Go Back   British Expats / Living & Moving Abroad / Europe / Portugal

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old Oct 2nd 2017, 10:41 am   #16
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Mar 2017
Location: Buda
Posts: 874
Expatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Elvas, Beja, Serpa, Mertola, Silves

Quote:
Standing at the Cape of St Vincent, having thought about Rodney (was it Rodney ?), I shall recite Robert Browning "Nobly, nobly Cape Saint Vincent to the North-West died away".
Admiral John Jervis.
Expatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2nd 2017, 4:00 pm   #17
Sancho 
BE Enthusiast
 
Sancho's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: Here
Posts: 598
Sancho has a brilliant futureSancho has a brilliant futureSancho has a brilliant futureSancho has a brilliant futureSancho has a brilliant futureSancho has a brilliant futureSancho has a brilliant future
Default Re: Elvas, Beja, Serpa, Mertola, Silves

Thanks very much. You're a very knowledgeable lot.

I don't think I'd heard of the great siege of Cadiz till now, which is odd. I was there a couple of years ago - there's an plaque high on the wall facing the cathedral door, commemorating what the townspeople did for the wounded of both sides brought there after Trafalgar - but I didn't hear or read anything about the siege.

Yes, I remember now. You're right. It was Jervis who was in command at the Battle of Cape St Vincent. The one I was thinking of anyway. It transpires that there was another Battle of Cape St Vincent, though, and in that one Rodney was in command. I was confusing the two.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle...Vincent_(1780)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle...Vincent_(1797)
Sancho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2nd 2017, 5:40 pm   #18
EMR 
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 18,009
EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Elvas, Beja, Serpa, Mertola, Silves

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sancho View Post
Thanks very much. You're a very knowledgeable lot.

I don't think I'd heard of the great siege of Cadiz till now, which is odd. I was there a couple of years ago - there's an plaque high on the wall facing the cathedral door, commemorating what the townspeople did for the wounded of both sides brought there after Trafalgar - but I didn't hear or read anything about the siege.

Yes, I remember now. You're right. It was Jervis who was in command at the Battle of Cape St Vincent. The one I was thinking of anyway. It transpires that there was another Battle of Cape St Vincent, though, and in that one Rodney was in command. I was confusing the two.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle...Vincent_(1780)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle...Vincent_(1797)
I am a fan of the Sharpe novels based mainly in the Peninsula.
Their historical accuracy is one reason why they are best sellers.
The chef Rick Stein in his travels around Spain also made reference to the siege of Cadiz in his program from there.
EMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5th 2017, 8:08 pm   #19
Sancho 
BE Enthusiast
 
Sancho's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: Here
Posts: 598
Sancho has a brilliant futureSancho has a brilliant futureSancho has a brilliant futureSancho has a brilliant futureSancho has a brilliant futureSancho has a brilliant futureSancho has a brilliant future
Default Re: Elvas, Beja, Serpa, Mertola, Silves

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMR View Post
The French were held up at Cadiz by an extended siege ,the South of Portugal , the Algarve probably had no strategic value.
I was just looking for an atlas of the Napoleonic wars and I found this. Do you know it ?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Battle-Barr...apoleonic+wars
Sancho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5th 2017, 8:18 pm   #20
EMR 
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 18,009
EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Elvas, Beja, Serpa, Mertola, Silves

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sancho View Post
I was just looking for an atlas of the Napoleonic wars and I found this. Do you know it ?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Battle-Barr...apoleonic+wars
Yes it is featured in one of the Sharpe novels.
EMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6th 2017, 5:27 am   #21
Sancho 
BE Enthusiast
 
Sancho's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: Here
Posts: 598
Sancho has a brilliant futureSancho has a brilliant futureSancho has a brilliant futureSancho has a brilliant futureSancho has a brilliant futureSancho has a brilliant futureSancho has a brilliant future
Default Re: Elvas, Beja, Serpa, Mertola, Silves

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMR View Post
Yes it is featured in one of the Sharpe novels.
Thanks very much. I've just ordered a copy.

I've also - thanks again to you - ordered a nearly complete series of DVDs of Sharpe's Rifles. (There are apparently two I'll have to buy separately.) I'd already got them on my wish-list, but I hadn't realised that most are about the Peninsular War. It'll make the trip more interesting.

The author of the OUP Very Short Introduction thinks we could see the Napoleonic Wars as the first world war. I'm looking for an atlas that reflects this, showing what happened in India and on the far side of the Atlantic as well as in Europe, but so far without success. Do you happen to know of one ?

I've seen the battlefields of Salamanca and Talavera, and this time I'll be seeing Badajoz and Albuera. The retired colonel with purple trousers that showed us round Stratfield Saye said he thought the most interesting one was Vitoria. I wonder if you've seen it, and if so whether you agree.
Sancho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6th 2017, 8:05 am   #22
EMR 
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 18,009
EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Elvas, Beja, Serpa, Mertola, Silves

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sancho View Post
Thanks very much. I've just ordered a copy.

I've also - thanks again to you - ordered a nearly complete series of DVDs of Sharpe's Rifles. (There are apparently two I'll have to buy separately.) I'd already got them on my wish-list, but I hadn't realised that most are about the Peninsular War. It'll make the trip more interesting.

The author of the OUP Very Short Introduction thinks we could see the Napoleonic Wars as the first world war. I'm looking for an atlas that reflects this, showing what happened in India and on the far side of the Atlantic as well as in Europe, but so far without success. Do you happen to know of one ?

I've seen the battlefields of Salamanca and Talavera, and this time I'll be seeing Badajoz and Albuera. The retired colonel with purple trousers that showed us round Stratfield Saye said he thought the most interesting one was Vitoria. I wonder if you've seen it, and if so whether you agree.
I have not visited the battlefields.
It has always interested me that as in the case of Cadiz the focus has always been on Wellington and that the actions of the other British forces, the Spanish armies and the Portuguese have been underestimated and to a degree ignored.
Spain equalled Russia as Napoleans biggest strategic mistakes.
It was for years an open sore consuming 100,000s of his best troops.
His most famous marshals all failed in the Peninsula.
EMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13th 2017, 6:32 am   #23
Sancho 
BE Enthusiast
 
Sancho's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: Here
Posts: 598
Sancho has a brilliant futureSancho has a brilliant futureSancho has a brilliant futureSancho has a brilliant futureSancho has a brilliant futureSancho has a brilliant futureSancho has a brilliant future
Default Re: Elvas, Beja, Serpa, Mertola, Silves

Interesting thing in the Mail today, but perhaps you've already seen it -

Brexit's giving Spain fresh hope of seizing Gibraltar | Daily Mail Online
Sancho is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   British Expats / Living & Moving Abroad / Europe / Portugal


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT. The time now is 3:35 am.


Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 1999-2010 BritishExpats.com