Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Elvas, Beja, Serpa, Mertola, Silves

Elvas, Beja, Serpa, Mertola, Silves

Old Oct 2nd 2017, 10:41 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Elvas, Beja, Serpa, Mertola, Silves

Standing at the Cape of St Vincent, having thought about Rodney (was it Rodney ?), I shall recite Robert Browning "Nobly, nobly Cape Saint Vincent to the North-West died away".
Admiral John Jervis.
Old Oct 2nd 2017, 4:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to all

Thanks very much. You're a very knowledgeable lot.

I don't think I'd heard of the great siege of Cadiz till now, which is odd. I was there a couple of years ago - there's an plaque high on the wall facing the cathedral door, commemorating what the townspeople did for the wounded of both sides brought there after Trafalgar - but I didn't hear or read anything about the siege.

Yes, I remember now. You're right. It was Jervis who was in command at the Battle of Cape St Vincent. The one I was thinking of anyway. It transpires that there was another Battle of Cape St Vincent, though, and in that one Rodney was in command. I was confusing the two.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle...Vincent_(1780)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle...Vincent_(1797)
Old Oct 2nd 2017, 5:40 pm
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sancho
Thanks very much. You're a very knowledgeable lot.

I don't think I'd heard of the great siege of Cadiz till now, which is odd. I was there a couple of years ago - there's an plaque high on the wall facing the cathedral door, commemorating what the townspeople did for the wounded of both sides brought there after Trafalgar - but I didn't hear or read anything about the siege.

Yes, I remember now. You're right. It was Jervis who was in command at the Battle of Cape St Vincent. The one I was thinking of anyway. It transpires that there was another Battle of Cape St Vincent, though, and in that one Rodney was in command. I was confusing the two.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle...Vincent_(1780)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle...Vincent_(1797)
I am a fan of the Sharpe novels based mainly in the Peninsula.
Their historical accuracy is one reason why they are best sellers.
The chef Rick Stein in his travels around Spain also made reference to the siege of Cadiz in his program from there.
Old Oct 5th 2017, 8:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to all

Originally Posted by EMR
The French were held up at Cadiz by an extended siege ,the South of Portugal , the Algarve probably had no strategic value.
I was just looking for an atlas of the Napoleonic wars and I found this. Do you know it ?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Battle-Barr...apoleonic+wars
Old Oct 5th 2017, 8:18 pm
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

I was just looking for an atlas of the Napoleonic wars and I found this. Do you know it ?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Battle-Barr...apoleonic+wars
Yes it is featured in one of the Sharpe novels.
Old Oct 6th 2017, 5:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by EMR
Yes it is featured in one of the Sharpe novels.
Thanks very much. I've just ordered a copy.

I've also - thanks again to you - ordered a nearly complete series of DVDs of Sharpe's Rifles. (There are apparently two I'll have to buy separately.) I'd already got them on my wish-list, but I hadn't realised that most are about the Peninsular War. It'll make the trip more interesting.

The author of the OUP Very Short Introduction thinks we could see the Napoleonic Wars as the first world war. I'm looking for an atlas that reflects this, showing what happened in India and on the far side of the Atlantic as well as in Europe, but so far without success. Do you happen to know of one ?

I've seen the battlefields of Salamanca and Talavera, and this time I'll be seeing Badajoz and Albuera. The retired colonel with purple trousers that showed us round Stratfield Saye said he thought the most interesting one was Vitoria. I wonder if you've seen it, and if so whether you agree.
Old Oct 6th 2017, 8:05 am
EMR
Banned

Thanks very much. I've just ordered a copy.

I've also - thanks again to you - ordered a nearly complete series of DVDs of Sharpe's Rifles. (There are apparently two I'll have to buy separately.) I'd already got them on my wish-list, but I hadn't realised that most are about the Peninsular War. It'll make the trip more interesting.

The author of the OUP Very Short Introduction thinks we could see the Napoleonic Wars as the first world war. I'm looking for an atlas that reflects this, showing what happened in India and on the far side of the Atlantic as well as in Europe, but so far without success. Do you happen to know of one ?

I've seen the battlefields of Salamanca and Talavera, and this time I'll be seeing Badajoz and Albuera. The retired colonel with purple trousers that showed us round Stratfield Saye said he thought the most interesting one was Vitoria. I wonder if you've seen it, and if so whether you agree.
I have not visited the battlefields.
It has always interested me that as in the case of Cadiz the focus has always been on Wellington and that the actions of the other British forces, the Spanish armies and the Portuguese have been underestimated and to a degree ignored.
Spain equalled Russia as Napoleans biggest strategic mistakes.
It was for years an open sore consuming 100,000s of his best troops.
His most famous marshals all failed in the Peninsula.
Old Oct 13th 2017, 6:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Interesting thing in the Mail today, but perhaps you've already seen it -

Brexit's giving Spain fresh hope of seizing Gibraltar | Daily Mail Online