Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

DULUX paint versus CIN

DULUX paint versus CIN

Old Apr 21st 2013, 6:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

fergus is on a distinguished road
Default DULUX paint versus CIN

The cost of paint in Portugal is mind boggling. So I was interested to find out that a new shop has opened in Tavira that sells English paint, Dulux and so on.
Given the prices of CIN paint at Casa Ambaca and elsewhere I am very tempted to buy the cheaper, UK paints that have always been okay for the UK.
But I wonder, given the heat, the intensity of the sun, the humidity, the damp and so on that the paint is subjected to in the Algarve, perhaps the CIN paint costs more because it is designed for these conditions and therefore more expensive to make.
At the same time I am reminded of a recent report I read. It was on about premium fuels, such as BP Ultimate. The independent research concluded unequivocally that the premium fuel was no better for your car and fuel consumption was the same as standard fuel. In other words, the extra price is all about marketing, but actually the product is the same!
Does anyone have any thoughts on the UK paints and using them in Algarve. Has anyone used Dulux here in the Algarve?
Old Apr 21st 2013, 6:30 pm
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: DULUX paint versus CIN

I think that you have answered the question, we need to use paints formulated for the Portuguese climate, long hot summers with very high UV combined with sometimes very wet winters. Plus of course we want at least 5 years life.Our Portuguese neighbours had their villa painted with a more expensive acrylic base as this makes it easier to clean and should last longer.
Dulus are designed for the UK climate which can be very different.
Old Apr 21st 2013, 6:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

mfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond repute

I think you'll find the cheaper UK paint (including Dulux) won't be able to handle the very high UV here in Portugal.

I've seen several places that have used the Brit paints & it's completely burgered within 2 years or so.

But I agree. Portuguese paint is obscenely expensive.
Old Apr 21st 2013, 6:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

tombo is just really nicetombo is just really nicetombo is just really nicetombo is just really nicetombo is just really nicetombo is just really nicetombo is just really nicetombo is just really nice

So Dulux paints are exclusive to the UK and all they manufacture is geared to the UK climate.'? I think not.
They have other worldwide plants, producing paints for all climates.

www.dulux.com.au

If you want to buy CIN then pop over the border and buy from CIN Espana.
Sure to be cheaper.
Old Apr 21st 2013, 7:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

mfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tombo
So Dulux paints are exclusive to the UK and all they manufacture is geared to the UK climate.'? I think not.
They have other worldwide plants, producing paints for all climates.

www.dulux.com.au

If you want to buy CIN then pop over the border and buy from CIN Espana.
Sure to be cheaper.
I'd never have believed how the sun here can damage paint of all kinds.

It's done considerably more damage to the paintwork of my classic car in 18 months than the African sun did in more than 10 years.

Going to Spain might be a good idea though.
Old Apr 21st 2013, 7:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

I have used Dulux for years on my property in southern Spain and I am happy with the results, much better than the Spanish paints.
Old Apr 21st 2013, 7:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fred

Did you buy your Dulux paint in Spain or the UK?

I wonder if (assuming Dulux have manufacturing plants outside the UK?) different manufacturing plants might possibly use different additives to suit different local conditions.
Old Apr 21st 2013, 7:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

steppitoe is a glorious beacon of lightsteppitoe is a glorious beacon of lightsteppitoe is a glorious beacon of lightsteppitoe is a glorious beacon of lightsteppitoe is a glorious beacon of lightsteppitoe is a glorious beacon of lightsteppitoe is a glorious beacon of lightsteppitoe is a glorious beacon of lightsteppitoe is a glorious beacon of lightsteppitoe is a glorious beacon of lightsteppitoe is a glorious beacon of light

We used Weathershield on our house after pressure washing, filling and priming and it looks great two years on. Seems to depend on the prep you do as much as anything else.
Old Apr 22nd 2013, 6:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mfesharne
Fred

Did you buy your Dulux paint in Spain or the UK?

I wonder if (assuming Dulux have manufacturing plants outside the UK?) different manufacturing plants might possibly use different additives to suit different local conditions.
Gibraltar,

Last edited by Fredbargate; Apr 22nd 2013 at 7:14 am. Reason: Removed comment about price as it was wrong
Old Apr 22nd 2013, 5:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

MrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really nice

Cin spend a lot on marketing but they also make a second brand called Sotinco which (so I am told) is exactly the same paint in a different tin but priced differently. Have used both and certainly found no difference at all. Avoid the very cheap paint you find in supermarkets.