Go Back   British Expats / Living & Moving Abroad / Europe / Portugal

Old Jun 27th 2017, 7:01 pm   #16
Rather sunburnt

Location: Arcos de Valdevez, Portugal. UNESCO World Biosphere Reserve.
Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The English on Holiday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Expatrick View Post
Ah, so the rioters weren't misbehaving then!
(Having noted source, didn't bother with link).
Well I didn't really say that, did I?

I'm not sure what you've got against the source - it's a series of pictures taken by a respected photojournalist who was working for AFP covering a demo in Lisbon - plus one of her being walloped by a policeman with a long truncheon for no reason other than that she was there.

OK, you don't like the The Guardian? I presume you've nothing against the Committee to Protect Journalists?

https://cpj.org/blog/2012/03/portugu...otographer.php
Old Jun 27th 2017, 10:21 pm   #17
GeniB 
BE Forum Addict

GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Eric View Post
They do have a history of being pretty heavy-handed on occasions ......
I would be more than 'heavy handed' if faced with this ! It is SCANDALOUS That the British people accept this behaviour 'in their name' in foreign countries. British embassies seem to be powerless to do anything about these huge out of control groups of British youths.. literally 'invading' other countries and making the population afraid in their own B****y country There are NO mitigating circumstance.

I sincerely hope its not those two 'repulsive' men in London who have organised this group. That they have not moved on from doing the same thing in Spanish resorts. They should be in jail for what they do.. but heh.its just a bit of fun ain't it.. whats the fuss?

Strangely enough I wrote a book about just this sort of thing a couple of yrs ago.A fiction., but maybe it's coming true.
GeniB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27th 2017, 10:37 pm   #18
GeniB 
BE Forum Addict

GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Eric View Post
It all depends.

Personally, I think if people who are actually causing problems under these sort of circumstances find themselves on the wrong end of a police baton or whatever, they've only got themselves to blame, although I've always been disturbed when I see pictures of police repeatedly hitting people with extreme force about the head or the midriff, especially when they're clearly no longer presenting a threat.

Unfortunately though, here and elsewhere, the police on the rampage appear not always to be as careful as they might be about restricting their targets only to troublemakers, so bystanders and witnesses can sometimes find themselves on the end of some summary justice, despite not having done anything other than just being there or possibly simply trying to get away from any trouble.
'Unfortunately though,here and elsewhere the police on the rampage' ? what?

They set out that night to have a 'bit of a go at the public' because ? what they were bored or something?.They weren't called because people were afraid ,mayhem had broken out. Nothing like that?

Ask your self this simple question.. What the H**l were SIX HUNDRED young British men doing in a fairly small Portuguese 'family' seaside town.? They weren't sipping Earl Grey tea that's for sure. They were doing that good old British major pastime 'thing ' and getting blind drunk. They make me deeply ashamed to be British
GeniB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27th 2017, 11:43 pm   #19
BE Enthusiast

peterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond repute

Hi All

Whatever we have seen reported by the Police then why should we moan, they never made use come to There country. That being the case why should we complain about the way they administer Justice.

How many on this Forum would want to meet a crown of 600 drunken yobs?

Right or wrong if the 600 don't like the treatment they got then don't come back.

Peter
peterfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28th 2017, 7:01 am   #20
Rather sunburnt

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeniB View Post
'Unfortunately though,here and elsewhere the police on the rampage' ? what?

They set out that night to have a 'bit of a go at the public' because ? what they were bored or something?.They weren't called because people were afraid ,mayhem had broken out. Nothing like that?

Ask your self this simple question.. What the H**l were SIX HUNDRED young British men doing in a fairly small Portuguese 'family' seaside town.? They weren't sipping Earl Grey tea that's for sure. They were doing that good old British major pastime 'thing ' and getting blind drunk. They make me deeply ashamed to be British
Ahem.

I appear to have let myself down a little in expressing myself on this occasion, given this and other reactions. I was merely saying - as a general observation (and in response to a specific comment from another poster re: claims of over-reaction by the police) - that it isn't unheard of for the police to go a bit over the top, hence the comment about their behaviour when "on the rampage". I appreciate they have a very difficult job to do, though.

