A tough quest??

Old May 7th 2007, 4:59 pm
Just Joined

avbjvb is an unknown quantity at this point
Default A tough quest??

My hubby and I are moving to Portugal within the year with his work and he can base himself anywhere, although as he'll be travelling about 50% of his life, he needs access to the rest of Europe (and on the odd occassion the States) via the airport. We've been to fantastic Portugal many times, more than I can recall but we've only really explored the Algarve region and made a few short trips to Cascais, Sintra and lisbon, but as day trippers. My question really is, where is best to site yourself if you want to be in a pretty location but with good facilities locally, if i had my entire wish list I would be close to the sea, warm climate and be able to have 3 bedrooms for less than about 200,000 euros, although we can go as high as 450,000. We are reasonably good speakers of the language (although my written is still a little lacking) and would prefer a place that has lots of that fantastic Portuguese flavour, rather than overdevelopment. I think Silver Coast, being closer to Lisbon might be best for the Airport links but I'm not sure.

I know this is asking a lot, but having read a few postings it looks like you've all got good thiking caps on! and some of you might even be thinking, that's where I live!
Old May 7th 2007, 9:31 pm

crispy will become famous soon enoughcrispy will become famous soon enough
Default Re: A tough quest??

Originally Posted by avbjvb
My hubby and I are moving to Portugal within the year with his work and he can base himself anywhere, although as he'll be travelling about 50% of his life, he needs access to the rest of Europe (and on the odd occassion the States) via the airport. We've been to fantastic Portugal many times, more than I can recall but we've only really explored the Algarve region and made a few short trips to Cascais, Sintra and lisbon, but as day trippers. My question really is, where is best to site yourself if you want to be in a pretty location but with good facilities locally, if i had my entire wish list I would be close to the sea, warm climate and be able to have 3 bedrooms for less than about 200,000 euros, although we can go as high as 450,000. We are reasonably good speakers of the language (although my written is still a little lacking) and would prefer a place that has lots of that fantastic Portuguese flavour, rather than overdevelopment. I think Silver Coast, being closer to Lisbon might be best for the Airport links but I'm not sure.

I know this is asking a lot, but having read a few postings it looks like you've all got good thiking caps on! and some of you might even be thinking, that's where I live!

Hello avbjvb

Not sure if I will be any good to you but I will try, I have been looking on the Silver Coast just above Lisboa about an hours drive, there are plans to move Lisboa airport about 30 min drive above where it is at the moment. Your 200.000 euro budget will get you a 3/4 bedroom house up in that area. I have seen some great new builds and older properties in the Obidos, Alcobaca region all for under that price. The house I am interested in is 90,000 and we have been told that 50,000 should reform it to a high standard so I am looking to invest about 90,000 to make it a dream home.

Do a little bit of google and see what you can find, it really does need a visit to get the feel of things, Anyway, welcome and I expect we will speak again.
Old May 8th 2007, 1:11 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for that Crispygirl, I have looked at quite a few properties in Obidos. I'm just a bit wary of places where there are lots of these new terraced developments going up as they really spoil the natural character of the area.
I think I might be being way to fussy, but this will be my home.
Old May 8th 2007, 3:24 pm
Just Joined

LIZ & STEVE is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello - both my wife Liz and myself(Steve) are moving to Portugal this year hopefully in October and we are seeking as much advice about good areas to buy property in the Silver Coast.We are constantly on the property websites and have researched most of the established areas ie Obidos-Peniche-Nazare-Caldas da Rainha - Leira and quite a few others, we are hoping to get as much advice from people living there who perhaps can suggest the areas to avoid and likewise areas that are worth looking at. We are coming out again in two weeks for another week of hunting. We are keen to know where expats are congregated. Can anyone help us with advise of any kind. Looking forward to hearing from as many people as possible.
Old May 8th 2007, 3:50 pm

crispy will become famous soon enoughcrispy will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by avbjvb
Thanks for that Crispygirl, I have looked at quite a few properties in Obidos. I'm just a bit wary of places where there are lots of these new terraced developments going up as they really spoil the natural character of the area.
I think I might be being way to fussy, but this will be my home.

Hi

I didn't mean these terraced type developments, there are lots of places being built in village's. We see a couple that were detacthed and situated to fit in with village life or just on the outskirts of them. I will try and post a couple in my gallery and you can see what I mean; I'll also checked the websites and post them, maybe a couple of days as I have peeps staying with me at the moment.
Old May 8th 2007, 4:36 pm
Just Joined

No, no, not suggesting for a minute you were, just trying to give an idea of what we are looking for, I don't want to live in a little ghetto estate of foreigners, when in rome!!! We'd like an established property is all.

Thanks for your help though, really appreciate it!

AVB