Reload this Page >

Buying a car in Portugal

Buying a car in Portugal

Old Sep 23rd 2017, 6:15 pm
Just Joined

fraser24 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Buying a car in Portugal

Hi,

I have recently moved to the algarve and I am buying a car.
The one i want can be shipped down from a garage in Porto but they require payment in advance. I have found that the garages I have spoken to do not accept credit card payments even for a deposit ( which i would like to do for protection in the worst case scenario)

Does anyone know if it is common in portugal for dealerships to not accept credit cards?

Thanks

Frser
Old Sep 24th 2017, 8:50 am
BE Enthusiast

AliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Buying a car in Portugal

We are going to a dealer in Portimão at the beginning of October and will possibly be paying a deposit on a new car.
We've been dealing with them by email so far as we are in the UK and they neglected to reply to our question about how to pay this deposit.

Like you Fraser I'd prefer to pay by card but I've got a feeling they'll want cash or a bankers cheque.
I've heard that companies in Portugal get quite high charges for credit card payments and that's why they don't like you to use them, they say that it's not just a tax fiddle.

I'll let you know how we get on.
Old Sep 24th 2017, 9:11 am
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AliceCaroline
I've heard that companies in Portugal get quite high charges for credit card payments and that's why they don't like you to use them, they say that it's not just a tax fiddle.
That's it, exactly.

I was able to use my credit card for a deposit on a used vehicle from a dealer but not when the balance was due. They were fine with a debit card payment though.
Old Sep 24th 2017, 9:13 am
BE Enthusiast

AliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Red Eric
That's it, exactly.

I was able to use my credit card for a deposit on a used vehicle from a dealer but not when the balance was due. They were fine with a debit card payment though.
We have a Portuguese Debit Card, so you think we'll be able to pay the deposit with that then?
Old Sep 24th 2017, 11:08 am
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

We have a Portuguese Debit Card, so you think we'll be able to pay the deposit with that then?
No reason at all why not that I can see.

Might be wise to check your limits with the bank in advance - it can be a bit awkward (and embarrassing) having a transaction denied at the moment of purchase
Old Sep 24th 2017, 2:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really nice

... or you can do direct transfer from your bank to theirs. Not sure it has the 'safety' of a credit card though.
Old Sep 24th 2017, 3:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

RichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond repute

What protection does a credit card provide in Portugal? Does the UK Consumer Credit Act's section 75 cover still apply (with a UK-issued card) if the cardholder is UK non-resident? Is there a Portuguese equivalent?
Old Sep 24th 2017, 4:40 pm
Forum Regular

tootlewagon is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Travellove
The cars in Portugal is so expensive.. Better buy in Spain
Not if you want to keep it - if you buy a Spanish car, you will have re-register it in Portugal after 6 months!
Old Sep 25th 2017, 6:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pilou is a jewel in the roughPilou is a jewel in the roughPilou is a jewel in the roughPilou is a jewel in the roughPilou is a jewel in the rough

We are going to a dealer in Portimão at the beginning of October and will possibly be paying a deposit on a new car.
We've been dealing with them by email so far as we are in the UK and they neglected to reply to our question about how to pay this deposit.

Like you Fraser I'd prefer to pay by card but I've got a feeling they'll want cash or a bankers cheque.

I'll let you know how we get on.
Hi AliceCaroline,
We plan to immigrate to Portimao. Is the price of a new car negociable? Or is more or less the official price?
Old Sep 25th 2017, 8:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Pilou
Hi AliceCaroline,
We plan to immigrate to Portimao. Is the price of a new car negociable? Or is more or less the official price?
We've only dealt with them by email so far so it's hard to say.

My husband loves to haggle so we will see what happens when we go to see them in person next month. I'll let you know how we get on.
Old Sep 25th 2017, 8:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

mfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond repute

Yes you can negotiate
Old Sep 25th 2017, 8:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mfesharne
Yes you can negotiate
On brand new cars?
Old Sep 26th 2017, 5:44 am
BE Forum Addict

mfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond repute

On brand new cars?
It probably depends on vehicle & individual salesman to some extent & you've got nothing to lose anyway.

FWIW, a friend of mine bought a new Nissan Qashqai a few months ago & tells me that after negotiation on price & extras he got them down to almost the same price as the UK.
Old Sep 26th 2017, 6:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Pilou is a jewel in the roughPilou is a jewel in the roughPilou is a jewel in the roughPilou is a jewel in the roughPilou is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by mfesharne
It probably depends on vehicle & individual salesman to some extent & you've got nothing to lose anyway.

FWIW, a friend of mine bought a new Nissan Qashqai a few months ago & tells me that after negotiation on price & extras he got them down to almost the same price as the UK.
There is hope .
Old Oct 16th 2017, 5:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Well we paid the deposit for the car with our Portuguese Debit Card and have been asked to pay the outstanding balance by bank transfer the morning that we collect it, in January.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.