Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

The English on Holiday

The English on Holiday

Old Jun 29th 2017, 6:59 pm
Banned

007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The English on Holiday

Originally Posted by GeniB
I have written to the British Ambassador in Lisbon Ms Kirsty Hayes. to protest at the lack of coverage and sensor from the British Government .It won't have much effect on it's own,however if many more British ex-pats register their dismay it might just make it to whitehall.
We are as much victims of this organised mayhem as the citizens of Portugal ,Spain or wherever else these thugs' decide to organise so called 'parties'. If we don't protest,don't be surprised at the consequence's in the future

We are after all demanding that muslims come up and protest against their own' religious nutters'..giving them a bad name.(albeit a tad more violent)

Thank you, GeniB
Old Jun 29th 2017, 7:53 pm
Forum Regular

AllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond repute

I can't see what difference it makes if it is true or not, there is so much fake news around and this is a small insignificant story.

If it isn't true, there are many similar stories of British drunks on holiday, if it is and not being reported it is because the story is "old hat". The BBC don't do "old hat" even when hundreds of thousands are dying.
Old Jun 30th 2017, 9:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AllanB
I can't see what difference it makes if it is true or not, there is so much fake news around and this is a small insignificant story.

If it isn't true, there are many similar stories of British drunks on holiday, if it is and not being reported it is because the story is "old hat". The BBC don't do "old hat" even when hundreds of thousands are dying.

Then if you are satisfied with what you have posted above,you only have yourself to blame for any consequences of not registering your thoughts,feelings, annoyance etc. when and if the same 'party bombing' reaches your neck of the woods, without any sort of sensor /action from our Government.

It is totally true by the way.. why would you think posters living in Portugal ,on the receiving end of this behaviour would post 'Fake News' ?

Saying it's 'old hat' is supposed to what? excuse our governments indifference?

Remember the old saying. 'You get the Government you deserve ' Its never been truer than right now.
Those old stories of Britain's drunks that have been ignored for yrs and yrs.Allowing them to gain in confidence. Well now they are so confident they are sending small armies of' (in Albufeira's case) 1,000 young, drunken men. to 'party bomb' that small seaside town ,full of families trying to enjoy their holidays . If our government won't stand up.. we should.
Old Jun 30th 2017, 9:56 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute

Hey GeniB - there were "ladies" among the mob too!
Old Jun 30th 2017, 10:10 am
Forum Regular

AllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GeniB
Then if you are satisfied with what you have posted above,you only have yourself to blame for any consequences of not registering your thoughts,feelings, annoyance etc. when and if the same 'party bombing' reaches your neck of the woods, without any sort of sensor /action from our Government.

It is totally true by the way.. why would you think posters living in Portugal ,on the receiving end of this behaviour would post 'Fake News' ?

Saying it's 'old hat' is supposed to what? excuse our governments indifference?

Remember the old saying. 'You get the Government you deserve ' Its never been truer than right now.
Those old stories of Britain's drunks that have been ignored for yrs and yrs.Allowing them to gain in confidence. Well now they are so confident they are sending small armies of' (in Albufeira's case) 1,000 young, drunken men. to 'party bomb' that small seaside town ,full of families trying to enjoy their holidays . If our government won't stand up.. we should.
I don't live in the Algarve for that very reason, because these people go there. I came to Portugal many years ago and like Malaga these people make a bee line for these areas, where they promote heavy drinking/partying, they make shit loads of money out of it. When it turns to trouble the cops crack a few heads. If you are unfortunately bought a house there, sell it and move.

What makes you think the government stand up for you, how naive is that?Governments are only interested in money, these incidents don't win/lose votes or make money for them.

