Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Dog Lovers Please Help!

Dog Lovers Please Help!

Old Feb 1st 2018, 3:37 am
Just Joined

RDEH is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Dog Lovers Please Help!

My father in law has had to leave Portugal and return to the UK due to health reasons and has had to unwillingly leave his dogs behind. They are currently staying at kennels for the month but we are looking for a loving home for them as it does not look like he will be able to get them over to the UK at any time soon. They are two older dogs, the one on the left is called Tyson. He is very sweet loving dog to everyone but doesn't get on with most other dogs. He was rescued from a bin as a pup. The other is Fred he is a pure breed english cocker spaniel that we got from another family that couldn't look after him when he was also a pup. He can be quite anxious and anxiety meds have been recommended. It has worsened since his hearing deteriorated. Without them he gets very overprotective and will guard items aggressively. He is however fine with other dogs. Preferably a home without children for these dogs as Fred does not take to them.

I live in Australia with his daughter so we can't have them unfortunately. We would really be wanting to keep them together. Feel free to message me with any questions!
Old Feb 3rd 2018, 2:02 pm
Forum Regular

Mac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dog Lovers Please Help!

That is really sad. Hopefully someone on here may be able to come forward with a suitable home for them, if your fil really can't have them back in the UK. I'm assuming that's not possible because of his situation and not because of the logistics of their travel etc? If it's the latter, it wouldn't be difficult.

Sadly, standards of animal care and welfare in PT are generally not what you would expect in the UK or some other Western European countries, or Oz I would imagine. So if an offer does arise, perhaps you or your fil could ask a trusted friend or local charity to carry out a homecheck for you. There are not so many charities to place them for rehoming and those would mostly be in the Algarve. You indicate that they are older dogs and not straightforward so, although I sincerely hope that something comes up through this forum, I would think it could be difficult to find them a suitable new home, especially as a twosome. They don't sound as though they would find a rehoming kennel a pleasant experience. I guess I'm saying that, unless something arises that's really concrete and satisfactory and checked out as far as possible, a painless end by euthanasia would not be the worst possible outcome for them, and personally, if I really couldn't keep them and take them out of PT with me, it is what I would be considering for my pets. It is such a heartbreaking thought, I know, but it could turn out to be the kindest decision you could make for them.
Please don't other forum users think I would put pets to sleep out of hand; I am a crazy animal lover and would always, and do, go to extreme lengths to do the very best for each one of my menagerie. I'm just wanting to warn the OP, in case they're not aware, that life for animals in PT is not what we might expect as the norm elsewhere, unfortunately.