Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Driving Portuguese plated car on uk driving licence

Driving Portuguese plated car on uk driving licence

Old Jan 20th 2018, 10:14 am
Just Joined

Cath42 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Driving Portuguese plated car on uk driving licence

My friend was fined for not having 'the white paper' to go with her uk licence. She was driving a Portuguese plated car and was asked if she owned a house here. She does, but she is NOT a resident. She just comes on holiday. Was it right or wrong to fine her?? Was it a misunderstanding about residency??
Old Jan 20th 2018, 11:25 am
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving Portuguese plated car on uk driving licence

Sounds like it.

Mutual recognition of driving licences across the EU means there is no need to observe any formalities with regard to driving licences unless you change your country of residence. Portuguese law reflects this.

Was your friend asked how long she had been on holiday?
Old Jan 20th 2018, 11:46 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Red Eric
Sounds like it.

Mutual recognition of driving licences across the EU means there is no need to observe any formalities with regard to driving licences unless you change your country of residence. Portuguese law reflects this.

Was your friend asked how long she had been on holiday?
No. She was just asked if she had a home here. So easily misinterpreted. Residence or residency. Is it worth her going into GNR to check?
Old Jan 20th 2018, 11:59 am
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

I should say so.

Presumably paying the fine isn't the end of the matter but has been issued with the secondary intent of getting her to register the licence, which, as a non resident, she obviously shouldn't do.

If they insist, perhaps they can quote the law to her which says she is obliged to. I certainly can't find one and I've had a thorough look around, so it would be very handy to know for future reference. It definitely doesn't sound right to me.
Old Jan 20th 2018, 12:12 pm
Just Joined

I should say so.

Presumably paying the fine isn't the end of the matter but has been issued with the secondary intent of getting her to register the licence, which, as a non resident, she obviously shouldn't do.

If they insist, perhaps they can quote the law to her which says she is obliged to. I certainly can't find one and I've had a thorough look around, so it would be very handy to know for future reference. It definitely doesn't sound right to me.
Yes. She has 30 days to get 'the white paper', which only costs €5. (The fine was €60). But it's the principle of it. So many other friends are worried.
Old Jan 20th 2018, 12:35 pm
Polished expat

This white paper for 5€ is a complete mystery to me. Where is she supposed to get it from?

The registration of the licence with the IMT (PT equivalent of the DVLA), which residents must do, is free, as far as I know but they do issue a document for you to carry around. It's not applicable for non residents though.
Old Jan 20th 2018, 12:59 pm
Just Joined

This white paper for 5€ is a complete mystery to me. Where is she supposed to get it from?

The registration of the licence with the IMT (PT equivalent of the DVLA), which residents must do, is free, as far as I know but they do issue a document for you to carry around. It's not applicable for non residents though.
Maybe it's €5 now, from IMT, but clearly she shouldn't have been fined.
Old Jan 20th 2018, 2:02 pm
Forum Regular

coleio has a reputation beyond reputecoleio has a reputation beyond reputecoleio has a reputation beyond reputecoleio has a reputation beyond reputecoleio has a reputation beyond reputecoleio has a reputation beyond reputecoleio has a reputation beyond reputecoleio has a reputation beyond reputecoleio has a reputation beyond reputecoleio has a reputation beyond reputecoleio has a reputation beyond repute

I too have been asked for the additional UK licence information but it is related to penalty points etc, ie as the points or disqualification are not on the licence the owner may be banned but it does not show unless the additional information is presented. Getting a check code and printing off the info was required.

as in DVLA

https://www.gov.uk/view-driving-licence
Old Jan 20th 2018, 4:34 pm
Forum Regular

tootlewagon is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by coleio
I too have been asked for the additional UK licence information but it is related to penalty points etc, ie as the points or disqualification are not on the licence the owner may be banned but it does not show unless the additional information is presented. Getting a check code and printing off the info was required.

as in DVLA

https://www.gov.uk/view-driving-licence
I also have a PT registered car at my PT holiday home, which I drive on my UK licence when I am visiting Portugal, (I am a UK Resident incidentally).

I was always led to believe this was legally correct in Portugal, (at least pre-Brexit), but now your post has got me wondering.

Have the rules regarding driving a PT car on a UK licence changed, or is this just another example of over-zealous traffic cop making up his own rules?
Old Jan 20th 2018, 4:51 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Providing your GB driving licence is valid then there is no obligation to swap it for a Portuguese licence, even if you are resident in Portugal.

https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizen...y/index_en.htm
Old Jan 20th 2018, 5:00 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by tootlewagon
I also have a PT registered car at my PT holiday home, which I drive on my UK licence when I am visiting Portugal, (I am a UK Resident incidentally).

I was always led to believe this was legally correct in Portugal, (at least pre-Brexit), but now your post has got me wondering.

Have the rules regarding driving a PT car on a UK licence changed, or is this just another example of over-zealous traffic cop making up his own rules?
The more I investigate, the more I am convinced my friend (and you) are driving perfectly correctly. Clever confusion by the traffic cop on the word residence. She meant home owner, he thought residency and €60!!!!!
Old Jan 20th 2018, 7:06 pm
Forum Regular

tootlewagon is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Cath42
The more I investigate, the more I am convinced my friend (and you) are driving perfectly correctly. Clever confusion by the traffic cop on the word residence. She meant home owner, he thought residency and €60!!!!!
Hopefully, this is the current situation. However, on my next PT trip I will take along a copy of my DVLA (Licence) printout - just in case!!
Old Jan 20th 2018, 8:07 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by tootlewagon
Hopefully, this is the current situation. However, on my next PT trip I will take along a copy of my DVLA (Licence) printout - just in case!!
I honestly don't think it's anything to do with points, which they can check on the database. It was to do with residency.
Old Jan 21st 2018, 7:12 am
Polished expat

Originally Posted by Cath42
I honestly don't think it's anything to do with points, which they can check on the database. It was to do with residency.
Certainly sounds like it to me.

And I can confirm that you must be registered as resident in order to register the licence with the authorities - it's one of the documents they now insist on seeing :
As cartas de condução emitidas por países pertencentes � União Europeia e ao Espaço Económico Europeu (EEE - Islândia, Liechtenstein e Noruega) são válidas em Portugal, até ao términus da validade inscrita no título de condução.

No entanto, os condutores que estabeleçam residência em Portugal têm o dever de informar o Serviço Regional ou Distrital do IMT da sua área de residência, num prazo de 60 dias, sob pena de incorrer em infração.

Assim, neste caso o condutor deve dirigir-se aos balcões do IMT com os seguintes documentos:
•Formulário Modelo 13 IMT ;

•Fotocópia do título de condução e exibição do original deste documento;

•Apresentação do documento de identificação e comprovativo de autorização residência em território nacional
http://www.imt-ip.pt/sites/IMTT/Port...coEuropeu.aspx
Old Jan 21st 2018, 7:18 am
Just Joined

Certainly sounds like it to me.

And I can confirm that you must be registered as resident in order to register the licence with the authorities - it's one of the documents they now insist on seeing :

http://www.imt-ip.pt/sites/IMTT/Port...coEuropeu.aspx

Thanks so much. Wonder if it's worth her going to GNR for a refund. So far it's cost her €60 for the fine, plus a twenty mile trip to Faro for her hubby to get both their licences registered at €5 each!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.