Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Buying a Car from Portugal

Buying a Car from Portugal

Old May 26th 2015, 9:17 pm
Just Joined

neilc71 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Buying a Car from Portugal

Hi all, I've bought a car from Leiria in the last few days and was planning on collecting it myself from the dealer and driving it back to the UK. After some research this appears to be a bit of a minefield.

Has anyone had experience of how to do this? I understand it's illegal for me as a UK resident to drive a non UK registered vehicle in the UK (it has to be transported once on UK soil) and then re-registered in the UK under the DVLA import process. I'm resigned to having to do this bit and luckily I'm only 20 minutes from Portsmouth.

The issue I'm trying to work out is how do I legally get my car from Portugal, through Spain, through France and onto the Ferry (at Caen) with me driving it. My insurers have told me I need to have the car insured in Portugal, as my insurance won't cover me until it is in the UK.

Do I have to apply for Export plates/transit plates in Portugal, and use a local insurer? Also, will the Export plates allow me to drive it OK through Spain and France? If so, can anyone recommend an insurance company who could do this?

Finally, what formal documents should I be looking for from the dealer besides the bill of sale? Obviously we have the V5C in the UK, what is the Portuguese equivalent?

Sorry for all the questions but hope someone can help! Many thanks.
Old May 27th 2015, 8:44 am
BE Enthusiast

peterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Buying a Car from Portugal

Hi Neil

I have just driven over to Liverpool in my Pt registered car. My car is Pt insured and is fully legal. Should I wish to reregister the car in the UK then all I would do is contact the DVLA.

I got the ferry at Dieppe and driving through Spain and France I had no problems at all. While driving in the UK I have seen many cars from most of Europe so I don't understand your problem. So long as your car is legal in the country where it is registered then you have no problem.

The only problem I see is that you have been listening to someone who knows someone who knew someone who read about someone who had a problem.

Enjoy your drive to the UK and contact the DVLA with any questions you may have and don't worry.

Peter
Old May 27th 2015, 8:56 am
BE Forum Addict

gedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by neilc71
Hi all, I've bought a car from Leiria in the last few days and was planning on collecting it myself from the dealer and driving it back to the UK. After some research this appears to be a bit of a minefield.

Has anyone had experience of how to do this? I understand it's illegal for me as a UK resident to drive a non UK registered vehicle in the UK (it has to be transported once on UK soil) and then re-registered in the UK under the DVLA import process. I'm resigned to having to do this bit and luckily I'm only 20 minutes from Portsmouth.

The issue I'm trying to work out is how do I legally get my car from Portugal, through Spain, through France and onto the Ferry (at Caen) with me driving it. My insurers have told me I need to have the car insured in Portugal, as my insurance won't cover me until it is in the UK.

Do I have to apply for Export plates/transit plates in Portugal, and use a local insurer? Also, will the Export plates allow me to drive it OK through Spain and France? If so, can anyone recommend an insurance company who could do this?

Finally, what formal documents should I be looking for from the dealer besides the bill of sale? Obviously we have the V5C in the UK, what is the Portuguese equivalent?

Sorry for all the questions but hope someone can help! Many thanks.
Are we talking about a new unregistered car or new registered or used car?
I assume you have no PT address or even a friend here who will let you use their address?
Old May 27th 2015, 10:08 am
Just Joined

Hi, thanks for the replies. I spoke to DVLA that's where the information comes from. It's no problem driving a car from PT to the UK if you live in PT, it's a problem if you have any foreign registered car and then take it into England IF you are a UK resident. You're not allowed to drive any foreign registered vehicle in the UK if you're UK resident. They were unequivocal about this point.

I'm trying to understand what the rule is in PT, I would assume to drive a PT registered car in PT I'd have to have PT insurance, so I guess I'm looking for a temporary insurance policy to cover me as a foreign national to drive the car in PT, Spain and France.

To answer the other question, no I don't have a friend in PT or an address to use.

