Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

certified translations

certified translations

Old Mar 22nd 2017, 9:48 am
Just Joined

Bifa is an unknown quantity at this point
Default certified translations

I'm applying for Portuguese nationality & need to have birth cert and police cert translated. The notário told me this can be anyone who is not related to me, then they have the translation certified at the notary, but the notary does not check the translation. Can it really be anyone who speaks English & Portuguese translating official documents?? In theory I could translate myself then get any friend with a spare 15 mins to come to the notary & certify them?
Old Mar 22nd 2017, 10:02 am
Just Joined

Default Re: certified translations

ok just found this
https://eurologos-portugal.com/2014/...as-em-notario/
Basically the state trusts the translator to verify their own work is ok! Just another way for the notaries to make money then...
Old Mar 22nd 2017, 1:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bifa
I'm applying for Portuguese nationality & need to have birth cert and police cert translated. The notário told me this can be anyone who is not related to me, then they have the translation certified at the notary, but the notary does not check the translation. Can it really be anyone who speaks English & Portuguese translating official documents?? In theory I could translate myself then get any friend with a spare 15 mins to come to the notary & certify them?
Did absolutely that.. Translated document got a friend to come to Notary with me and the Notary then took his passport and registered him on their files as an official translator , then certified the document - quite bizarre.
Old Apr 3rd 2017, 11:06 am
Just Joined

continuing on translations... now I need to translate my son's portuguese birth certificate for a UK passport application. The gov site says it must be signed & stamped by a certified translator. Anyone know if I can use the same notary method to authenticate translation??