Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

consequences of foreign licence??

consequences of foreign licence??

Old May 27th 2015, 9:16 am
BE Forum Addict

gedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to behold
Default consequences of foreign licence??

I've been here for a "while" and still have my UK licence, I frequent the UK and hire a car and that's what has put me off the possibily long wait to get a PT licence.

Anyway, almost 2 years ago I crossed a continuios white line, paid my 120€ fine and then 6 months later got a letter telling me to hand my licence in for one month, spoke to a solicitor I know and she wrote a letter saying how my licence was essential bla bla bla and she said if I hear nothing back all is well.
However last week(well over a year on) she got a letter say they were rejecting the appeal and the case will now be dealt with by the court. She assures me there is no doubt I will have to appear in court. As of yet, no diiect contact with me and no date.

I'm thinking I'm probably going to now that my UK licence is going to be a problem, she reckons I should not change at this stage as it will look bad?! I'm not so sure!
Anyone been fined etc for this or know of possible consequences? A fine is one thing but I'm really with a big problem if I get a ban!

I was thinking today maybe the least I should do is register UK licence with IMTT, never heard of anyone doing that around here but know some of you on here have done it, is this enough to be "Legal" and what is the document required?
Old May 27th 2015, 11:21 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: consequences of foreign licence??

Is your UK photocard licence 'in date' as there is an expiry date on it, I suggest checking that.
Old May 27th 2015, 12:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

gedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by mikelincs
Is your UK photocard licence 'in date' as there is an expiry date on it, I suggest checking that.
Yes, it has another 8 years left on it.
Old May 27th 2015, 1:22 pm
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gedscottish
I was thinking today maybe the least I should do is register UK licence with IMTT, never heard of anyone doing that around here but know some of you on here have done it, is this enough to be "Legal" and what is the document required?

I'm surprised you've got away without doing this for so long - I've been asked on more than one occasion at a random stop to show the IMTT document proving the licence is registered with them. You can be fined for not having done so. Even more surprised it wasn't a problem when you incurred the fine. I guess you've been lucky

Documents required :
Document of residence from either Câmara or Junta de Freguesia
Modelo 13 IMT form *
Original plus a photocopy of driving licence
Original ID document

* This was provided to me, blank, at the IMTT office with someone else's request for me to copy but you can download and complete the form in advance.

I would suggest copying the ID document too, in case they want a copy. Photocopies in govt offices can be very expensive if they insist on having one. Also take contribuinte card - it's not mentioned as required but it wasn't for the exchange I requested last week either and they still wanted it.

It is all that is required to be fully legal. Can't answer your other questions - I never, ever commit motoring offences but I can, if I remember, let you know how long it took when my shiny new Portuguese licence arrives. I'm currently in limbo, with a temporary document, only legal to drive in Portugal.
Old May 27th 2015, 4:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Mod13IMT.pdf

Document looks simple enough, although I wonder what should be written in comments/observations exactly?!

Been stopped a few times and only once asked why I had a foreign licence, told them I spend half the year in the UK. Customer of ours is waiting 2 years this month for her licence, that's what has put me off! I have seen others more recently get them with in 2 or 3 months though. I reckon it also depends on the IMTT office.

They have changed their system in the last few months and had intended to get everyone in who was already waiting on their licence to take a digital photo and get a digital signature but since it's been chaos, they are now just issuing the licences anyway.. so you should hopefully get yours soon! How long you been waiting Eric?
Old May 27th 2015, 6:12 pm
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

I can't remember what I copied now for the Modelo 13! It was a good few years ago and my Portuguese wasn't all that good back then. If I come across some standard format I'll let you know, otherwise I'm sure you can be guided as I was when you apply.

I lodged the application for the exchange on Friday last week - they took a photo and a digital signature there and then (did they REALLY have people applying and not do this before?) As I say, I'll let you know when it arrives so you can guage current delay.
Old May 28th 2015, 1:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

peterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond repute

Hi All

When I went to submit my UK license I took the form from my doctor and the lady at the IMTT in Coimbra did everything else for me. She said that the form she gave me was my new license to use unit the plastic card arrived all done and no problem.

Peter
Old May 28th 2015, 1:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by peterfc
Hi All

When I went to submit my UK license I took the form from my doctor and the lady at the IMTT in Coimbra did everything else for me. She said that the form she gave me was my new license to use unit the plastic card arrived all done and no problem.

Peter
I have been advised not change my licence as I'm court bound so it's going to look bad if I get there with no licence to hand in and having started the process knowing fine well I'm looking at getting banned.