It's all a bit crazy that we can't just go to France for example, buy a car and drive it back. I thought that was the point of the EU! It seems not though, as we're UK resident we're subject to UK laws and therefore can only drive UK registered cars. If you're from PT, you can drive your PT registered car in the UK, same as we can drive our UK registered cars in France/anywhere in the EU. I assume the same laws apply if you're from PT and you buy a UK registered car, ie you're not allowed to drive it until you re-register it in PT.

EDIT: sorry the car is old, 25 years old, buying from a dealer. I don't think this makes any difference though.
Old May 27th 2015, 10:28 am
BE Forum Addict

gedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to behold

Then you can't insure your car with a PT company, you would need an address and a fiscal number.

The reason I asked about car being new and un-registered is because you mentioned "Export plates/transit plates" as that would have been different indeed.

Edit: Best start looking at shipping containers or road transport.
Old May 27th 2015, 11:03 am
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

OP - I don't know whether this will help you understand (but not necessarily resolve) the situation.

As I understand it, one cannot drive a foreign-plated vehicle in one's country of residence. Nothing to stop you driving a PT plated car in Portugal, nor, as far as I know, anywhere else in the EU (provided, of course, you're insured and the vehicle has a valid inspection certificate etc).

The law is consistent across the EU - so a UK resident can drive a UK plated car in Portugal as long as he remains UK resident but if he becomes resident in Portugal, he has to start the car registration process in order to be allowed to continue driving the car here. When the process is complete, the car is given Portuguese plates.

As I see it, until you get to the UK your only problem is the insurance but I think I recall talk on this forum of a Gibraltar-based company (IBEX, possibly?) that offers cover that may be of interest. Other members may have a better recall of this.
Old May 27th 2015, 11:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Red Eric
As I see it, until you get to the UK your only problem is the insurance but I think I recall talk on this forum of a Gibraltar-based company (IBEX, possibly?) that offers cover that may be of interest. Other members may have a better recall of this.

Link to Ibex

Car Insurance Benefits
Old May 27th 2015, 11:18 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

EDIT: sorry the car is old, 25 years old, buying from a dealer. I don't think this makes any difference though.
As you will only have owned it for a short time, you will, almost certainly, have to pay some inport taxes, and, assuming it's LHD, the cost of matriculating once in the UK, which will mean new headlights, speedo, etc. You will also have to declare it exported with the Portugese authorities. The cost of matriculation could be well in excess of £1000, and the incidentals of short term insurance could be high. Unless the car is a collectors item, then the costs may well exceed the benefits.
Old May 27th 2015, 11:33 am
Just Joined

Hi Mike, yes the car is a collectors item so it's the reason I bought it from Portugal none available locally. There shouldn't be any import duty or VAT to pay as the car has already had it paid in Portugal, that's one benefit of the EU. Certainly there will be costs to make it roadworthy in the UK the speedo/lights as you say.

Thanks for the advice above Fred, this is sort of what I've been able to work out, I will give Ibex a call and see if they can help. I was looking forward to a drive across Portugal/Spain but obviously not going to do it without insurance!!
Old May 27th 2015, 11:39 am
Just Joined

OK cheers, Ibex won't do it unless I live in Portugal. Oh well, it's a shame and seems a little mad, but guess it's destined for a transporter instead. Thanks all for the help.
Old May 27th 2015, 12:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

If it was say an E30 M3 it really would be a shame not to drive it back! All you needed was an address and you were sorted! Seller can't help you out?!
Old May 27th 2015, 12:03 pm
Just Joined

It's very similar to an E30 M3 actually, just from the competition!

The seller is a trader so I doubt they will accept me on their policy, looks like the only option. I'll ask them but doubtful they will entertain risking their policy for my joy ride!!
Old May 27th 2015, 12:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

brodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of light

How about bringing it back on a towing dolly?
Old May 27th 2015, 1:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

It's very similar to an E30 M3 actually, just from the competition!

The seller is a trader so I doubt they will accept me on their policy, looks like the only option. I'll ask them but doubtful they will entertain risking their policy for my joy ride!!
Integrale!!

Traders policy here will only cover him. Even if you could get it insured here you would be driving it back 3rd party only so probably not what you want anyway?!
Old May 27th 2015, 2:32 pm
Forum Regular

algarveandroid is an unknown quantity at this point

Export plates ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.