Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Buying an apartment

Buying an apartment

Old Apr 1st 2015, 5:48 pm
Forum Regular

Dal Dy Dir is a jewel in the roughDal Dy Dir is a jewel in the roughDal Dy Dir is a jewel in the roughDal Dy Dir is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Buying an apartment

Originally Posted by EMR
The irony is that in our area the Chinese have bought complete stalled developments rumoured to be a vehicle for the " golden Visa " scheme.
There is definetly a case that smaller more established developments with a significant existing population of owners are to be preffered.You may pay a little more but in the long term it will be worth it.
It terms of maximising the potential and income from renting you may find the the central Algarve would be better simply because that is where the majority of tourists go.
High season rates for decent 2 bed apartments on a good development £700/week plus ( gross ).
Totally agree Emr, we bought just up from Cabanas (Conciecao) in a small complex which was practically finished and 90% sold. Yes we didn't get an off plan price but we got a finished apartment! There are so many half started / half finished around about us that I can only presume that some poor people have lost deposits on. I notice the companies (won't mention any names for legal reasons) who were bringing people from the UK and taking a nice % of the purchase price have long since disappeared!
Old Apr 8th 2015, 3:49 pm
Smokn Joy

Munsterfan has a reputation beyond reputeMunsterfan has a reputation beyond reputeMunsterfan has a reputation beyond reputeMunsterfan has a reputation beyond reputeMunsterfan has a reputation beyond reputeMunsterfan has a reputation beyond reputeMunsterfan has a reputation beyond reputeMunsterfan has a reputation beyond reputeMunsterfan has a reputation beyond reputeMunsterfan has a reputation beyond reputeMunsterfan has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there, we just arrived in Portugal for the first time the end of January 2015. We bought our dream investment apartment in Cabanas de Tavira for 20k less then the asking price, we can walk to the beach and shops, have a lovely saltwater pool + kiddie pool with a Snack bar...HAPPY as clams we are. If you search under our POSTS here you can follow our search and purchase process (and read all the good advise we got from the members who came here before us). Oh, and we are now both Portuguese residents as well. We just came home from another delicious lunch of: vino, olive 'n bread, Fava bean 'n pork stew, with a coffee for Euros 7.00! As serious eaters on a budget we've died and gone to Heaven being here! Good luck on manifesting your dreams.
Old Apr 8th 2015, 4:03 pm
Smokn Joy

Munsterfan has a reputation beyond reputeMunsterfan has a reputation beyond reputeMunsterfan has a reputation beyond reputeMunsterfan has a reputation beyond reputeMunsterfan has a reputation beyond reputeMunsterfan has a reputation beyond reputeMunsterfan has a reputation beyond reputeMunsterfan has a reputation beyond reputeMunsterfan has a reputation beyond reputeMunsterfan has a reputation beyond reputeMunsterfan has a reputation beyond repute

Quick Note: our apartment complex is 'Costa de Cabanas' located between Conciecao and Cabanas. The early owners went through pure Hell dealing with the now-defunct-Irish-bad-boy developer (currently in jail in Brazil). But many of the owners persevered took over the management of the place and run a nice, clean, tidy complex. They are so friendly and welcoming and meet up for coffees, beers and such. Luckily we don't 'see from the windows' much in the way of ugly re-bar exposed "ghost estates". We have an active farm on one side and lovely old Portuguese homes on the other side and (thank GOD) NO incessant barking dogs, just a stewing rooster who thinks 04h35 is dawn! There are still a couple of apartments for sale here.
Old Apr 8th 2015, 4:04 pm
Just Joined

VeganDJH is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Munsterfan
Hi there, we just arrived in Portugal for the first time the end of January 2015. We bought our dream investment apartment in Cabanas de Tavira for 20k less then the asking price, we can walk to the beach and shops, have a lovely saltwater pool + kiddie pool with a Snack bar...HAPPY as clams we are. If you search under our POSTS here you can follow our search and purchase process (and read all the good advise we got from the members who came here before us). Oh, and we are now both Portuguese residents as well. We just came home from another delicious lunch of: vino, olive 'n bread, Fava bean 'n pork stew, with a coffee for Euros 7.00! As serious eaters on a budget we've died and gone to Heaven being here! Good luck on manifesting your dreams.
What a fab tale! Well done you! Will look at your previous posts with interest! Bit wet and wild near Vilamoura today!!
Old Apr 8th 2015, 4:18 pm
Smokn Joy

