dog on ferry

Old Aug 16th 2017, 10:46 am
M.O.V.E.D. !

Annetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond repute
Default dog on ferry

I am still hoping to come to Portugal this winter.
However, coming from Provence, I think we are talking 2000 + kms ...

Exploring ferries at the moment, I come across one from Sete (France) to Tangier, taking 38 + hours and then ferry across to Spain.
I am taking my dog (and maybe sister + another dog) both medium to big ones.

Have never taken a long ferry before, how does this work with dogs ?
Will they stay with us or do they have to stay in the car (38+ hours) ...

Anybody has done this and can info me ?

Thanks
Anne
Old Aug 16th 2017, 9:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Diddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: dog on ferry

Hi Anne,

Our own dog is widely travelled, by ferry, though only on cross channel routes with Brittany Ferries And many ferry operators do not carry pets, so check this. Depending on the route, he has travelled the following ways:
First, Staying in the car, for shorter crossings (up to about 10 hours). We don't feed him beforehand, and give him a walk before embarcation. Just some water in the car (which he never touches). This is clearly completely acceptable for him.

The second method, for ships to Santander, is to use one of the banks of kennels, which are clean and reasonably spacious. These can be accessed at any time, and we can take our elderly border collie to a special deck area, which is equipped with a hose and poo bags. He doesn't like the kennels, but now accepts them with resignation and accusing looks. Finally, one or two of the ships have dog- friendly cabins, which are ok, and you can access a small exercise area.

My advice is to check carefully the position and any required medication with the ferry company. In principle I would not hesitate to take a dog, though, as I have said, I can't speak of companies other than Brittany Ferries.

On a different note, we use the roads from northern Spain to Portugal. They are pretty empty, fast, and toll-free, so make for easy driving. Taking a couple of days extra and using single nights in airbnb might perhaps be a rather pleasant alternative to consider.
Old Aug 17th 2017, 6:22 am
M.O.V.E.D. !

Annetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Diddion
Hi Anne,

Our own dog is widely travelled, by ferry, though only on cross channel routes with Brittany Ferries And many ferry operators do not carry pets, so check this. Depending on the route, he has travelled the following ways:
First, Staying in the car, for shorter crossings (up to about 10 hours). We don't feed him beforehand, and give him a walk before embarcation. Just some water in the car (which he never touches). This is clearly completely acceptable for him.

The second method, for ships to Santander, is to use one of the banks of kennels, which are clean and reasonably spacious. These can be accessed at any time, and we can take our elderly border collie to a special deck area, which is equipped with a hose and poo bags. He doesn't like the kennels, but now accepts them with resignation and accusing looks. Finally, one or two of the ships have dog- friendly cabins, which are ok, and you can access a small exercise area.

My advice is to check carefully the position and any required medication with the ferry company. In principle I would not hesitate to take a dog, though, as I have said, I can't speak of companies other than Brittany Ferries.

On a different note, we use the roads from northern Spain to Portugal. They are pretty empty, fast, and toll-free, so make for easy driving. Taking a couple of days extra and using single nights in airbnb might perhaps be a rather pleasant alternative to consider.

Thank you for that.
I am slowly dropping this idea I must say. Traveling first to another continent might bring paper-trouble.
Just seemed a nice lazy way of doing it.

Did double-check the distance and it would only () be about 1800 km, so can split this over 3 days. Have done it by car already but that was with 2 drivers. This time I will be on my own doing the driving.

Anyway, back to the drawing-board.
Old Aug 17th 2017, 6:34 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Annetje
I am still hoping to come to Portugal this winter.
However, coming from Provence, I think we are talking 2000 + kms ...

Exploring ferries at the moment, I come across one from Sete (France) to Tangier, taking 38 + hours and then ferry across to Spain.
I am taking my dog (and maybe sister + another dog) both medium to big ones.

Have never taken a long ferry before, how does this work with dogs ?
Will they stay with us or do they have to stay in the car (38+ hours) ...

Anybody has done this and can info me ?

Thanks
Anne
Hi from the France Forum!
I've never done this crossing, but my daughters and OH"s grandchildren did so in the other direction and from what they said about the overnight crossing, I wouldn't recommend it with a dog (and even less so, several!).
The humans were sea-sick and there's no knowing how an animal would fare, even if animals are accepted on the ferry (to be checked).
Not only that, but your dog might have to stay in a transit area at the port while you change ferries, with the prospect of the onward journey to look forward to....
Provence is no further from Portugal than the UK and it ought to be possible to go overland over several days?

P.S. Have just noticed that you're dropping the iidea of the ferries - a wise decision!! It should be doable in easy stages if you're the only one driving.
Old Aug 17th 2017, 7:05 am
M.O.V.E.D. !

