Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Drivers Licence registration renewal

Drivers Licence registration renewal

Old Sep 7th 2017, 4:53 pm
Just Joined

Jiffijaw is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Drivers Licence registration renewal

"Portuguese residency does bring a requirement to register and/or exchange your licence and generally restricts you to a Portuguese car."

Help! New to this forum and Portuguese residency. I'm doing up a ruin in the Algarve. Bought myself a Portuguese registered Jimny and am now trying to import a Motorhome and change its matriculation to Portuguese. I'm planning on changing my UK Driving Licence to a Portuguese one (I'm 68). My wife hasn't changed her UK residency. She has a UK registered Fiat 500 (currently in UK) that she brings down.

I've been looking at various forums and threads and am confused whether as a Portuguese resident I'm legally allowed to drive any non-Portuguese registered cars while in Portugal? For instance, my wife's car, or my son's car when he drives it down here?
Old Sep 10th 2017, 5:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

morro has a reputation beyond reputemorro has a reputation beyond reputemorro has a reputation beyond reputemorro has a reputation beyond reputemorro has a reputation beyond reputemorro has a reputation beyond reputemorro has a reputation beyond reputemorro has a reputation beyond reputemorro has a reputation beyond reputemorro has a reputation beyond reputemorro has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Drivers Licence registration renewal

This is the most confusing thread in Portugal! And I started it!!
So that I can now drive my Portuguese car and when I drive over in my UK car, I went to the tax office and had myself officially made an Estrangeiro!!!
I will now pay more IMI, council tax.
And do not need to make a Portuguese tax return.
But God knows what will happen after Brexit.