Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

chicken piri piri

chicken piri piri

Old Jan 20th 2007, 3:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute
Default chicken piri piri

Anyone out there got a recipe for good chicken piri piri. Have never been able to make it like you can eat it on the Algarve. Have got packets of dry piri piri which I have tried mixing with olive oil and lemon juice but doesn´t have that same sticky hot in your mouth feel.
Old Jan 20th 2007, 4:11 pm
Not dead yet

Thydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: chicken piri piri

Originally Posted by glynis
Anyone out there got a recipe for good chicken piri piri. Have never been able to make it like you can eat it on the Algarve. Have got packets of dry piri piri which I have tried mixing with olive oil and lemon juice but doesn´t have that same sticky hot in your mouth feel.
You can actually buy Nandos sauce for piri piri
Old Jan 21st 2007, 12:58 am
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

How do you know about Nandos?? Yup, you can get it most anywhere including the UK. http://www.nandos.com/

Easy as pie. Get some of Nando's peri-peri sauce, marinade your chicken in it for a few hours at least, and then barbeque, preferably over coals. Tastes delicious.....Wish I could pop out to a Nando's for chicken like I used to in Africa...

Funnily enough, when we first moved to South Africa from Zimbabwe in the early 80's, we used to order a chicken from a little hole-in-the-wall chicken place. You'd order two hours ahead of time for Sunday lunch, arrive there, take a ticket and join the queue outside around the block. Would take about 2 hours waiting in line for your order. They sold their little concern to another fella who went into partnership and lo and behold, it is now international - Nando's was born. It used to be called Chickenland initially, then became Nando's Chickenland when he bought it out and of course, now it is plain Nando's.
Old Jan 21st 2007, 1:02 am
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Should add. It isn't just a matter of adding dry peri peri spice to it. The sauces are made and then 'seasoned' for a few months.....like wine That is why it doesn't taste as good as Nando's would for example. (They have a killer peri-peri recipe)
Old Jan 21st 2007, 1:48 am
Not dead yet

Thydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TouristTrap
How do you know about Nandos??
I know much more than you think
Old Jan 21st 2007, 11:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you will try to get some Nandos when I get back to the UK this week. I thought all I had to do was use the packet spice.
Old Jan 21st 2007, 11:48 am
Just Joined

algarve_holidayer is an unknown quantity at this point

Nandos is great idea and using their sauce to marinate the chicken is a good shortcut.

However, here is my humble suggestion:

Before grilling the chicken in charcoal l marinate the chicken for a couple of hours in chopped garlic, chopped chillies; a bit of paprika (‘colorau’), a few spoons of olive oil, and a little salt. To ensure I get close to the ‘real’ flavour I use Portuguese garlic, chillies, colorau, olive oil and sea-salt. I get these ingredients from Portugal when I’m over there or go to Portuguese Delis to get them here in the UK!

{If I could I would use Portuguese chicken as I believe that these are different and contribute to the flavour!}

Tip: when you can buy one of the small light metal B-B-Qs sold in the Algarve… They are used by the locals to grill fish and chicken and use very little coal. I think they cost about 6 euros in supermarkets such as Pingo Doce?

I use the above approach in London and it works a treat!

Enjoy the chicken!
Old Jan 22nd 2007, 4:15 am
Account Closed

If you add a bay leaf or two and some white wine or beer to that marinade, you'll have some great chicken. A pinch of peri-peri spice will kick it up another notch.
Old Jan 22nd 2007, 10:31 pm
Just Joined

algarve_holidayer is an unknown quantity at this point

An improved recipe TouristTrap!
Right on! Cheers!
Old Jan 26th 2007, 2:22 pm
Just Joined

rogil is a jewel in the roughrogil is a jewel in the roughrogil is a jewel in the roughrogil is a jewel in the rough

In my humble opinion whatever you do it will never taste as it does when you are actually eating it in Portugal. I don't know what it is but nothing ever tastes the same as it tastes in Portugal. I will have to go there soon......
Old Jan 27th 2007, 1:59 pm
Not dead yet

Originally Posted by rogil
In my humble opinion whatever you do it will never taste as it does when you are actually eating it in Portugal. I don't know what it is but nothing ever tastes the same as it tastes in Portugal. I will have to go there soon......
It's like fish and chips they just never taste the same when you cook them yourself.
Old Jan 27th 2007, 2:26 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Thydney
It's like fish and chips they just never taste the same when you cook them yourself.
Never had it , what does it taste like ?
Old Jan 27th 2007, 2:35 pm
Not dead yet

Originally Posted by jdr
Never had it , what does it taste like ?
Your life has a void you have my sympathy
Old Jan 27th 2007, 5:41 pm
Escaped to the Sun

Mattiespeople is just really niceMattiespeople is just really niceMattiespeople is just really niceMattiespeople is just really niceMattiespeople is just really niceMattiespeople is just really niceMattiespeople is just really niceMattiespeople is just really niceMattiespeople is just really niceMattiespeople is just really niceMattiespeople is just really nice

Hi jdr - have you ever thought of a visit to Portugal? Drive all along Algarve the East, West and Middle are all so different but excellent.
Now back to Piri Piri - I find most places to not add before cooking but provide an oil based sauce. The best is at the Markets where they do BBQ chicken over oil drums - the piri piri is dark red and amazing, Vindalooooo strength - served with jugs of wine, olives bread chips and salad. A good meal for 4 people approx 24 Euro's for the lot!
Old Jan 27th 2007, 6:37 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Mattiespeople
Hi jdr - have you ever thought of a visit to Portugal? Drive all along Algarve the East, West and Middle are all so different but excellent.
Now back to Piri Piri - I find most places to not add before cooking but provide an oil based sauce. The best is at the Markets where they do BBQ chicken over oil drums - the piri piri is dark red and amazing, Vindalooooo strength - served with jugs of wine, olives bread chips and salad. A good meal for 4 people approx 24 Euro's for the lot!
I have family coming over next month. My ma asked what I wanted......nothing they can bring with them, unfortunately, like some good bacalhau or queijo da serra or a bucketload of olives......or my favorite cakes - they're from a small bakery in Belas and they're called 'Fofos de Belas'. If ever in the Lisbon area, head for Belas and ask....I kid you not, but I will make myself sick the minute I arrive at the mother's house - she always has at least 2 dozen of them ready and waiting for us. Just ask any Portuguese person from the Lisbon area about them....SALIVATING HERE people!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.