Coming Soon

Old Jan 24th 2018, 10:47 am
Just Joined

gaza333 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Coming Soon

Hi Everyone
My wife and I will be retiring a few years.
We currently have a place in Burgau on the Western Algarve.
The plan is to sell our house in Uk and to move to Portugal to live in our property for say a year or two.
Whilst living in Burgau we plan to put the property on the market, can you guys advise what selling costs we can expect? I.E. estate agents, legal etc?
Also as we will be moving to live for an indefinite period of time, what do we need to do re advising authorities etc
Best wishes
Old Jan 27th 2018, 8:39 am
BE Enthusiast

BlackBeardie has a reputation beyond reputeBlackBeardie has a reputation beyond reputeBlackBeardie has a reputation beyond reputeBlackBeardie has a reputation beyond reputeBlackBeardie has a reputation beyond reputeBlackBeardie has a reputation beyond reputeBlackBeardie has a reputation beyond reputeBlackBeardie has a reputation beyond reputeBlackBeardie has a reputation beyond reputeBlackBeardie has a reputation beyond reputeBlackBeardie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Coming Soon

5% estate agent costs if I help you sell your property. I did a long term rental of a two bed flat in Burgau back in 2013. Very nice fishing village with a super little beach and access to Lagos by the Onda bus service. I am now dug in the eas
tern algrave with my Kampfgruppe.
Old Jan 27th 2018, 8:53 am
BE Enthusiast

AliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond repute

If you are moving over with the intension of staying then you should change the address associated with your NIF at a finances office. After 3 months you go to the Camâra to register that you are living in Portugal, then you need to go to IMT (their DVLA) and link your UK driving licence to your Portuguese address.
Think that's basically it for things you need to do.
Old Jan 27th 2018, 8:56 am
BE Enthusiast

AliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond repute

We moved to Burgau 3 weeks ago and are loving it.
Old Jan 27th 2018, 1:24 pm
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AliceCaroline
If you are moving over with the intension of staying then you should change the address associated with your NIF at a finances office. After 3 months you go to the Camâra to register that you are living in Portugal, then you need to go to IMT (their DVLA) and link your UK driving licence to your Portuguese address.
Think that's basically it for things you need to do.
Although if, as the OP says, he's not moving "for a few years", it could be all change by then what with something beginning with B
Old Jan 27th 2018, 3:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Red Eric
Although if, as the OP says, he's not moving "for a few years", it could be all change by then what with something beginning with B
True. How could I forget the B word. You'd probably have to get a visa in the UK before heading to Portugal post Brexit.

We hopefully won't be affected by it as they say if you are in before March 2019 you keep the same rights as now. All I worry about now is if the UK leaves with no deal
Old Jan 27th 2018, 5:50 pm
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

There's talk of the period of free movement applying during the entire transition period, which could be good news for some if it comes to pass.

And although the transition period is supposed to be strictly time limited, there's also talk of the possibility of its being extended, so more possible good news for those still shy by years.
Old Jan 27th 2018, 6:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

dingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond repute

imo - it'll not be too much of an issue , after all it wasn't too troublesome before we signed up to the eu , but just in case we are planning to arrive in portugal in sept and have residency and everything sorted out before brexit

need to sort out accommodation on at least a 6 month lease that will be ok with our miniature dachshund too as we cannot leave her behind
Old Jan 28th 2018, 8:01 am
Polished expat

Originally Posted by dingg
imo - it'll not be too much of an issue , after all it wasn't too troublesome before we signed up to the eu , but just in case we are planning to arrive in portugal in sept and have residency and everything sorted out before brexit
Not the most confident of shouts, then!

Not getting at anybody here but I'm not sure why it is that anyone thinks it's at all relevant what happened before we joined the EU and why the "people used to move around prior to that" line gets trotted out as some kind of reassurance. It was a very long time ago and I very much doubt many (or any?) of us has the foggiest what was involved back then. What is undeniably true is that there have been a number of changes to immigration law since.

Seeing as PT law now caters for 2 categories, ie EU and non EU, then assuming that a) the UK doesn't do a massive U turn on freedom of movement and b) the EU isn't disposed to treating UK citizens as some sort of separate category altogether, UK citizens will eventually presumably be subject to exactly the same rules as non EU citizens for immigration purposes.

What precisely that will involve for people wishing to retire to Portugal is unclear to me, since I can't find a definitive list of current requirements for non EU citizens, despite a fair amount of searching. However, a load more paperwork is an odds-on certainty and I'd be very surprised indeed if there weren't a more stringent income requirement plus possibly the need for health insurance, at least until permanent residence was granted.

Given the tantrums I've witnessed on forums from UK citizens coming in under the current easy EU regime, I suspect "it wasn't too troublesome" isn't going to be the universal response when new rules apply
Old Jan 28th 2018, 8:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Red Eric

What precisely that will involve for people wishing to retire to Portugal is unclear to me, since I can't find a definitive list of current requirements for non EU citizens, despite a fair amount of searching. However, a load more paperwork is an odds-on certainty and I'd be very surprised indeed if there weren't a more stringent income requirement plus possibly the need for health insurance, at least until permanent residence was granted.
I spent a fair bit of time trying to look up the criteria for non-EU immigrants (third country nationals) and it isn't easy to find answers.
There does seem to be a visa that mentions pensioners but they did seem to need to prove sufficiant income to support themselves.
Think the biggest difference will be having to get a visa before leaving the UK if you want to emigrate to Portugal.
I lost interest once the EU-UK negotiation paper came out saying that anyone who is settled in their new country by the date of withdrawal will keep their present conditions.
Old Jan 28th 2018, 8:15 am
BE Enthusiast

I'd saved this link from SEF...

TEMPORARY RESIDENCE PERMIT
Old Jan 28th 2018, 8:45 am
BE Enthusiast

dingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond repute

Red Eric.

Its called hedging ones bets , better safe than sorry and all that BUT there's far too much hysteria over brexit IMO
Your opinion may differ 😄
Old Jan 28th 2018, 8:51 am
Polished expat

I think the opinion of any non EU citizens (other than those with EU spouses) with experience of trying to move to Portugal may differ, which is far more to the point.