Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

The embarrassment factor

The embarrassment factor

Old May 29th 2017, 8:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The embarrassment factor

Originally Posted by Ingles
Please do not despair , help is on it's way

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...ad-look-better
Oh I enjoyed that Ingles..and it is so true.

I have found to date that when we meet up with any Americans. we all end up laughing, because we are dodging Brexit, and they are hiding out from Trump
Old May 29th 2017, 9:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

carvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by article
Unless you happen to go somewhere brimming with expats, all British holidaymakers this summer can be expected to be treated with outright pity. We’ll be met with sad glances and bewilderment in lobbies and cafes, seen as the morons who willingly flung themselves into a threshing machine thanks to a displaced sense of global importance. We’ve become the village idiots of the world, seen as doltish and shortsighted and proud, and nobody can quite understand why the hell we’ve done this to ourselves.
From this article

great article - and one of the most meaningful Brexit lines of the year

think i'll get it as a tattoo -next time i visit Benidorm

Last edited by BEVS; May 30th 2017 at 10:40 am. Reason: Ok. I sorted this for the better but you chose to alter again. moved back. I'm done.
Old May 29th 2017, 9:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

carvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond repute

talking of embarassing Brits did anyone see that spineless idiot may on tonights interview with paxman
Her answer to every challenge about every piece of unsubstantiated drivel in their manifesto was - we intend discussing it later - not a single fact or figure of any kind to support a single thing they claim now - apalling
She actually laughed out loud when she agreed as home secretary she had missed every immigration target - but still said they'd leave it in the manifesto - seventh time lucky i don't think so
That aside she avoided every other question put to her - slime personified
The only positive statement was the old 'no deal is better than a bad deal' waffle -

< nopes nope and nope >

Last edited by BEVS; May 30th 2017 at 10:31 am. Reason: It is called incitment. It comes from both sides. Stop.
Old May 30th 2017, 10:06 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute

What - Benidorm?
Old May 30th 2017, 10:14 am
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Expatrick
What - Benidorm?
No - Brits!
Old Jul 22nd 2018, 6:26 am
Banned

007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute

Brit 'tourists' are off for the 2018 season ......
https://www.algarvedailynews.com/new...itish-tourists
This is one aspect of UK secession that can be welcomed. I'd hang signs saying NO BRITS
Old Jul 22nd 2018, 8:07 am
BE Enthusiast

barlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AliceCaroline
I'm not defending the Brits when I say this but my Portuguese language teacher says that the French are by far the rudest tourists. Just her opinion of course
I have heard this as well from several local Portuguese sources.

In fact, I had to intervene in a very a very fractious situation in the NOS shop in Lagos last year.

I walked in and a very aggressive Frenchman / wife were giving what-for to the poor assistant (who spoke English but no Portuguese) who was trying to say to him "let me get a colleague in Lisbon who speaks French, on the phone now to help you."

As it got close to explosion time, I turned to the couple in question and asked them, in French, what the problem was.

Suddenly, everything in the shop stopped.

An Inglês who speaks Portuguese AND French!

Turned out they had ordered a Satellite package for their apartment in a closed condominium.

As they vented, I spoke to the NOS guy and got his side of the story.

Turned out that, When the installation technician turned up, the security guard had refused to let him in because the couple did not have authorisation from their condominium to mount an external satellite dish.

As I transmitted this info, the wife looked like she wanted to disappear into the ground.

The gentleman, in question, continued to be a bit aggressive saying that it was NOS responsibility to get approval from the condominium.

I put him right in short order about his duties & rights as an owner in a condominium and then sent them on their way.

Big sigh of relief from all in shop!

Not very pleasant but I have heard similiar stories about French folk from estate agents up here north of Lisbon where we now live.

