Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Car - to buy or not to buy - that is the question

Car - to buy or not to buy - that is the question

Old Feb 14th 2007, 6:43 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Car - to buy or not to buy - that is the question

Originally Posted by Bensafrim
There are so many interpretations of the importation of a car and even speaking with reputable agents you can get different views of the laws.
Easy to do it if you have residencia seems to be the common theme, and as said in an earlier reply, it can be done once only at no cost if you are a resident.
My dilemma is to find a reliable agent that can act quickly and not charge a fortune to achieve residencia and car importation.
Has anyone got personal recommendations?
Trekking back and forth to the UK every 6m is a pain and it is mandatory to go to get your MOT and tax.
I see many UK reg (old) cars around the Algarve and I am certain that many of the owners do not make the journies to the UK so how do they get around the taxation issue?
Can you get a legally standing UK MOT done in Portugal?
We bought a LHD Golf in the UK and after two years of Santander/Plymouth ferry trips we still think we made the right decision.
Make sure you keep your ferry ticket as you drive in Spain, read zels post ;-)
The Guardia are getting hot on this now.
Old Feb 14th 2007, 8:24 am
zel

zel is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by omostra06
you can get your car tax on line now, and no a pt mot is no good to a uk reg car
In practice this is very hit and miss and you definitely have to have UK insurance and the new 'computerised' MOT.

Saying that this morning I tried to renew my own tax disc for my own car and I have insurance with one of the biggest companies in the UK and the 'new' MOT's and it still say it was not possible!!
Old Feb 14th 2007, 8:34 am
zel

I see many UK reg (old) cars around the Algarve and I am certain that many of the owners do not make the journies to the UK so how do they get around the taxation issue?
Can you get a legally standing UK MOT done in Portugal?
We bought a LHD Golf in the UK and after two years of Santander/Plymouth ferry trips we still think we made the right decision.
As mentioned you can only get a valid MOT done in the UK.

And as for the many cars you see, sure people 'risk it' and roam around in their 'illegal' cars. I guess the question one asks themselves is do you want to be looking over your shoulder and face getting into trouble with the local authority whilst trying to enjoy your new life in a new country?

The fact of the matter is a government is missing out on a lot of missed revenue with these 'illegal registered vehicles' taking this into account it's no surprise to hear that the Portuguese authorities are clamping down on it like they started to do in Spain last year!
Old Feb 15th 2007, 3:02 pm
Just Joined

Bensafrim is an unknown quantity at this point

But...........you can't get your UK tax, even on line, without a MOT certificate. The system checks a database of insurance and MOTs so I am still confused as to how UK plated cars are driven around continuously without having to re-visit the UK
Or am I missing something?
Old Feb 15th 2007, 3:06 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

But...........you can't get your UK tax, even on line, without a MOT certificate. The system checks a database of insurance and MOTs so I am still confused as to how UK plated cars are driven around continuously without having to re-visit the UK
Or am I missing something?
Your not missing it and they are all illegal, and as you can not insure an illegal car, (well they will take your money) the paper its printed on is worthless, so dont get involved in an accident with one. ;-)
Old Feb 15th 2007, 5:06 pm
Just Joined

Sam J is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello,

We imported our UK bought LHD landrover and would recommend that unless you are bringing a car to Portugal that you love, buy in Portugal!

We used an import agent which cost Euros 450, had to have a special SIPO (MOT) (Euros 65), a certificate from the British Embassy (Euros 65), we became residents (we were going to register anyway, but being a resident avoids paying import duty). The whole process took about 1 year with much to-ing and fro-ing.

I hope this helps with the decision.

Sam
Old Feb 15th 2007, 10:35 pm
zel

Originally Posted by Sam J
Hello,

We imported our UK bought LHD landrover and would recommend that unless you are bringing a car to Portugal that you love, buy in Portugal!

We used an import agent which cost Euros 450, had to have a special SIPO (MOT) (Euros 65), a certificate from the British Embassy (Euros 65), we became residents (we were going to register anyway, but being a resident avoids paying import duty). The whole process took about 1 year with much to-ing and fro-ing.

I hope this helps with the decision.

Sam
This whole thing really confuses me when people write such things as we sell a hell of a lot of vehicles to expats moving to Portugal and all of them have no worries what so ever gaining registration.

