Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Easy Route through the Pyrenees?

Easy Route through the Pyrenees?

Old Oct 3rd 2017, 10:42 am
BE Enthusiast

Sancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to all
Default Re: Easy Route through the Pyrenees?

In Coimbra there's a fascinating baroque university library, with shelves made of a sort of insect-repellent tropical wood and holes in the ceiling to let in insect-eating bats. They cover up the books at night to protect them from bat-droppings.
Old Oct 3rd 2017, 11:47 am
BE Enthusiast

barlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond repute

Are you actually living & working in Coimbra?
Old Oct 3rd 2017, 1:05 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by barlaventoexpert
I believe Sancho lives in Italy.
Old Oct 4th 2017, 3:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Sancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to all

Originally Posted by barlaventoexpert
No, unfortunately. I've just been there (to give a talk), and it was only for a short time.

There's also a university prison at Coimbra, just next to the library, but it's not all that interesting. At least I didn't think so. And this wasn't the building where I imagined George Buchanan (Scot, Latinist, one of the most learned men of his generation, tutor to Montaigne) might have been incarcerated before his trial for heresy. That had clearly been an earlier building, and in any case I suppose it was only meant for students who had infringed university laws.

Buchanan was sentenced to spend some months in a monastery, where he had to endure endless boring sermons by ignorant monks. I could find no-one in Coimbra who'd ever heard of him, but you may be luckier. I mention these things partly because your name sounds Scottish too.

Last edited by Sancho; Oct 4th 2017 at 3:43 am.
Old Oct 4th 2017, 8:38 am
Forum Regular

callumalden is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Loafing Along
Yes you can pay a toll retrospectively . You can check everything on this site in english :
Home - Portal de Portagens
Brilliant, thanks kindly. I recall that we tried reading this site on a tiny phone screen at the border... with no shade in a new country... but got a bit lost. I will attempt to contact them. Thanks so much.