Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

EDP disconnection charge

EDP disconnection charge

Old Jan 18th 2018, 9:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

chislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: EDP disconnection charge

The ones in UK work off mobile phone signal, we couldn't have one as we live in an area with little or no mobile coverage.
Old Jan 19th 2018, 7:21 am
Forum Regular

robcarolyn has a reputation beyond reputerobcarolyn has a reputation beyond reputerobcarolyn has a reputation beyond reputerobcarolyn has a reputation beyond reputerobcarolyn has a reputation beyond reputerobcarolyn has a reputation beyond reputerobcarolyn has a reputation beyond reputerobcarolyn has a reputation beyond reputerobcarolyn has a reputation beyond reputerobcarolyn has a reputation beyond reputerobcarolyn has a reputation beyond repute

Trying to communicate with EDP is the problem. I assume they cannot speak English, nobody in our village does, and the free 800 number would not be free from England. Why can I not speak to them through EDP online? Am I missing something?
Old Jan 19th 2018, 8:22 am
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robcarolyn
Trying to communicate with EDP is the problem. I assume they cannot speak English, nobody in our village does, and the free 800 number would not be free from England. Why can I not speak to them through EDP online? Am I missing something?
When I called EDP with a similar issue I had no problem with the Language.
You will be put through to an English speaker.
The issue was resolved quickly and any problems averted.
Old Jan 19th 2018, 8:31 am
Forum Regular

robcarolyn has a reputation beyond reputerobcarolyn has a reputation beyond reputerobcarolyn has a reputation beyond reputerobcarolyn has a reputation beyond reputerobcarolyn has a reputation beyond reputerobcarolyn has a reputation beyond reputerobcarolyn has a reputation beyond reputerobcarolyn has a reputation beyond reputerobcarolyn has a reputation beyond reputerobcarolyn has a reputation beyond reputerobcarolyn has a reputation beyond repute

That is interesting thanks. A call from the UK would be very expensive though it could be worth it.
Old Jan 19th 2018, 9:01 am
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

That is interesting thanks. A call from the UK would be very expensive though it could be worth it.
Not necessarily - there are VoIP-based providers to landlines who charge 1p a minute or less (just be careful with any local access number costs, choose one which is included in your phone or mobile package). Have a look at https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/ph...eas-calls#voip.

I used to use these all the time (and still have credit with DialNow), but I haven't done so for the past couple of years - so maybe someone can recommend you the best deal - ideally one where you don't have to pay much upfront for credit you may not need.
Old Jan 19th 2018, 9:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Ingles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RichardHenshall
You seem relaxed about the possibility of disconnection which leads me to assume you are not running important appliances (freezer, pool pumps etc) when you're not there. If so, why not submit your own reading when you leave and re-submit the same numbers (via EDP Online) every so often at the appropriate time until you return and then repeat until they can make their own reading? At least they'll have readings recorded rather than blanks.

Out of curiosity, where do they disconnect you if they can't access the meter?

They just disconnect the feed wires on the nearest pole to the building
Old Feb 6th 2018, 1:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

AliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond repute

You could try to request a new smart meter that submits its own monthly readings automatically.
We had a Smart Meter fitted in December. Great we thought, no meter readings needed. Then we got our first bill and it's estimated.

Odd.

Anyway I'm now trying to work out how to enter my own readings online. We are on the Simples contract but there are still 3 readings on the meter.

18.1, 18.2 and 18.3. On my first bill they are called Vazio, Ponta and Cheias.
How am I meant to know which number corresponds to which name?
I've searched through their online site but couldn't find an answer.
You'd think they would be in order, but that wasn't the case for my British meter so I don't want to assume anything.
I guess I could wait for the first actual reading then it may become obvious which is which.
Old Feb 6th 2018, 2:05 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by AliceCaroline
We had a Smart Meter fitted in December. Great we thought, no meter readings needed. Then we got our first bill and it's estimated.

Odd.

Anyway I'm now trying to work out how to enter my own readings online. We are on the Simples contract but there are still 3 readings on the meter.

18.1, 18.2 and 18.3. On my first bill they are called Vazio, Ponta and Cheias.
How am I meant to know which number corresponds to which name?
I've searched through their online site but couldn't find an answer.
You'd think they would be in order, but that wasn't the case for my British meter so I don't want to assume anything.
I guess I could wait for the first actual reading then it may become obvious which is which.
What I am trying to figure out is do you need an internet connection for a smart meter as we are not on the internet in Portugal. Also how on earth can you request one in the first place? I submit my readings online at the moment but the rest of the EDP site might as well be in Martian!
Old Feb 6th 2018, 2:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

RichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond repute

There are pages on EDP's sites that give clues, such as here. However I find that the EDP Online site and its associated apps make tracking and entering meter readings etc much easier as it shows the previous readings for comparison.
Old Feb 6th 2018, 2:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

AliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think you need to be on the internet. The lads that installed my meter gave me a booklet about it and I'm sure it didn't mention anything about internet. Doubt our WiFi would reach to it anyway as we are in a block of 8 apartments and the meter is a fair way from our router.

I've spent a fair bit of time this afternoon trying to find this booklet. I google translated most of it at the time but now my bill has arrived I want another look.

Our Smart Meter doesn't seem to be very smart anyway since our bill was still estimated.
Old Feb 6th 2018, 2:28 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by AliceCaroline
I don't think you need to be on the internet. The lads that installed my meter gave me a booklet about it and I'm sure it didn't mention anything about internet. Doubt our WiFi would reach to it anyway as we are in a block of 8 apartments and the meter is a fair way from our router.

I've spent a fair bit of time this afternoon trying to find this booklet. I google translated most of it at the time but now my bill has arrived I want another look.

Our Smart Meter doesn't seem to be very smart anyway since our bill was still estimated.
We are out in the sticks and the smart meter probably hasn’t even been invented out here yet! Thanks for that anyway.
Old Feb 6th 2018, 2:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

There are pages on EDP's sites that give clues, such as here. However I find that the EDP Online site and its associated apps make tracking and entering meter readings etc much easier as it shows the previous readings for comparison.

I like the link to the various meters. Mine isn't on the list but if you search for the make Landis Gyr it brings one up, but unfortunately not my model. Looking at the others it does seem that the 3 values are in the correct order though.
I can't use previous values to help me as there is only the initial 0 values then their estimates that bare no relation to my actual figures.
Old Feb 6th 2018, 2:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

We are out in the sticks and the smart meter probably hasn’t even been invented out here yet! Thanks for that anyway.
I think they are meant to be rolling them out across the country. I've googled it and a lot of countries are committed to introducing them.
Old Feb 6th 2018, 2:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

RichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond repute

I've just checked. Our meter was changed on 17 May last year and the first automatic reading was logged on 7 July and on the 7th of every month since (except 11th September, which caused an estimated bill!?).
Old Feb 6th 2018, 3:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

I've just checked. Our meter was changed on 17 May last year and the first automatic reading was logged on 7 July and on the 7th of every month since (except 11th September, which caused an estimated bill!?).
Thanks for that Richard. I'll just be patient for a couple of months and wait to see if they start to become automated. At the moment it's an overestimate so we aren't getting behind with it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.