Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Cost of living in Portugal

Cost of living in Portugal

Old Feb 4th 2007, 9:53 am
Just Joined

contrada is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Cost of living in Portugal

My wife and I are contemplating moving to Alvor this year. We will have around 1800 euros per month (after tax) from pensions and investment income and can buy a flat outright. Would 1800 per month be enough for food, property tax, house insurance, utilities, phone and car running costs?
We intend to live simply with the odd meal a fortnight in restaurants and a fairly low car mileage.

any advice would be very welcome- thanks
Old Feb 4th 2007, 11:03 am

Cleri is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Cost of living in Portugal

Originally Posted by contrada
My wife and I are contemplating moving to Alvor this year. We will have around 1800 euros per month (after tax) from pensions and investment income and can buy a flat outright. Would 1800 per month be enough for food, property tax, house insurance, utilities, phone and car running costs?
We intend to live simply with the odd meal a fortnight in restaurants and a fairly low car mileage.

That will be plenty!!!!!!
Most people I know live on much less.
My portuguese friends survive on 600 a month,but I dont know how!

You will have a very good lifestyle on that income

If you want any specific costs,you can pm me
Old Feb 4th 2007, 1:39 pm
Escaped to the Sun

Mattiespeople is just really niceMattiespeople is just really niceMattiespeople is just really niceMattiespeople is just really niceMattiespeople is just really niceMattiespeople is just really niceMattiespeople is just really niceMattiespeople is just really niceMattiespeople is just really niceMattiespeople is just really niceMattiespeople is just really nice

Ola

I agree with Cleri - that is loads of money - get ready for a great lifestyle!
Cheers
Matts
Old Feb 5th 2007, 9:31 am
Just Joined

pureportugal is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Mattiespeople
Ola

I agree with Cleri - that is loads of money - get ready for a great lifestyle!
Cheers
Matts
yes, you should live very comfortably in portugal on that amount
Old Feb 5th 2007, 12:08 pm
Just Joined

contrada is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by contrada

Thanks for the input - it sounds very encouraging. We really had no idea how much it would cost to live there.
Old Feb 6th 2007, 6:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

omostra06 has a brilliant futureomostra06 has a brilliant futureomostra06 has a brilliant futureomostra06 has a brilliant futureomostra06 has a brilliant futureomostra06 has a brilliant futureomostra06 has a brilliant futureomostra06 has a brilliant future

i agree that seems more than enough to live quite comfortably, even in the Algarve.
Old Feb 10th 2007, 7:40 am
Forum Regular

dollydimple62 will become famous soon enough

Hi everyone, this is my first post... my hubby and I are planning to move out very soon to the middle of portugal where we have found a farm there...
great news on the cost of living, we will have around 2k for salery so we can invest a lot if the cost of living is so good... I hate shopping!!! so that will be a saving...

I went to portugal last month for my birthday... and am now learning the lingo as fast as I can... so at least they wont think I'm ignorant for not trying...

anyway good posts chaps...

Dolly