Yes stormy here too, but what fabulous day for hanging out on the sofa with me Pat, readn' 'n chattn'. Nuttn' like a wet day to open up some conversation with your sweetheart, yes? Gotta say though, as a old Californian I see Vilamoura as 'wannabe' beach resort...but just my personal opinion. I like the sleepiness of my crossover 'active fishing-village/retirees toddle-town' of Cabanas.
Most especially I like that I can walk from my front door for hours under some massive pines, the shadows of a 17th century fort, across the almond orchards, swing back along the beach and return to a cuppa and a bit of a chat with strangers on the promenade.
Life is good.

Last edited by Munsterfan; Apr 8th 2015 at 4:19 pm. Reason: poor word usage
Old Apr 8th 2015, 6:29 pm
Just Joined

magellen has a reputation beyond reputemagellen has a reputation beyond reputemagellen has a reputation beyond reputemagellen has a reputation beyond reputemagellen has a reputation beyond reputemagellen has a reputation beyond reputemagellen has a reputation beyond reputemagellen has a reputation beyond reputemagellen has a reputation beyond reputemagellen has a reputation beyond reputemagellen has a reputation beyond repute

Munsterfan: I love your 'tell it like it is' messages. I've been following you from the start so know of your journey! We will be there soon and as always we will enjoy every minute of our stay.
Old Apr 8th 2015, 9:39 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Munsterfan
Yes stormy here too, but what fabulous day for hanging out on the sofa with me Pat, readn' 'n chattn'. Nuttn' like a wet day to open up some conversation with your sweetheart, yes? Gotta say though, as a old Californian I see Vilamoura as 'wannabe' beach resort...but just my personal opinion. I like the sleepiness of my crossover 'active fishing-village/retirees toddle-town' of Cabanas.
Most especially I like that I can walk from my front door for hours under some massive pines, the shadows of a 17th century fort, across the almond orchards, swing back along the beach and return to a cuppa and a bit of a chat with strangers on the promenade.
Life is good.
Californian? Where from? Visited California last year. Loved it. Vilamoura is a shiny place with perhaps a darker underbelly but I've always had a soft spot for it and carvoiero has always been my antithesis. Looking forward to seeing where cabanas fits in later in the week!
Old Apr 9th 2015, 8:32 am
BE Enthusiast

ouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond repute

Don't forget Fuzeta!!
Old Apr 9th 2015, 8:55 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by fuzetajan
Don't forget Fuzeta!!
Nope! Still on my visit list!
Old Apr 9th 2015, 9:03 am
Smokn Joy

VeganDJH PM for contact details if you want to catch up when in the area. FuzetaJan has a really lovely place for sale and there is a fantastic place to eat in her town of Fuzeta... can you give the name Jan?
Old Apr 9th 2015, 9:19 am
BE Enthusiast

ouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond repute

It's the Capri, in the square. Shut on Thursday's though

Car boot sale in Fuzeta on Sunday - and the sun should be shining - can always meet up for coffee?
Old Apr 9th 2015, 9:30 am
Smokn Joy

Sounds good we LOVE car boot sales...Sunday yes?
Old Apr 9th 2015, 9:31 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by fuzetajan
It's the Capri, in the square. Shut on Thursday's though

Car boot sale in Fuzeta on Sunday - and the sun should be shining - can always meet up for coffee?
Sounds lovely guys but we're only getting a couple of days there with the kids in tow to get an initial feel for the area so not sure we'll get time on this first visit. If we like it we'll be back for a more in depth search though!
Old Apr 9th 2015, 10:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Yes, Sunday Deb.

Starts about 9.00, but if you can get there early ish, you might not have to walk too far.

We won't be there until later - we just sit at a cafe and people watch - but it's quite big and lots of rubbish, but also lots of good stuff.

Sorry if we miss you veganDJH
Old Apr 9th 2015, 5:05 pm
Just Joined

retiree-optimist is an unknown quantity at this point

We are coming over tomorrow so might venture to the car boot on Sunday. Love watching people too. . . . . we do a competition ' looky - likey ' celebrities ....who can get the most! Needless to say we sometimes forget names and then we have to chat about the programs they have been in. ( Sorry to gate crash the conversation!)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.