I think people who only read the main stream media wouldn't recognise fake news if it jumped out and bit them on the ass. Me, I trust the football results, the rest is crap.
Old Jun 30th 2017, 12:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ingles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond repute

I wonder if this theft has any thing to do with "Invasion Portugal" & the problems that accrued.
The Weapons Storage Facility in Tancos has reportedly been broken into & a 100 off Hand Grenades are missing & and a untold amount 9mm Ammunition is also missing.
Could to locals be gearing up to defend there selves

Last edited by Ingles; Jun 30th 2017 at 12:34 pm. Reason: spelling
Old Jun 30th 2017, 12:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

peterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ingles
I wonder if this theft has any thing to do with "Invasion Portugal" & the problems that accrued.
The Weapons Storage Facility in Tancos has reportedly been broken into & a 100 off Hand Grenades are missing & and a untold amount 9mm Ammunition is also missing.
Could to locals be gearing up to defend there selves

By - Associated Press - Friday, June 30, 2017
LISBON, Portugal (AP) - Defense officials in Portugal say they are compiling a list of weapons and ammunition stolen from the national armory in a brazen daytime raid.
The Portuguese Army and the Defense Ministry say hand grenades, 9 mm ammunition and perhaps other weapons were stolen from the arsenal, which had no electronic surveillance and was guarded by military patrols.
Officials said Friday they won’t provide further details until the military police have concluded an investigation.
Defense Minister Azeredo Lopes said criminals broke in by cutting a hole in a perimeter fence.
Lopes described the robbery Wednesday at Tancos Air Base, 100 kilometers (60 miles) north of Lisbon, as a “very professional” job and a “serious” breach of security.
He said he has informed Portugal’s European Union and NATO partners of the theft.

Very Professional job so probably not locals
Old Jun 30th 2017, 6:10 pm
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

I don't live in the Algarve for that very reason, because these people go there. I came to Portugal many years ago and like Malaga these people make a bee line for these areas, where they promote heavy drinking/partying, they make shit loads of money out of it. When it turns to trouble the cops crack a few heads. If you are unfortunately bought a house there, sell it and move.

What makes you think the government stand up for you, how naive is that?Governments are only interested in money, these incidents don't win/lose votes or make money for them.

I think people who only read the main stream media wouldn't recognise fake news if it jumped out and bit them on the ass. Me, I trust the football results, the rest is crap.
The Algarve is not Albufeira, Albufeira is not just the short stretch of road known as the strip.
To suggest or think otherwise is to be a victim of fake news.
Old Jun 30th 2017, 7:14 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by EMR
The Algarve is not Albufeira, Albufeira is not just the short stretch of road known as the strip.
To suggest or think otherwise is to be a victim of fake news.
Have you ever been to the Algarve, or even Portugal, if not get a map, Albufeira is right in the middle of the Algarve?

Are you perhaps a victim of alcoholism, or just bad at geography?
Old Jun 30th 2017, 7:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

peterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond repute

Have you ever been to the Algarve, or even Portugal, if not get a map, Albufeira is right in the middle of the Algarve?

Old Jun 30th 2017, 9:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

AliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond repute

I think his point was that Albfeira is just one town in the Algarve, it is very different from the rest of the Algarve.
We have spent the last few years visiting just about every town and village on the coast of the Algarve deciding where to buy and, love it or hate it, nowhere is quite like Albufeira.
And some do love it, not just the young, a work mate of mine retired there.
Old Jun 30th 2017, 11:10 pm
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

I am here in Carvoeiro, kms from Albufeira, it could be on a different planet.
90% of Albufeira is also on a different planet to the small area affected by those who caused the problems.
I do not think it is me who is detached from reality.
Old Jul 1st 2017, 7:25 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by AliceCaroline
I think his point was that Albfeira is just one town in the Algarve, it is very different from the rest of the Algarve.
We have spent the last few years visiting just about every town and village on the coast of the Algarve deciding where to buy and, love it or hate it, nowhere is quite like Albufeira.
And some do love it, not just the young, a work mate of mine retired there.
That may be the case, but our friend was accusing me of spreading "fake news." and I resent that.

Had he said what you are saying, my reaction would have been different, but some people have nothing better to do than throw a few insults around.

Last edited by AllanB; Jul 1st 2017 at 7:28 am.
Old Jul 1st 2017, 7:47 am
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

I think people who only read the main stream media wouldn't recognise fake news if it jumped out and bit them on the ass.

...some people have nothing better to do than throw a few insults around.
Agreed.
Old Jul 1st 2017, 9:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute

That may be the case, but our friend was accusing me of spreading "fake news." and I resent that.

Had he said what you are saying, my reaction would have been different, but some people have nothing better to do than throw a few insults around.
Agree, on BE there are those who throw insults around and bad language.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.