Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

The embarrassment factor

The embarrassment factor

Old May 22nd 2017, 7:38 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The embarrassment factor

My observation (on the ground)

Hope the Brit women weren't wearing skirts!

You make some very good points. Interesting discussion
Old May 22nd 2017, 9:02 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Expatrick
& for something slightly different -

Egy
Kettö
Harom
Hungarian, like Basque(bat, bi, hiru) and Finnish (yksi, kaksi, kolme), seem to have been brought to Europe from another planet (by the Moomins in Finland's case!).

Köszönöm/eskerrak/Kiitän sinua..... Go raibh mhaith agut.
Old May 22nd 2017, 9:04 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
My observation (on the ground)

Hope the Brit women weren't wearing skirts!

You make some very good points. Interesting discussion
Trained in stats, worked with stats, don't believe 'em!
Old May 22nd 2017, 9:26 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by macliam
Hungarian, like Basque(bat, bi, hiru) and Finnish (yksi, kaksi, kolme), seem to have been brought to Europe from another planet (by the Moomins in Finland's case!).

Szívesen!
Old May 24th 2017, 7:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by macliam

My sister-in law is Finnish.. Well Swedish/German actually from her ancestry. Wasn't there a program on the Finns being unconnected with any other race on earth.? ditto their language?. They are also the most incestuous nation on earth.
Old May 24th 2017, 8:27 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GeniB
My sister-in law is Finnish.. Well Swedish/German actually from her ancestry. Wasn't there a program on the Finns being unconnected with any other race on earth.? ditto their language?. They are also the most incestuous nation on earth.
My understanding is that the Finns & Magyars both came out of the east together then split, 1 group going north the other west, to the Carpathians. Neither group is ethnically or linguistically related to any other European race. As for incestuous, I couldn't possibly comment!
Old May 24th 2017, 4:36 pm
Banned

007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute

In my 25 years experience of Brits Abroad, this is becoming a genuine problem - starting at the airports, onto the flights, & at the car rental staff on arrival.
Watch the scenes at Luton / Stansted as typical. So, they wanted out of European Human Rights protection????? - They've got it!!
How about.....
1. All Brits to sit an IQ (or GCSE level) behavioural test when booking online, or exiting the UK (after check-in but before security). Scores under 50 = no travel.

2. Every individual adult Brit to lodge a cash deposit of €2,500 on arrival at the area local police station - refundable ONLY on return to the UK via an HMRC application with all travel data. That'll stop a few people who live in the cash economy.

2. Packs of Brits not to exceed 3 in any public venue - golf resorts included.

3. Brits to lose all signals to their mobiles, tablets, etc. on arrival, plus no access to Brit media during their stay.

4. In cases of unacceptable behaviour, the Brit/s are immediately deported or made them wear a Donald Trump mask for the rest of their stay. (Shame is the best weapon)

I wanted to be Home Secretary - but they wouldn't let me.... [
Old May 24th 2017, 5:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

carvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 007Steve
In my 25 years experience of Brits Abroad, this is becoming a genuine problem - starting at the airports, onto the flights, & at the car rental staff on arrival.
Watch the scenes at Luton / Stansted as typical. So, they wanted out of European Human Rights protection????? - They've got it!!
How about.....
1. All Brits to sit an IQ (or GCSE level) behavioural test when booking online, or exiting the UK (after check-in but before security). Scores under 50 = no travel.

2. Every individual adult Brit to lodge a cash deposit of €2,500 on arrival at the area local police station - refundable ONLY on return to the UK via an HMRC application with all travel data. That'll stop a few people who live in the cash economy.

2. Packs of Brits not to exceed 3 in any public venue - golf resorts included.

3. Brits to lose all signals to their mobiles, tablets, etc. on arrival, plus no access to Brit media during their stay.

4. In cases of unacceptable behaviour, the Brit/s are immediately deported or made them wear a Donald Trump mask for the rest of their stay. (Shame is the best weapon)

I wanted to be Home Secretary - but they wouldn't let me.... [
pansy liberal

Last edited by Rosemary; May 24th 2017 at 7:15 pm.
Old May 27th 2017, 9:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Sunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really nice

We have been coming here since 1984, bought our first place in 1988 and moved here permanently in 2001. During this period I can remember two outstanding incidents.