Nonetheless, us Brits continue to dominate the headlines across Europe & elsewhere about aggressive boozy & uncivil behavour.
Old Jul 22nd 2018, 8:54 am
BE Enthusiast

toots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond repute

Last New Years Eve myself and my OH had booked what we hoped would be a lovely meal surrounded by locals enjoying the evening in a local restaurant.(Silver coast).
We arrived at 8pm to find it full to the brim with Brits and a Dutch couple who we were seated by on the next table.
As the evening wore on the level of noise increased to such an extent that it was impossible to hold a conversation and we both felt very uncomfortable as were the Dutch couple nearby who were shaking their heads in disbelief.
Our countrymen I'm afraid to say yet again made me feel embarrassed to be British .They were walking around taking photos of everyone(not even on their table),bellowing at the top of their voices at tables in another part of the restaurant.
It also ..... me off when they are so smug when speaking to the serving staff regarding wines etc which they probably know nothing about.
These were not teenagers letting off steam,but middle aged men and women.
In the end we left early,before midnight, along with the Dutch couple, and spent midnight outside with the Portuguese who were having a great time without the need to get themselves boozed up for the occasion.
Their behaviour spoilt the evening so much that we have decided never to spend new years eve out again.
The food though was excellent, and the restaurant owners had the patience of saints.
Old Jul 26th 2018, 11:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

chislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond repute

To be fair you can't pigeon hole an entire race based on a proportion of the population. Recently in Cabanas several ex pats and uk holiday makers have been subjected to personal attacks and muggings by locals. Should we therefore all be under the impression that all Portuguese people are muggers?
Old Jul 27th 2018, 5:23 pm
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chislenko
To be fair you can't pigeon hole an entire race based on a proportion of the population. Recently in Cabanas several ex pats and uk holiday makers have been subjected to personal attacks and muggings by locals. Should we therefore all be under the impression that all Portuguese people are muggers?
Several , just how many, , facts not rumours please..
Old Jul 27th 2018, 10:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

chislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EMR
Several , just how many, , facts not rumours please..
Seven confirmed and reported to authorities. One lady hospitalised. You can read her letter in the Portugal Newspaper.
Old Jul 28th 2018, 8:25 am
Forum Regular

sidgold has a reputation beyond reputesidgold has a reputation beyond reputesidgold has a reputation beyond reputesidgold has a reputation beyond reputesidgold has a reputation beyond reputesidgold has a reputation beyond reputesidgold has a reputation beyond reputesidgold has a reputation beyond reputesidgold has a reputation beyond reputesidgold has a reputation beyond reputesidgold has a reputation beyond repute

Bad behaviour is bad behaviour regardless of what nationality is involved. Lets face it there are rude inconsiderate people in every country but there are also "thank god" wonderful individuals that you meet on your travels every day. Let's give a mention to the good guys!
Old Aug 3rd 2018, 9:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Ingles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond repute

Hell's teeth !
Briton ‘identified by police for beating wife in front of toddler son’ while on holiday in Albufeira - The Portugal News
Old Aug 3rd 2018, 11:40 am
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

Sadly Nothing unusual about that at all, would the Portugal News, Resident report the abuse that goes on across the country within the Portuguese society.., is it only Brits who get drunk and into arguments with their wives...
Still it helps fill the paper.
Old Aug 6th 2018, 7:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sidgold
Bad behaviour is bad behaviour regardless of what nationality is involved. Lets face it there are rude inconsiderate people in every country but there are also "thank god" wonderful individuals that you meet on your travels every day. Let's give a mention to the good guys!

It was a post about bad behaviour from British citizens ,and what we would personally do about it ,if we were confronted with it.Or how we might suggest tackling it in the future.

However ,you are right. I am proud of the way so many of my fellow British ex-pats have behaved in regard to helping the worse off Portuguese people. Whether it be in giving to the charity shops, the dogs homes. or to the Bombeiros. This latter group has been helped enormously over the yrs, mainly by the British contributions. Some of our 'British paid for' Fire engines ,ambulances, and defibrillators are up there on the Monchique mountain as I type. Lets all be thankful then to those of us who give ,rather than take . Those of us who help rather than hinder. Lets also think about those 'Good Men' up there fighting to save lives and homes for us.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.