of Harrods, so don't you dare compare the two.
Don't be so prickly... Alan B you talk as if you are the worlds expert on violence ? . I will compare any act of violence agains the public as anti social violent behaviour.. It matters not if it is terrorist throwing a Molotov cocktail or a drunken Brit shoving the broken glass he just drank his (cocktail ) in ..into someone's throat.... You are very selective Mr B

p.s I was IN Manchester when the IRA bombed three . miles of that city.. so don't YOU dare compare ...Fear is fear is fear..
Old Jul 5th 2017, 12:18 pm
Forum Regular

AllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GeniB
Don't be so prickly... Alan B you talk as if you are the worlds expert on violence ? . I will compare any act of violence agains the public as anti social violent behaviour.. It matters not if it is terrorist throwing a Molotov cocktail or a drunken Brit shoving the broken glass he just drank his (cocktail ) in ..into someone's throat.... You are very selective Mr B

p.s I was IN Manchester when the IRA bombed three . miles of that city.. so don't YOU dare compare ...Fear is fear is fear..
There is a vast difference between getting a "glimpse" of blood and body parts and being in the same city. That is not just fear, it leaves a permanent mark, so yes, maybe I am prickly.

In my experience it is rare that people on these holiday piss-ups get involved in pushing broken glasses in people's faces and that wasn't the case here either. They are mainly limited to fists flying around and usually missing, a hooting and a hollering and people running. "Glassing" tends to be an individual act carried out by a sadistic bastard.
Old Jul 5th 2017, 12:46 pm
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

I think it is more a result of opportunity, in my grandfather's day the wife beating happened because the poor woman was there when he got home, probably nagging him about spending all the housekeeping, at a time when he was drunk.
Nice grandfather you had. I hope you gave him a stern talking to as soon as you were old enough.
Old Jul 5th 2017, 1:10 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Red Eric
Nice grandfather you had. I hope you gave him a stern talking to as soon as you were old enough.
I said in my "Grandfather's day". Quite the contrary, he was the local "peacemaker", as mentioned in my previous posting. The police were not allowed to get involved in "domestics", the locals sorted things out themselves back then.
Old Jul 5th 2017, 2:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute

There is a vast difference between getting a "glimpse" of blood and body parts and being in the same city. That is not just fear, it leaves a permanent mark, so yes, maybe I am prickly.

In my experience it is rare that people on these holiday piss-ups get involved in pushing broken glasses in people's faces and that wasn't the case here either. They are mainly limited to fists flying around and usually missing, a hooting and a hollering and people running. "Glassing" tends to be an individual act carried out by a sadistic bastard.
This is a pointless discussion AlanB you seem to want to be angry about something..not quite sure what
Old Jul 7th 2017, 8:30 am
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

90% of a flight arriving in Taro last night had their journey sploilt by a few drunken morons, the typical t shirted stag party, so thick they have to have their names printed on their shirts in case they forget it.
We watched those exit the flight in drib and drabs rather than the usual rush with the morons coming off in ones and twos.
All became clear when the last three exited accompanied by their personal GNR officer.
The captain after we boarded informed us that members of the group had disrupted the flight and that the crew would be delaying the in-flight service as they were still recovering from the event.
Hopefully the guilty parties stay in Portugal will be both short and very expensive as they will need to find another airline to get back to the UK.

