Get a new life

Old Nov 12th 2006, 3:22 pm
Just Joined

John Thompson is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Get a new life

After what seems an eternity but in reality is only about three years !!! we have finally decided that our destination for getting a new life will be The Algarve. Our children have finally left school and my wife and I can finally leave this God-forsaken country. We are both in our late forties and have run a cafe together and wish to do so again. We have decided that running a Cafe / Coffee Bar / Ice-cream parlour in The Algarve sounds pretty good to us. We would welcome ANY help at all in this subject ie which estate agents are recommended, what areas / towns are the best in fact any advice at all on moving and running a business abroad. We await any replies with great expectancy..........
Old Nov 12th 2006, 3:32 pm
Banned

Jack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Get a new life

Welcome to the site

I cannot help you but wish you luck with your venture
Old Nov 12th 2006, 3:35 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Jack Daws
Welcome to the site

I cannot help you but wish you luck with your venture
Thanks Jack
Old Nov 12th 2006, 3:39 pm
Banned

Jack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by John Thompson
Thanks Jack
Your welcome and you have just doubled your post count. Congratulations
Old Nov 12th 2006, 4:13 pm

Cleri is an unknown quantity at this point

After what seems an eternity but in reality is only about three years !!! we have finally decided that our destination for getting a new life will be The Algarve. Our children have finally left school and my wife and I can finally leave this God-forsaken country. We are both in our late forties and have run a cafe together and wish to do so again. We have decided that running a Cafe / Coffee Bar / Ice-cream parlour in The Algarve sounds pretty good to us. We would welcome ANY help at all in this subject ie which estate agents are recommended, what areas / towns are the best in fact any advice at all on moving and running a business abroad. We await any replies with great expectancy..........
Hi John
I live in the western Algarve.I guess you will want to live/work somewhere touristy? for year round business?
Have you got any favourite areas? I can help with a couple of agents I know,but they are in differing areas.
We have been here 2 years,anything I can help with,just ask
Cleri x
Old Nov 12th 2006, 4:26 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by clerigogirl
Hi John
I live in the western Algarve.I guess you will want to live/work somewhere touristy? for year round business?
Have you got any favourite areas? I can help with a couple of agents I know,but they are in differing areas.
We have been here 2 years,anything I can help with,just ask
Cleri x
Thanks cleri - we have no preference but yes it would be ideal in a touristy area any agents details would be of great use to us.
Old Nov 12th 2006, 5:17 pm

Thanks cleri - we have no preference but yes it would be ideal in a touristy area any agents details would be of great use to us.
Ok Ive PMd you with two I trust
Old Nov 12th 2006, 5:30 pm
Forum Regular

Inish is a glorious beacon of lightInish is a glorious beacon of lightInish is a glorious beacon of lightInish is a glorious beacon of lightInish is a glorious beacon of lightInish is a glorious beacon of lightInish is a glorious beacon of lightInish is a glorious beacon of lightInish is a glorious beacon of lightInish is a glorious beacon of lightInish is a glorious beacon of light

I would warn you, that even the locals find it difficult to run, Cafe`s, restaurants out here as there are so many, so be very careful. Living here we see so many open with great expectations, but are closed within months. The locals have most of the prime sites, so be very, very careful what position you choose, it might look good but if it is not trading or doing very well, think about it, why not. It is a very difficult trade to be in over here as in the UK, so don`t open a cafe or restaurant just relying on the Expats, they have a great deal of choice. I was once a restaurant manager in the UK, and have been asked to become involved out here, but I really don`t want to know, it is so difficult. :scared:
Old Nov 12th 2006, 5:35 pm

I tend to agree with inish.
My local bars/cafes make no money I live in a very british community( :scared: ) and they dont spend their money as you would expect.
Old Nov 12th 2006, 5:40 pm
Forum Regular

Inish is a glorious beacon of lightInish is a glorious beacon of lightInish is a glorious beacon of lightInish is a glorious beacon of lightInish is a glorious beacon of lightInish is a glorious beacon of lightInish is a glorious beacon of lightInish is a glorious beacon of lightInish is a glorious beacon of lightInish is a glorious beacon of lightInish is a glorious beacon of light

I tend to agree with inish.
My local bars/cafes make no money I live in a very british community( :scared: ) and they dont spend their money as you would expect.

Thank you clerigogirl, this must be a first you thinking I am sensible.
Old Nov 12th 2006, 7:10 pm
Just Joined

Ok Ive PMd you with two I trust
Yes got the details - many thanks will be contacting them this week
Old Nov 12th 2006, 7:12 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Inish

I would warn you, that even the locals find it difficult to run, Cafe`s, restaurants out here as there are so many, so be very careful. Living here we see so many open with great expectations, but are closed within months. The locals have most of the prime sites, so be very, very careful what position you choose, it might look good but if it is not trading or doing very well, think about it, why not. It is a very difficult trade to be in over here as in the UK, so don`t open a cafe or restaurant just relying on the Expats, they have a great deal of choice. I was once a restaurant manager in the UK, and have been asked to become involved out here, but I really don`t want to know, it is so difficult. :scared:
Yes we realise there are many potential pitfalls which is why we are greatful for any advice recieved - many thanks for the reply.
Old Nov 13th 2006, 7:38 am
Digging the tunnel

langkate is a name known to alllangkate is a name known to alllangkate is a name known to alllangkate is a name known to alllangkate is a name known to alllangkate is a name known to alllangkate is a name known to alllangkate is a name known to alllangkate is a name known to alllangkate is a name known to alllangkate is a name known to all

Hi John,

Just to add my voice to your welcome here. There is also the expatfocus web site which has a lot of useful contacts on it also. You may feel like registering there too. Not that I am trying to put you off here, just giving you lots of opportunity to get the best advice.

The guys have said all the right things so far, especially cleri who has stated that the brits in Vale da Telha don't always go where you would expect them to go. Albufeira is full of tourists in the summer and dead in the winter. Vilamoura is expensive, and full of golfers, but it does have a life all year round.

Come on out and have a good luck round before deciding anything.

Much love and best wishes in your endeavours.

Kate
Old Nov 13th 2006, 10:19 am

Originally Posted by Inish

Thank you clerigogirl, this must be a first you thinking I am sensible.
Now Im worried!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! we have the same opinion on something :scared:
Old Nov 13th 2006, 11:49 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by langkate
Hi John,

Just to add my voice to your welcome here. There is also the expatfocus web site which has a lot of useful contacts on it also. You may feel like registering there too. Not that I am trying to put you off here, just giving you lots of opportunity to get the best advice.

The guys have said all the right things so far, especially cleri who has stated that the brits in Vale da Telha don't always go where you would expect them to go. Albufeira is full of tourists in the summer and dead in the winter. Vilamoura is expensive, and full of golfers, but it does have a life all year round.

Come on out and have a good luck round before deciding anything.

Much love and best wishes in your endeavours.

Kate
Yes we will need to assess things properly and get out there before we take the plunge - many thanks.