Reload this Page >

Connecting BT phone in Portugal

Connecting BT phone in Portugal

Old Sep 14th 2005, 7:42 pm
Just Joined

VillaMorocco is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Connecting BT phone in Portugal

Hi,
I've a BT Easicom 1000 telephone that operated OK in the UK but now I'm in Portugal I wondered if I could get an adapter and connect to the Portuguese Telephone system?

Any help would be gratefully appreciated.
Old Sep 28th 2005, 6:00 am
Forum Regular

stoobee1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Connecting BT phone in Portugal

Originally Posted by VillaMorocco
Hi,
I've a BT Easicom 1000 telephone that operated OK in the UK but now I'm in Portugal I wondered if I could get an adapter and connect to the Portuguese Telephone system?

Any help would be gratefully appreciated.
Yes of course you can get an adaptor. You may find that the phone doesn't ring though because UK phone connections have a 3rd line which rings the phone. Had the same problem here in NL with my BT phone. My Philips DECT phone worked without it though. The way round it was to buy a ring capacitor from Maplin.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?...12492&doy=28m9

Get the VD36P adaptor. This converts UK to US and has an inline ring capacitor. Then you need to source a US to Portugal adaptor somewhere. It was easy to source an NL to US adaptor here. Probably the same for you with the Portugal one.

Good luck,

Stu
Old Sep 28th 2005, 10:31 am
Just Joined

Hi Stoobee1 and thanks for the info.

Not sure I fully understand all the details but the VD36P adaptor looks as though it will certainly convert the UK plug to RJ11. The RJ11 is used in Portugal so I'm not sure whether I'll need a US to Portuguese adaptor yet.

Once again thanks for your time.

Regards

Villa Morocco

Originally Posted by stoobee1
Yes of course you can get an adaptor. You may find that the phone doesn't ring though because UK phone connections have a 3rd line which rings the phone. Had the same problem here in NL with my BT phone. My Philips DECT phone worked without it though. The way round it was to buy a ring capacitor from Maplin.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?...12492&doy=28m9

Get the VD36P adaptor. This converts UK to US and has an inline ring capacitor. Then you need to source a US to Portugal adaptor somewhere. It was easy to source an NL to US adaptor here. Probably the same for you with the Portugal one.

Good luck,

Stu
Old Sep 28th 2005, 6:23 pm
Forum Regular

stoobee1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by VillaMorocco
Hi Stoobee1 and thanks for the info.

Not sure I fully understand all the details but the VD36P adaptor looks as though it will certainly convert the UK plug to RJ11. The RJ11 is used in Portugal so I'm not sure whether I'll need a US to Portuguese adaptor yet.

Once again thanks for your time.

Regards

Villa Morocco
Ok that's all you need then. Here in NL they use a large phone socket that's as big as 220v power outlet.
Old Sep 28th 2005, 6:41 pm
Just Joined

Hi Stoobee1 and thanks again for your time.

I'll let you know how I get on.

Regards

Villa Morocco
Originally Posted by stoobee1
Ok that's all you need then. Here in NL they use a large phone socket that's as big as 220v power outlet.