Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Electronic gate key cloning

Electronic gate key cloning

Old Feb 6th 2018, 4:05 pm
Forum Regular

aport is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Electronic gate key cloning

Does anyone know of a place in the Algarve where I can get copies made of the remote control for our electric gate?
Old Feb 6th 2018, 4:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to all
Default Re: Electronic gate key cloning

Originally Posted by aport
Does anyone know of a place in the Algarve where I can get copies made of the remote control for our electric gate?
The shoe repair shop in Tavira Gran Plaza. Not all remotes are ‘clonable’ though. Best to take yours in and show him. I had some spares from old gates which luckily worked. Charged me €10 each. New remotes are quite pricey, €30 to €50 each depending on make. Can you ask the gate supplier to give a price for spares?
Old Feb 6th 2018, 4:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to all

Just spotted you’re in Silves so Tavira’s not much use to you. Try asking at shoe repair shops, the ones in supermarket complexes sometimes do them as a sideline.
Old Feb 6th 2018, 4:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute

There is a great electrician in Praceta Eng.José Herculano Brito de Carvalho, small street just up from roundabout by the Fire Brigade in Tavira. he fixes everything - Tvs, laptops, A/C controls etc etc etc
Old Feb 6th 2018, 5:00 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you. We are just about to buy the property and so don't know the manufacturer but will give the Tavira place a try.
Old Feb 6th 2018, 5:01 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for the advice.
Old Feb 7th 2018, 11:37 am
Forum Regular

Ajmandon is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, first post here so be kind!
Have been through this same situation recently having never had automatic gates/garage doors before!......
1- You really need to know the manufacturer and whether your system is using a "fixed code" or "rolling code". Rolling codes are much more secure specifically because they are more difficult/impossible to clone.
fixed codes are generally clonable but you will need a remote of the same frequency and be aware that some manufacturers use a system of "country or region codes" ....... shouldn't be a problem if you buy in Portugal for a Portuguese system.
2- If rolling code then (in my experience with BFT / Ditec / V2 Elletronica systems) it is not possible to clone from one remote to another ..... lesson perhaps is also don't buy cheap "Chinese" chrome button remotes!. Also some manufacturers' genuine remotes ARE region coded so you may find a genuine UK remote will not work with a Portuguese receiver. I've successfully programmed several new HR branded rolling code remotes bought off fleabay (~20GBP) for my systems.....following the (simple) programing procedure for each type of receiver found using Google.

Good Luck
Old Feb 7th 2018, 11:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ajmandon
Hi, first post here so be kind!
Have been through this same situation recently having never had automatic gates/garage doors before!......
1- You really need to know the manufacturer and whether your system is using a "fixed code" or "rolling code". Rolling codes are much more secure specifically because they are more difficult/impossible to clone.
fixed codes are generally clonable but you will need a remote of the same frequency and be aware that some manufacturers use a system of "country or region codes" ....... shouldn't be a problem if you buy in Portugal for a Portuguese system.
2- If rolling code then (in my experience with BFT / Ditec / V2 Elletronica systems) it is not possible to clone from one remote to another ..... lesson perhaps is also don't buy cheap "Chinese" chrome button remotes!. Also some manufacturers' genuine remotes ARE region coded so you may find a genuine UK remote will not work with a Portuguese receiver. I've successfully programmed several new HR branded rolling code remotes bought off fleabay (~20GBP) for my systems.....following the (simple) programing procedure for each type of receiver found using Google.

Good Luck
Older garage remotes actually have a very simply system of "pins", when opened up you can see normally four white rectangular pins and to program another one of the same vintage is just a case of matching up the pins.
Old Feb 7th 2018, 8:25 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for that, it's all useful advice. I didn't realise there would be so many different variations. Will have to wait to see what type we've got when we get there.