Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Dogs running loose

Dogs running loose

Old Jan 21st 2018, 10:29 pm
Forum Regular

Jeraboam is just really niceJeraboam is just really niceJeraboam is just really niceJeraboam is just really niceJeraboam is just really niceJeraboam is just really niceJeraboam is just really niceJeraboam is just really nice
Default Dogs running loose

In recent years we have seen a great improvement in the restriction on dogs running loose. Fortunately, most of the dogs in the area between Albufeira and Gale beach are now confined to their owners properties as they appear to be all owned as guard animals and display nasty attitudes as one passes their homes. Unfortunately, a few irresponsible owners let their animals out on the streets without leashes and my morning runs sometimes encounter snarling, aggressive dogs. Most websites for runners provide little guidance of value: take another route, back away cautiously, climb over a wall or fence if attacked, etc. Carrying a useful club (!) makes running difficult and Mace or bear spray are not allowed in my checked luggage...! Any suggestions from other runners in the sunny south?
Old Jan 22nd 2018, 5:31 am
BE Forum Addict

mfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dogs running loose

You can buy pepper spray here........ It's only the stronger ones that are licenced
Old Jan 22nd 2018, 7:29 am
Forum Regular

nogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond repute

I too used to suffer with this problem, on my early morning runs. I started to carry a 1mt long stick! When the dogs ran at me; i just raised the stick. The dogs did a very quick about turn and ran off.
Old Jan 22nd 2018, 9:44 am
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute

Dogs are all different; but they are quite territorial. So as you run through 'their' area, some just can't resist the urge to harry you.

There are 2 paths; dominance or alliance.

Dominance is the stick. I don't think the spray is a good idea at all, that will cause far more escalation [canine and human] than a stick will. Also it's hard to control if there's any wind.

The alliance path is to stop and make friends with them; carry some little doggy treats to throw to them.
The owners might object to you feeding their dogs, but then you can tell them to tie the critter up if they don't like it. They're the ones out of order after all, not you.

Soon you'll be able to run through without trouble, tossing a little biscuit [or not] without breaking stride.

Truly nasty aggressive dogs won't cooperate in this way, but those are rarely loose [they make a lot of trouble and get taken to the kennel pretty quick].

Good luck!
Old Jan 23rd 2018, 4:13 am
Forum Regular

Jeraboam is just really niceJeraboam is just really niceJeraboam is just really niceJeraboam is just really niceJeraboam is just really niceJeraboam is just really niceJeraboam is just really niceJeraboam is just really nice

Thanks for the suggestions; the bear spray was tongue in cheek. I'll try the treats and then the big stick approach.
Old Jan 23rd 2018, 11:17 am
BE Forum Addict

mfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond repute

How about those small hand held, compressed air fog horn things they sell in some of the Chinese shops?
Old Jan 23rd 2018, 6:46 pm
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by liveaboard
Dogs are all different; but they are quite territorial. So as you run through 'their' area, some just can't resist the urge to harry you.

Dominance is the stick. I don't think the spray is a good idea at all, that will cause far more escalation [canine and human] than a stick will. Also it's hard to control if there's any wind.

The alliance path is to stop and make friends with them; carry some little doggy treats to throw to them.
The owners might object to you feeding their dogs, but then you can tell them to tie the critter up if they don't like it. They're the ones out of order after all, not you.

Soon you'll be able to run through without trouble, tossing a little biscuit [or not] without breaking stride.

Truly nasty aggressive dogs won't cooperate in this way, but those are rarely loose [they make a lot of trouble and get taken to the kennel pretty quick].

Good luck!
The dog biscuit works a treat.
Dogs when we first met them were scary and aggressive now wait for their biscuit
Old Jan 24th 2018, 6:50 am
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

A big stick sounds a bit awkward to carry on a run, whereas dog biscuits would fit nicely down the front of the shorts, leaving the hands free for proper running action.
Old Jan 26th 2018, 9:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Pilou is a jewel in the roughPilou is a jewel in the roughPilou is a jewel in the roughPilou is a jewel in the roughPilou is a jewel in the rough

Good luck!
Very good advice!
Old Jan 26th 2018, 10:30 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EMR
The dog biscuit works a treat.
Dogs when we first met them were scary and aggressive now wait for their biscuit
I feel a horror headline coming on - "EMR eaten by savage dogs after leaving biscuits at home"!
Old Jan 26th 2018, 10:45 am
I still dont believe it..

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute

Here, most dogs wander free, they are supposed to bark at passing people, thats their job and its usually pretty friendly, but aggressive ones dont prosper. If one bites someone or kills a sheep/goat, chances are some local will dispatch it with a cutlass or one night it’ll get poisoned with gramoxone,
Old Jan 27th 2018, 8:31 am
BE Enthusiast

BlackBeardie has a reputation beyond reputeBlackBeardie has a reputation beyond reputeBlackBeardie has a reputation beyond reputeBlackBeardie has a reputation beyond reputeBlackBeardie has a reputation beyond reputeBlackBeardie has a reputation beyond reputeBlackBeardie has a reputation beyond reputeBlackBeardie has a reputation beyond reputeBlackBeardie has a reputation beyond reputeBlackBeardie has a reputation beyond reputeBlackBeardie has a reputation beyond repute

I am guilty of letting my dog run loose. Own her own she is very friendly to passersby. However, she joins up with the neighbours dogs on occasion to harry people on. Not ideal I know, but they are not attack dogs and have never bitten anyone if you shoo them they stop and back off.

What drives a one of them nuts are cars with noisy engines. Like those small cars with three cylinder engines I think.
Pepper spray is a bit extreme but yes, do carry stick.

Good luck!
Old Jan 27th 2018, 10:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Ingles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond repute

Don't know why some are going on over Pepper Spray , nearly everybody has in the house Fly Spray , this works just as well ,if you spray there face !