I wasn't suggesting that there was anything untoward on this occasion, not knowing much about it other than some fuzzy video footage on the TV news and a brief report. Must admit I was a tad shocked by the police finding it necessary to fire into the air - it's not a regular occurrence as far as I'm aware even when there have been disturbances. Glad I wasn't in the vicinity. However, no - I'm not in any way excusing the behaviour of the people who caused the police to be called to the scene.
Old Jun 28th 2017, 9:37 am   #21
BE Forum Addict

Expatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I wasn't suggesting that there was anything untoward on this occasion, not knowing much about it other than some fuzzy video footage on the TV news and a brief report
Still no mention of the incident on the BBC news website.
Expatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28th 2017, 10:39 am   #22
BE Forum Addict

Expatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond repute

Allegedly members of the same group kicked off at the airport.
Old Jun 28th 2017, 10:43 am   #23
Ingles Male
BE Forum Addict

Ingles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Allegedly members of the same group kicked off at the airport.
Yes, grainy photo in CDM appears to show 2 "young ladies" going at it hammer & tong's.

"peterfc" will supply much more info

Oh! p.s. +/- another 1.000 off "Invasion Portugal" participants are expected to arrive over the next few day's !

Last edited by Ingles; Jun 28th 2017 at 10:50 am. Reason: comment added
Ingles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28th 2017, 10:46 am   #24
BE Enthusiast

peterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingles View Post
Yes, grainy photo in CDM appears to show 2 "young ladies" going at it hammer & tong's.

"peterfc" will supply much more info
What's your problem?????
peterfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28th 2017, 12:04 pm   #25
Ingles Male
BE Forum Addict

Ingles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterfc View Post
What's your problem?????
Just this time I will take the time to reply!!!

On another thread on this site YOU openly posted a very strong & utterly derogatory personal insult against myself.

If I had done the same , you & your mate would be calling on the Moderator to get me banned, this seems to be a pattern you 2 have adopted, if other posters fail to agree with you !
I appealed to the Rosemary to have it removed & it was done so, only for YOU straight away to post a reply to myself that Rosemary again promptly removed as being "Incite full & Unnecessary"

And your asking "What's your problem"

I have no intension off starting a war, I just want to set the record straight !!!
End of story as far as I'm concerned
Old Jun 28th 2017, 12:34 pm   #26

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

I am not prepared to name names but you will know who I am referring to. It is now time to pull your necks in and back away from each others posts or there will be a nice little holiday on offer.

Rosemary

Beware of false knowledge. It is more dangerous than ignorance. George Bernard Shaw

Be thankful for the difficult people in your life, for they have shown you exactly who you do not want to be.
Rosemary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28th 2017, 12:47 pm   #27
Forum Regular

barlaventoexpert has a brilliant futurebarlaventoexpert has a brilliant futurebarlaventoexpert has a brilliant futurebarlaventoexpert has a brilliant futurebarlaventoexpert has a brilliant futurebarlaventoexpert has a brilliant futurebarlaventoexpert has a brilliant futurebarlaventoexpert has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingles View Post
Makes me ashamed

Portugal
]
I've been ashamed for years!

Every time there is a report on trouble on a Squeazyjet or Ryanair flight out of the UK, I cringe! They are not the only ones, but 90% of incidents originate from the UK!

Hopefully another year & I can get me PT nationality.

No nation is perfect but since the '80's the UK has been on a downward economic, social and political path which has given rise to the current Brexit-infused environment in the UK.

Hope Post-Brexit EU/Schengen nations start to require pre-trip electronic clearance for UK nationals at a price high enough (£25 person?) to start to deter some of these idiots!
barlaventoexpert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28th 2017, 12:53 pm   #28
BE Forum Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by barlaventoexpert View Post

Every time there is a report on trouble on a Squeazyjet or Ryanair flight out of the UK, I cringe! They are not the only ones, but 90% of incidents originate from the UK!

No nation is perfect but since the '80's the UK has been on a downward economic, social and political path which has given rise to the current Brexit-infused environment in the UK.

Hope Post-Brexit EU/Schengen nations start to require pre-trip electronic clearance for UK nationals at a price high enough (£25 person?) to start to deter some of these idiots!
A Brexit positive, well done! Maybe you want to post this on that thread!
Old Jun 28th 2017, 1:19 pm   #29
Forum Regular

barlaventoexpert has a brilliant futurebarlaventoexpert has a brilliant futurebarlaventoexpert has a brilliant futurebarlaventoexpert has a brilliant futurebarlaventoexpert has a brilliant futurebarlaventoexpert has a brilliant futurebarlaventoexpert has a brilliant futurebarlaventoexpert has a brilliant future

Quote:
A Brexit positive, well done! Maybe you want to post this on that thread!
barlaventoexpert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28th 2017, 1:30 pm   #30
Rather sunburnt

Quote:
Originally Posted by barlaventoexpert View Post

Does that get rid of all the shame?

I'd have thought that at best it would only reduce it by half, unless you also renounced your UK citizenship.

At worst, you might find yourself saddled with an additional burden of shame when Portuguese make nuisances of themselves.

Go Back   British Expats / Living & Moving Abroad / Europe / Portugal