Originally Posted by dmu
Hi from the France Forum!
I've never done this crossing, but my daughters and OH"s grandchildren did so in the other direction and from what they said about the overnight crossing, I wouldn't recommend it with a dog (and even less so, several!).
The humans were sea-sick and there's no knowing how an animal would fare, even if animals are accepted on the ferry (to be checked).
Not only that, but your dog might have to stay in a transit area at the port while you change ferries, with the prospect of the onward journey to look forward to....
Provence is no further from Portugal than the UK and it ought to be possible to go overland over several days?

P.S. Have just noticed that you're dropping the iidea of the ferries - a wise decision!! It should be doable in easy stages if you're the only one driving.
Thank you, yes I am looking at the road again. I like driving anyway
Especially the changing ferries in Morocco worried me, not too sure what papers one needs for me (us) and dog(s).

So that ferry isn't the nicest one. Oh well, never mind.
Old Aug 17th 2017, 7:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Diddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond repute

Good decision!
Old Aug 17th 2017, 7:48 am
BE Enthusiast

barlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond repute

It's only a two-day trip driving!

Done it several times to Lemoggies, which is about the same distance!.

Ibis Hotels like the one at IRUN allow dogs to check in provided they are looking after their humans .
Old Aug 17th 2017, 7:56 am
M.O.V.E.D. !

Originally Posted by barlaventoexpert
It's only a two-day trip driving!

Done it several times to Lemoggies, which is about the same distance!.

Ibis Hotels like the one at IRUN allow dogs to check in provided they are looking after their humans .
I assume with dogs one has to allow more breaks than normal.
That's why I reckon 600 / 700 km per day will be the maximum.
Old Aug 17th 2017, 8:01 am
BE Enthusiast

barlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond repute

Hmm!

Wouldn't be so bad if they could take turns with the driving!

There's an IBIS In Salamanca.
Old Aug 17th 2017, 8:05 am
M.O.V.E.D. !

Originally Posted by barlaventoexpert
Hmm!

Wouldn't be so bad if they could take turns with the driving!

There's an IBIS In Salamanca.
Old Aug 17th 2017, 9:37 am
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Annetje

Thank you for that.
I am slowly dropping this idea I must say. Traveling first to another continent might bring paper-trouble.
Just seemed a nice lazy way of doing it.

Did double-check the distance and it would only () be about 1800 km, so can split this over 3 days. Have done it by car already but that was with 2 drivers. This time I will be on my own doing the driving.

Anyway, back to the drawing-board.
My immediate thought was whether any pet-passport would be valid for entry via Morocco ...... if not, then it could cost you a lot more than paperwork.
Old Aug 18th 2017, 9:03 am
Forum Regular

Lelandy has a brilliant futureLelandy has a brilliant futureLelandy has a brilliant futureLelandy has a brilliant futureLelandy has a brilliant futureLelandy has a brilliant futureLelandy has a brilliant futureLelandy has a brilliant future

We've just done a return trip with our border collie; plymouth-roscoff-tavira and the drive wasn't bad at all. As recommended above we use IBIS hotels or F1s when needing a motorway stop.

On the way down we did Roscoff to Saintes, 5 hours, F1 motel. Then Saintes to Salamanca IBIS (which is walking distance to the Plaza Mayor, well worth a visit) 9 hours. Then Salamanca to Tavira, 7 hours I think, numerous collie pit stops along the way.

On the way back we went Lisbon, Salamanca, Nantes, Roscoff. All in a Mini Clubman!

I would recommend Club Accor membership which gives you a discount in ibis, novotel, mercure, and F1 hotels.
Old Aug 18th 2017, 10:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Lelandy
Then Salamanca to Tavira, 7 hours I think, numerous collie pit stops along the way.
Hmm! Hope the collie did some of the driving!

Old Aug 18th 2017, 10:29 am
M.O.V.E.D. !

Originally Posted by Lelandy
We've just done a return trip with our border collie; plymouth-roscoff-tavira and the drive wasn't bad at all. As recommended above we use IBIS hotels or F1s when needing a motorway stop.

On the way down we did Roscoff to Saintes, 5 hours, F1 motel. Then Saintes to Salamanca IBIS (which is walking distance to the Plaza Mayor, well worth a visit) 9 hours. Then Salamanca to Tavira, 7 hours I think, numerous collie pit stops along the way.

On the way back we went Lisbon, Salamanca, Nantes, Roscoff. All in a Mini Clubman!

I would recommend Club Accor membership which gives you a discount in ibis, novotel, mercure, and F1 hotels.

Hope you had a lovely holiday !

Thanks for your info, will have a search for ibis hotels ''en route'' since I will be the other side of spain on the way up. The way back, since wanting to taste the north of Portugal, I will probably follow part of your route to France.