At least if I have it registered with a bit of IMTT paper I can play dumb and say i thought that was all that was required.
Old May 28th 2015, 4:33 pm
Forum Regular

Jessel is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by peterfc
Hi All

Peter
Would you by any chance have the name of the lady you dealt with and whether or not she spoke English because I went in there on Monday and could not find anyone who spoke English?
Old May 28th 2015, 9:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

peterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jessel
Would you by any chance have the name of the lady you dealt with and whether or not she spoke English because I went in there on Monday and could not find anyone who spoke English?

Hi Jessel

Sorry i didn't get a name you just get allocated a number and a desk to go to as i am sure you know. Most of the security guards speak English or when i have been in they have.

I have sent a PM.

Peter
Old May 29th 2015, 9:13 am
BE Enthusiast

newintavira is just really nicenewintavira is just really nicenewintavira is just really nicenewintavira is just really nicenewintavira is just really nicenewintavira is just really nicenewintavira is just really nicenewintavira is just really nicenewintavira is just really nicenewintavira is just really nice

Hi All

Peter
That's all good until you want to hire a car (or drive) in another country. Our exchange took nearly a year.
Old May 29th 2015, 7:09 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Portugal, England, Thailand, soon to be New Zealand
blownaway is an unknown quantity at this point

Are you still UK resident?

http://www.blplaw.com/media/how-can-...0flowchart.PDF

If you are UK resident, then you can't show your Portuguese residency papers as you won't have any.

However, you may have the Atestado de Residencia which registered your presence in Portugal if you stay for more than 3 months.

The EU confirms that EU Citizens can stay in any EU Country for more than 3 months without registering for residency but under restricted conditions (i.e., you can't get health benefits nor apply for unemployment / child benefit etc.) in the host country.

However, your UK driving licence should be registered at the IMTT if you are driving a Portuguese registered car according to the rules.

Unfortunately, Portugal does not have any leeway for human error where driving is concerned and it's a total pain in the .... but, unlike England which has a warning and points system, Portugal is very much more of a police state without leniency. In that respect, it's not a very good place to drive in because mistakes happen as we're all human - but the Portuguese don't really care about human nature - they only care about their stringent, unrelenting laws.

Unfortunately, you are highly likely to have your licence taken from you unless you stay away from Portugal completely for a number of years. If you like the place, better to take the pain and believe me, court is not a pleasant experience in this troubled country.

The government and officials appoint family who aren't really capable of performing the job - they get the job because they are family.

A local Portuguese person had his license taken for 3 months who ran a bread van business for a similar offense - he had to employ a driver to keep his business going during that period of time.

Portuguese authorities really don't care about anything other than trying to adhere to their own laws that the Portuguese themselves don't even like. Portuguese authorities don't work for the people - they work for the government (we hear it all the time from the horses mouth).

They also try to bring anyone who happens to be within their borders into the bargain too even if certain situations have nothing at all to do with them.

It's not hard to see why Portugal is one of the poorest countries in Europe and it can't get its act together, and why the country is very slowly but surely emptying of had enough of it in Portugal Portuguese and filling up with more ignorant of the country foreigners.

Its a country which, in it's relentless need to fulfil it's own laws, fines it's own volunteer ambulance drivers and fire brigade for minor offences including missing "no smoking" stickers in cabs or speeding through residential areas without blues and twos.

Unfortunately, your "I need my licence" isn't likely to have a great deal of effect.

Last edited by blownaway; May 29th 2015 at 7:23 pm.
Old May 30th 2015, 9:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Blownaway, no, I have pernament residency! I'm pretty much with no excuses, I should have took the 1 month ban and not appealed it... bad advice from a young lawyer I reckon! Lawyer said it's first case of many she has done that has failed and that includes drunk drivers! All I done was pass a continious line with zero danger, my worry now is I'm also going to get hammered for the UK licence! Just hope the ban comes soon so it's during period when my kids are on holiday from school.
Old May 30th 2015, 1:13 pm
Polished expat

I don't see there can be any harm in your registering the licence with IMTT now.

What was the circumstance of the offence BTW? Did you just pull out carefully and observantly to go round an obstruction? - I've often wondered whether that could get you pulled so I frequently sit and wait while everybody else shoots past me and obstructions.
Old May 31st 2015, 11:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Red Eric
I don't see there can be any harm in your registering the licence with IMTT now.

What was the circumstance of the offence BTW? Did you just pull out carefully and observantly to go round an obstruction? - I've often wondered whether that could get you pulled so I frequently sit and wait while everybody else shoots past me and obstructions.
U turn a couple of metres short of the end of the continuous white line on an empty road, knew police were there but thought nothing off it. Police said he knew I did nothing dangerous but regardless I broke the law... Felt like giving him abuse but refrained stayed friendly and he even apologised after he fined me!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.