I think I mentioned it before shortly before xmas we had a client who purchased 2 cars to take to Portugal, Just after new year he sent me photos of the vehicles with all his companies logos on them and Portuguese registration plates. So that's what 2-3 weeks turn around? 1 year sounds like something very wrong happened along the line? Perhaps your vehicle did not have EU type approval?

People say that same about Spain but a member on here (Mitzyboy) just did all in 4 days for his car.

Last edited by zel; Feb 15th 2007 at 10:39 pm.
Old Feb 16th 2007, 7:48 am
Just Joined

Sam J is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

It was only our experience and I´m guessing it took longer as we were residents and went through the process on the basis we would not have to pay import duty on our vehicle. Our agent had to write to the local finanças to get a declaration we did not have any unpaid taxes in Portugal etc....perhaps more bureaucracy and therefore takes longer this way.

Sam

Last edited by jdr; Feb 16th 2007 at 9:40 am. Reason: Deleting advert. No advertising allowed thanks.
Old Feb 16th 2007, 9:57 am
zel

Originally Posted by Sam J
Hi,

It was only our experience and I´m guessing it took longer as we were residents and went through the process on the basis we would not have to pay import duty on our vehicle. Our agent had to write to the local finanças to get a declaration we did not have any unpaid taxes in Portugal etc....perhaps more bureaucracy and therefore takes longer this way.

Sam
Still seems very excessive time turn around, the vast majority of our clients purchase before they move to Portugal so they can achieve tax free importation and they also only took a matter of a few weeks turn around at the very most a month to gain registration once they have residency.

The same can be said for Spain, Perhaps it just boils down to whom you get to do it for you and how efficient they are?
Old Feb 16th 2007, 4:00 pm
Just Joined

Bensafrim is an unknown quantity at this point

Zel
I believe that you are now echoing the more 'modern' and flexible attitude that is becoming more evident in Portugal.
12m ago everything was 'very difficult' but on a number of instances recently I find that the old red tape attitude is being pushed aside.
I guess when Sam went through his tribulations there was still a lot of beaurocracy around. The new Residency laws are simpler and I sense there is more willingness to help people out.
I am keeping my fingers crossed for a quick conclusion for both residency and car registration.
Old Mar 1st 2007, 9:50 pm
Just Joined

hatty is an unknown quantity at this point
Red face Re: Car - to buy or not to buy - that is the question

Well people, I am really confused here and I would appreciate any imput on this dilemma.
I recently purchased a place in Portugal.
Our neighbour in the UK GAVE me a LHD Renault Twingo originally imported from France and subsequently registered in the UK and which is now on UK plates.
As abit of a laugh I drove it to Portugal assuming that due to its advanced years it would probably take its last breath as it approached the house in Portugal. That was 6 months ago and it is going strong and has turned out to be a fantastic runabout.
Now, I tried to matriculate it myself in Portugal, ha ha. A visit to the licensing office in Faro was a scream. A large sheet of paper was handed over to me complete with tippexed over charges.
I have since been quoted E1000 for import duty, [I do not intend to take residencia], plus MOT and other taxes. As far as I am aware all this is completely illegal under European Union guide lines but I do not relish explaining that to the GNER.
So, I am reading from other postings that LHD cars are easy to register : I would welcome anyones advice and direction towards an agent who can talk sense on matriculation in either Portuguese or English. Or someone who will give this great little car a home.
Thanks. Hatty
Old Mar 7th 2007, 10:09 am
zel

I unfortunately can not recommend an agent to help you with this process as I will only ever recommend someone I have dealt with directly.

Most of our clients seem to do the job themselves, so it can't be incredibly hard to obtain.

€1000 import duty on a OLD (assuming) Twingo does sound a lot, how old is the vehicle? and was this just for import duty or the entire process?

If it was the entire process this is an ok price as you're obviously paying for some ones time, import duty, modifications (it will need LHD lights added, fog light switched) all the other associated duties & expenses.

On the subject of import duty, you are indeed correct, this is technically against EU law and if Portugal are anything like Spain (you would assume they are) they will be getting fined heavily on a yearly basis due to this..

Only problem is as with Spain, the fines are probably less than what they make out of it.
Old Mar 7th 2007, 9:44 pm
Just Joined

hatty is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Re: Car - to buy or not to buy - that is the question

Thanks for that.......and you are right about the age of the Twingo, shes 10, which in car years is about 100.
If E1000 had been the total charge I would have bitten the bullet as better the devil you know, with a second hand vehicle I think.
Reading the other articles has made me very determined and I will start afresh with my endeavors. I will keep you posted.Love a challenge