Last edited by EMR; Jul 7th 2017 at 9:39 am.
Old Jul 7th 2017, 4:05 pm
Banned

007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EMR
90% of a flight arriving in Taro last night had their journey sploilt by a few drunken morons, the typical t shirted stag party, so thick they have to have their names printed on their shirts in case they forget it.
We watched those exit the flight in drib and drabs rather than the usual rush with the morons coming off in ones and twos.
All became clear when the last three exited accompanied by their personal GNR officer.
The captain after we boarded informed us that members of the group had disrupted the flight and that the crew would be delaying the in-flight service as they were still recovering from the event.
Hopefully the guilty parties stay in Portugal will be both short and very expensive as they will need to find another airline to get back to the UK.
? Care to name the Airline EMR?
Old Jul 7th 2017, 4:12 pm
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 007Steve
? Care to name the Airline EMR?
Easy jet.
Not sure the airline is responsible for the morons who fly on it.
The alcohol they consume before boarding was probably a significant factor.
Old Jul 7th 2017, 4:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by EMR
Easy jet.
Not sure the airline is responsible for the morons who fly on it.
The alcohol they consume before boarding was probably a significant factor.
Ye see this is where I don't get it?

It's illegal to be drunk on an aircraft. so how come 'drunks' are allowed to board?

We will be flying with EasyJet very shortly and I am absolutely dreading it. Why should I pay good money to sit next to a drunk? and be made to feel unsafe?

Before anyone say's it. I have to fly with this airline. no alternative
Old Jul 7th 2017, 4:43 pm
EMR
Banned

It's illegal to be drunk on an aircraft. so how come 'drunks' are allowed to board?

We will be flying with EasyJet very shortly and I am absolutely dreading it. Why should I pay good money to sit next to a drunk? and be made to feel unsafe?

It's not Easyjet or Ryan or Monarch or any airlines fault, some now refuse to serve alcohol on certain flights to certain destinations because of the problems their customers cause.
I have seen travel refused by airlines to the obviously drunk, flight crews refusing to serve more drinks.
This was an evening flight but we will all have seen fellow Brita starting their holiday drinking from the moment they get airside, whatever the time.
Who needs to start drinking at 5.00am apart from Brits going on holiday.
Old Jul 8th 2017, 10:00 am
Banned

007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute

Perfectly right GeniB
But here we meet the The Brit Paradox.(2017 Edition). Page after page of Rules but senseless as to their priorities.
How many times have we all stood at Security and seen someone’s luggage pulled to pieces on the discovery that they have 160ml of fluids instead of 150? Slightly sharp comb handle?– Weapon!!! - in the bin.
Yet, these are the same people who will gladly wave through groups who are obviously blind drunk.
It makes no sense to me either.
Old Jul 8th 2017, 10:42 am
BE Enthusiast

Naaling has a reputation beyond reputeNaaling has a reputation beyond reputeNaaling has a reputation beyond reputeNaaling has a reputation beyond reputeNaaling has a reputation beyond reputeNaaling has a reputation beyond reputeNaaling has a reputation beyond reputeNaaling has a reputation beyond reputeNaaling has a reputation beyond reputeNaaling has a reputation beyond reputeNaaling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 007Steve
Perfectly right GeniB
But here we meet the The Brit Paradox.(2017 Edition). Page after page of Rules but senseless as to their priorities.
How many times have we all stood at Security and seen someone’s luggage pulled to pieces on the discovery that they have 160ml of fluids instead of 150? Slightly sharp comb handle?– Weapon!!! - in the bin.
Yet, these are the same people who will gladly wave through groups who are obviously blind drunk.
It makes no sense to me either.
The bars are in the departure lounge AFTER security.
Old Jul 8th 2017, 2:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

toots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond repute

I've been on flights were flight attendants totally ignore how drunk/inebriated passengers
are and willingly sell them more.(they are or were on commission for drinks sold).
I was on one flight sitting next to someone who was already half way there,and the flight attendant sold him 3 small bottles of bacardi which would have sent him well over the edge.One bottle in and he had his headphones on conducting a symphony,throwing his arms all over the place. We had to move seats,but if the flight had been full,we would have had a very uncomfortable flight.
Old Jul 8th 2017, 2:36 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Low air-pressure can increase the perceived effect of alcohol consumption, so on short-haul flights, I think alcohol should be banned, like smoking.

If Alcohol consumption required the amount of clear-up that smoking did, it would already be "banned" by the airlines..... but it's a quick way to make an extra buck.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.