The first was in Carvoeiro where a couple ordered fish and chips and when the waiter brought them fresh grilled fish and chips I have never heard such in my life as the man ranted that he ordered fish and chips and could the waiter not understand English whilst the poor waiter was positively confused and was telling the man it was fish and chips ... but to no avail as the couple upped and left without paying.

The second incident was in Albufeira where at 12.45pm we encountered 10 to 12 loud, obnoxious, drunk, tattooed all over men (guesstimate age 25-30). At about 1.30 a few decided to go to bed to sober up for the next round whilst the others continued to order more drink and disrupt other patrons lunch whilst one of them vomited all over the place,

In both incidents they were sadly British.
Old May 27th 2017, 9:14 am
Account Closed

One of my funniest was in a very nice restaurant in Malta when a party of six Brits asked the waitress to explain the menu. She had barely started when one of them said "OK, that's enough of that, we'll have 6 prawn cocktails & 6 rump steaks, well done".
Old May 27th 2017, 9:16 am
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sunseeker1st
We have been coming here since 1984, bought our first place in 1988 and moved here permanently in 2001. During this period I can remember two outstanding incidents.

The first was in Carvoeiro where a couple ordered fish and chips and when the waiter brought them fresh grilled fish and chips I have never heard such in my life as the man ranted that he ordered fish and chips and could the waiter not understand English whilst the poor waiter was positively confused and was telling the man it was fish and chips ... but to no avail as the couple upped and left without paying.

The second incident was in Albufeira where at 12.45pm we encountered 10 to 12 loud, obnoxious, drunk, tattooed all over men (guesstimate age 25-30). At about 1.30 a few decided to go to bed to sober up for the next round whilst the others continued to order more drink and disrupt other patrons lunch whilst one of them vomited all over the place,

In both incidents they were sadly British.
What made me cringe were events when the Overseas British store opened near Albufeira.
For months there was a lot of hype and anticipation on the various forums.
There were queues of Brits on opening day, one woman was heard to shout out in delight " they have got Chicken Kiev ".
When a few months later it fell foul of the Portuguese regulations and was closed down the forums were full of posts from indignant Brits, how dare they, it's our store not theirs etc etc.
We are a strange breed with an unhealthy addiction to alcohol when on holiday and who have never really understood that we have left the UK.
Old May 27th 2017, 9:34 am
BE Enthusiast

Sunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really nice

Ooh, thanks for reminding me EMR, must pop in Overseas/Iceland for some Bovril and Branston Pickle and real Worcestershire Sauce for hubby who is American ... there are a few Brit things that are near necessities! I understand a second one is about to open in Portimão.
Old May 29th 2017, 1:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ingles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GeniB
I'm talking about being a Brit in Portugal when other Brits behave in an appalling manner

Went to one of our favourite little restaurants last night. It overlooks a now very famous beach. (made even more famous now by that 'blasted' TA site)

Our lovely waiter was a bit 'off' with us at the beginning of the evening,but eventually told us why. He had been subjected to abuse from a group of English men who had eaten there the night before. They had simple drunk themselves into the by now familiar loud 'stupor' our countrymen are sadly known for.. but not usually in our town.
He was embarrassed as he had had to ask them to 'take it outside' as they were upsetting other diners,some of whom had children with them.He didn't say what they had called him...but we could guess

We felt we had to apologise to him on behalf of our countrymen..but it made me seeth with anger that it should be necessary. I found I was grinding my teeth and wishing I had been there to give them a piece of my mind...
I know I would have done... but would it have been wise? Would you have intervened if you had been there?
All this publicity for our lovely Portugal is wonderful,but not if it brings 'yobs' like this to our beautiful shores. I am still upset by it
Please do not despair , help is on it's way

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...ad-look-better
Old May 29th 2017, 1:56 pm
Account Closed

The most embarrassing thing is being taken for a British tourist!
Old May 29th 2017, 8:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Expatrick
One of my funniest was in a very nice restaurant in Malta when a party of six Brits asked the waitress to explain the menu. She had barely started when one of them said "OK, that's enough of that, we'll have 6 prawn cocktails & 6 rump steaks, well done".
I bet that was my brother. he lives there. married to a Finn he won't learn a word of either language..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.